So I was at Cabelas today…..

• steuben1
    Indiana

I saw a few shimano sienna 500fd’s in the ice fishing area. I have Ticas on all my rods so I wasn’t looking for a new reel. I started spinning the reel and thought this is a really nice reel. I then wondered how much they cost and seen the price of $29. I was expecting it to cost a lot more than that. I went ahead and bought two to give them a try. I am going to hang them on two TUCR precision noodles. Just thought I would post this in case others didn’t know about these reels because I sure didn’t.

By the way, it looks like I will be headed over to your folks area this winter as a trip to Green Bay is in the works! (If Erie ice doesn’t happen) lol

CBMN
    North Metro

Siennas are a great deal. I probably have at least 10 now and don’t think there is a better reel under $40 or $50. Talk to the guys at TUCR about drag washers and cold weather lube as you can make these reels even better for just a few more $ and a bit of your own time.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Put some drag washers in them!

Then they feel like a $45 reel. It is the best reel for the $30 in my opinion.

steuben1
    Indiana

Put some drag washers in them!

Then they feel like a $45 reel. It is the best reel for the $30 in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up John. Is there a thread anywhere that I can learn where to get the replacement drag washers and how to do it?

CBMN
    North Metro

It is very easy and I buy washers from John at TUCR. Maybe takes 5 – 10 minutes per reel. The sienna 2500 size I have done most have a stacked drag with 3 metal washers and 3 felt washers and I replace all 3 felt washers with carbon fiber washers. The carbon fiber drag washer package says they can be installed dry or with grease and I put a little bit of grease on each befor I install. I believe the 500 and 1000 size siennas only have 1 metal and 1 felt washer but don’t remember exactly right now as I have fewer reels in that size.

I think the drags are a lot smoother with washers installed. I replaced the drags in every shimano spinning reel that I own this summer, ranging from symetre’s down to siennas. Majority of my experience using these reels has been open water reels in the 2500 and 1000 size as I didn’t get into this until May or June this year but I’m sure it will help ice reels.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.