So much dang work….

• CaptainMusky

Those small propane tanks have been hard to come by. Last year it took me months to find one. I bought 2 5 pounders but wanted an 11 (there is only around a pound of propane in a 5# tank). Near the end of the season I finally found an 11 and picked that up too. I guess I am hoarding propane tanks like people hoard TP.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Those small propane tanks have been hard to come by. Last year it took me months to find one. I bought 2 5 pounders but wanted an 11 (there is only around a pound of propane in a 5# tank). Near the end of the season I finally found an 11 and picked that up too. I guess I am hoarding propane tanks like people hoard TP.

X2 This past summer and fall I’m glad I stocked up on 1 pound propane tanks. I haven’t seen them in stock at my local Fleet Farm since November.

Reef W

X2 This past summer and fall I’m glad I stocked up on 1 pound propane tanks. I haven’t seen them in stock at my local Fleet Farm since November.

Same by me. Stopped on the way at L&M in Cloquet instead and they had a couple pallets of them but they’re $6 each.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I do the same thing with my to little girls. I haul out my Clam Yukon so the three of us can sit in it. We only go a few hundred feet off shore but that size flip over in any brand is a bear to walk out with, even with a smitty sled (which I have).

I have a snowmobile but my girls are pretty young so it still scares them a bit. I’ve been thinking about downsizing to the Nanook XL actually because of this. Much lighter and still a two man, albeit a tight two man with full size people.

Ripjiggen

Buy a pop up if you have young kids Mahto. Worth every penny. I finally bit the bullet with my five year old and it makes it much more enjoyable. They are not stuck in a seat with rods in front of them. I bought the otter resort and can take the wife and kid with plenty of room to move about. He can stay out all day in this one and when he gets antsy I open the door and kick a soccer ball as far as I can. jester
    He has even taken a nap by putting a couple collapsible chairs together.
    Don’t have to worry about him standing up and walking about.
    He likes to have his own side to himself. With all his stuff.
    If he had to sit the whole time he would maybe last an hour.

The menards where I live always have the propane bottles in stock. 4.49$ regular price this week.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve always said if a guy could go fishing and hunting every day, he’d stay in pretty good shape!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Buy a pop up if you have young kids Mahto.

Almost did this year Ripjiggin. They are definitely nice in certain situations.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I used to go ice fishing a bunch. Always in portables and would typically move several times per outing until we found fish. We never packed light either, lots of food, grill, beer.

I still do it, but finding it’s quite the workout more each year. Especially bringing young kids and keeping them happy adds an extra layer of preparation and gear.

I don’t think a hub house saves much work. Sure it may be lighter on a sled but plenty of effort setting up and drilling ice anchors. More work moving around too. But they are spacious, pros and cons I guess.

Ripjiggen

Actually not much work at all setting one up. My little guy and I am sure Mahto is in the same boat with some real young ones are not running and gunning. Hitting honey holes and if they are not biting we go home.
    I can get an anchor in with a drill in about 3 seconds.
    I have multiple flip overs and when I bring the kiddo give me a pop up all day. Bought it for that sole reason.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Actually not much work at all setting one up. My little guy and I am sure Mahto is in the same boat with some real young ones are not running and gunning. Hitting honey holes and if they are not biting we go home.
    I have multiple flip overs and when I bring the kiddo give me a pop up all day. Bought it for that sole reason.

You nailed it. We go out for an hour or two to get them out of the house and keep them from going stir crazy and if we catch a few bluegills they are plenty happy. Leave the running and gunning for when I’m by myself or other anglers. The hubs are very nice for filming in also though, which is another reason I was thinking about it.

mark Mason

I was just saying yesterday that Ice Fishing isn’t an old mans sport.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Wife and I pulled out two kids last night with the hub, heater, mats and 20lb tank for the heater. By the time we had walked about 100 yards i was spent.

And then I see the guy go by me with his wheeler like it is nothing haha. Guess I need to invest in something to pull.

That said, seeing the kids excitement over a bunch of mud puppies(i know…) was totally worth it!

You made your kids’ day – and that alone is awesome and worth more than any other fish you could maybe catch being more mobile on your own.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.