So, how did you end up on IDO?

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Was having an interesting discussion last night regarding the original site of FTR (Fish the River). That was more of back in the days when many anglers kept more information to themselves. It wasn’t as common to share and educate. For me, that was the intriguing part of FTR. Suddenly it was being among guys(and a few gals) who genuinely shared great information and was helping each other out. Not the common “Brag Board” you see so often on other sites.

For me, I was trying to get more information on other pool conditions as I was still running the tournament scene for bass and walleye. I was introduced to FTR by Milemark_714. Scott is a great resource and opened to the door for me to the many great people I have met here over the years.
    Immediately when I joined FTR, Ken – Rivereyes- jumped in on a lot of questions and discussions. That’s when I knew this was an awesome site and a very unique group had assembled here. As the years have pasted, we see many come-go-and return. At the core, I still think IDO is one of the best places for honesty, people with integrity, and one of the largest groups of “teachers” that could possibly come together.

So curious, how did you come across or get introduced to IDO and what has been the appeal to keep you around?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thinking back to June 5, 2008… I must’ve been bored LOL! Just kidding! This was back when the hunting side and the fishing side were separated. I believe I joined the hunting side as recommended by my Dad (Steve Root) as a way to learn/share information. It’s been a wonderful 10+ years. I really enjoy the laughs and being able to share with you guys what we all love so much. Whether it’s hunting, fishing, being in the great outdoors, recipes, or funny jokes. I’ve been acquainted with some awesome guys on here and it would be fun to meet some more of you!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m two hours from “The River”. When I first stumbled upon FTR way back when, FTR was a tool for me to have a bit of local current knowledge in keeping up with what was going on 2 hours east of me.
    I still don’t get over to the river much, so enjoy the change IDO brings.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I was on Fish The River. I did alot more pool 4 back than and it was a good source for accurate information and techniques. I stuck with it through the transition to IDO. Still look at it daily.

Mwal

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I joined IDA back when I had a dialup internet connection. I think I was just trying to see what the internet had to offer. Some of the first things I Learned about were the St Croix and sturgeon fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My dad taught me everything he knew about fishing (panfish and walleyes)… turns out he taught me very little. If the eyes didn’t bite on a Little Joe spinner, they just weren’t biting.

I was struggling on the St Croix around 2001/02 and while loading the boat there was a decal stuck to the wall. www dot fishtheriver dot com or it might have been www dot electronicfishingnetwork dot com can’t recall for sure.

Went home and logged in. Dave Koonce posted a picture of a carp that my neighbor caught. Uploading a photo was new to me.

I fished with a ton of Ido members…I started to name them but that would take up way too much space!

I found out that I didn’t know anything about fishing including what a Superdoo, Ringworm or a current break was…just to name a few. Reading the reports, asking questions and just talking to the guys made me realize I didn’t know anything.

I owe everything fishing related to the folks on Ido. toast

catmando
    wis

A twitchy finger, and a bottle of bourbon! jester

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I was recruited to provide entertainment to Targaman.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Superdoo! Haven’t seen that posted for quite a while!

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

When I retired and looked forward to more fishing I also had time to surf the net for information. I also had decided to try out Rainy Lake for insurance reasons. (Medicare doesn’t work in Canada) Found this and other sites it was quite clear that Ido is the best forum for honest fishing information and also much advice on almost any topic. Today many other sites are either gone or not worth viewing but this site just keeps chugging along. A number of people gave me tips on fishing Rainy and I try to do the same when new members ask for information. I fish Rainy 3 weeks every summer and do enjoy some awesome fishing. Of note the first trip to Rainy Lake I actually had to make a trip to International Falls hospital to remove part of a hook embedded in my finger.30 years of Muskie fishing and never hooked myself Walleye fishing a jerk bait and a 20 inch Northern does a double flip and gets me. Go figure.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I pulled a valued IDO keymaster out of Mille Lacs lake. I was prostaff on a different fishing site at the time. Jon invited me to join IDO and I haven’t looked back. Have learned a lot here and met some pretty good people from here.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Hit my head too hard doah

True story, due to significant post concussion problems I wasn’t able to get out and do the hobbies I loved. With tons of free time I found IDO on my endless internet travels.

Followed for a couple weeks and realized people were friendly, knowledgeable, and sooo much great information on more than just fishing!

To date this is the only social networking site I use.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Cant seem to remember the year but do remember waiting for AOL to dial up a connection to the internet first. The rest is history.

Back then I couldn’t find a walleye in the river to save my butt.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Not sure how I found FTR. Probably surfing for fishing or boat related info. Found it to be informative friendly and often entertaining. What can be better than communicating and sharing with nice people who like to hunt, fish, eat, drink and BS like I do.

This seems like an excellent opportunity to Thank all of you who have replied to my posts over the years and been generous with your knowledge on product reviews, boat rigging, boat repairs, fishing tips and reports and hundreds of other topics. Stay Friendly and Thursty my friends.

milemark_714

I found the site maybe back in 2001,waiting out the flood.Fishing the river with plastics is what intrigued me,have not found the need to use minnows since.FTR,and FTL and then EFN.

Hoping the site stays as it is,a few others have gone down the tubes.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i dont recall exactly how i found it, but like some i think it may have popped up somewhere so i checked it out. since i’m a bit bashful it took a while before i actually partcipated. not much of a river fisherman but enjoy the river stories.

and on rare ocassions i even add useful information!!!!!! crazy waytogo

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Wanted to start learning the Mississippi more about 5 years ago and a buddy read the site quite a bit. Started reading up on all the great info on the river and then started posting about 2.5 years ago.

I still use the site for fishing info but it’s mainly to detach my brain from work.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

then started posting about 2.5 years ago

feels like its been a lot longer than that jester jester jester

mainly to detach my brain from work I think we can all relate to that toast

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I believe I was looking up and down the internet dial when I found IDO.
    At the time it was probably discussions on Walleye fishing that brought me here.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I found out about it from watching the IDO videos on youtube and read through forums for a long time before actually joining officially. Found a lot of good insight on fishing/hunting. Now you have me to deal with jester

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Coming home from Superior Wi 1 Saturday in 2006 I was listening to an AM radio fishing show and heard a reference to IDO………
    The next June I spent 2 days at the GTG @ Everts and was hooked……
    Glad I did…..met some life long friends whom I will never forget…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What M. Shark said! waytogo

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Searching the internet for information on fishing the Chippewa river when we camped just south of Cornell. Maybe around 2009.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Waaay back to FTR & FTL days….Lifelong friends as a result !

bigpike

I’m in the 2001 club, always loved the Mississippi River, moved to Eau Claire from southern Wisconsin and some one told me about it. Dial up was king back then!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I was traveling the US as a commercial construction superintendent and had a lot of evening weekend time on my hands and found Fish the River. I don’t remember when I registered on this site if it was still FtR or IDO.

Wasn’t there a different name in between the two?

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Found IDO while doing a search on the internet. Looked around the website and decided to join because of the forums. Since then I check the website daily.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ll be interested to read James response.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Joined when it was FTR & FTL also – has it really been that long? doah wave

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.