So, how did you end up on IDO?

• jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Coming out of my room at the Parkway Motel in Red Wing I noticed another boat in the lot. It had a http://WWW.Fishtheriver sticker on it. Got home and checked it out. Really miss RiverEyes and his pictures.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I was strictly a Bass fishermen really did not know anything about Walleyes. Decided I wanted to learn more and started looking for someone to teach me. Found James Holst as a guide which led to FTR back then when I first joined there waee barely 200-350 people on FTR.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wasn’t there a different name in between the two?

In-Depth Angling Denny…Get The Net!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I was introduced by the man, the myth, the legendary ecnook. Must have been 2009 ish, I think.
    Never really did any walleye fishing prior to joining, went on one of the rainy lake GTG trips and caught the walleye fever, still have it 8 (9?) years later.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I was recruited to provide entertainment to Targaman.

And I always enjoy it! Never forget your Lindsay Lohan rant. I think you’ve even had a kardashian thread.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>
    Wasn’t there a different name in between the two?

In-Depth Angling Denny…Get The Net!

Hummm, I must be aging as maybe that is ringing a bell.
    Or is that something from your trailer that might float down my way? devil

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Began ice fishing 4 years ago when I finished college and needed something to do in the winter to keep me sane.

Joined a few ice fishing forums: In Depth, Ice Shanty, Hot Spot Outdoors, and Fishing Minnesota. I probably just Google searched it. This was clearly the one with the most useful information, with the exception of Ice Shanty, which is okay. The other two were full of trolls, adults obsessed with taking selfies, and people making silly comments strictly for the ‘likes’.

I’m glad I found this place. There are real anglers here. I’m kind of a seasonal poster. I’ll be all about Bass Resource in about a month. Check that place out, bassers! Or Bass Boat Central for their boating info and lively flea markets.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

In about 2005 I was referred to a guy named Dean Marshall from a good friend of mine who is with Irish Setter boots in Red Wing.I mentioned I had an interest in learning to fish this place called Pool 4. After meeting Dean at Everts, buying that video about spring river fishing that James put out, it all lead to the IDO circle.
    I got lucky however, I started with IDO being my 1st experience for a fishing info website. Looked around on the others, got quickly turned off by those other ones. So here I visit daily at least 6x’s daily

Iowaboy1

I was searching Mn webcam sites and came across the Mille lac webcam site.
    there was a few forums on there and I joined one of them.
    it didnt take long to figure out there was a bunch of bitter folks there and it was obvious that it was a dying site.
    one member,dont remember now mentioned this site and I checked it out.

once here I saw that there was a bunch of like minded folks who had a powerful knowledge base and were willing to share what they knew or had just tried and found it worked and passed it on.
    in turn I started sharing my talents to pay back what I learned here.

I have learned many things here,and many of you who have become good friends through either here,my email,or phone.
    I hope to meet many of you in person one day soon.

now if we could just get the James gang to put up a trip give away for active members only that have been here for at least a year!!

wkw

I think it was Dean Marshall when he ran Evert’s. Dean, River Rat Randy (RRR), Shooter, and others would gather for coffee and cookies. My son and I were looking to fish some tournaments, and man did I learn alot there ! And met some life long friends. I also met James Holst there for the first time. Good memories ! Oh, I almost forgot. Bk was there to offer his form of insight too !

deertracker

I joined because my father, Dinosaur was involved with the site. For years I thought it was weird that he would meet total strangers to go fishing. One of those guys was Jon J. It has been 10 years since dad passed and now Jon and I are friends and fish together. Check out the hat that dad was wearing in this pic.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1552525469020.jpg

blank

I was a long time member of the LSF forum and was reading the thread started by the guy who didn’t get the joke and got severly butthurt about BK’s walleye cheeks, and IDO was referenced in that thread. Decided I should come over here and take a look at what the cheek story was all about and fell into the rabbit hole of reading all of the other stuff on here.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Around 2004/2005 I was looking for information on catching flathead and quickly befriended fisherdave on here who offered to take me out to show me the ropes. Eventually I pissed him off, not difficult to do, but not sure how, and that was the end of that. Fortunately during that time I befriended BK.

I generally stick around so people can come together in their annoyance of my unfunny sense of humor and self deprecation.

Come to think of it, it was my unfunny posts that used to annoy Dave a lot.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m a bass fisherman in the summer time. And I was trying to learn how to target walleyes. A few Google searches and I found this forum, I read a bunch for a year and then decided to join to ask a few more questions. Now I check in a few times a day. It’s the best online sportsman forum that I’ve found so far.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Tons of information and ideas

Mostly upper-midwest members

Still wondering what happened to the breast pump………

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Waaay back to FTR & FTL days….Lifelong friends as a result !

and a whole lotta cookies from what i read!!!!!!!! whistling devil rotflol

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

EFN
    The Electronic Fishing Network !!! toast
    I think everything was dialup network back then too !!! hah

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

EFN was a while back Dave. I remember putting together some meals for some tourney’s way back, being on the media staff, getting the food/beverage sponsors and getting the Chippewa Valley BB/BS involved in the events at Everts/Menomonie even picking up and bringing a Little over to Everts as she didn’t have a ride. Some of that stuff must have been 20 years ago.

Deuces

Guess I’m the newbie around here, only been on a few months. I feel like I may have known this site from another lifetime or something coffee

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Stumbled into the IDO site looking for info on the river in the old PWT/RCL days.
    jim

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

agreed Deano! I fished with Tuck a couple of times, James and Dustin a couple of times and finally spent some time down at Evert’s and met Dean. . I believe the journey began in 2001. my buddy designed and I printed the first FTR decals. that red and black one that was cut into an oval. I still have one on the boat. good times.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Over 15 years ago I was introduced to the site from Jeff Patrick. He took pity on me in my early days of fishing the rock river and taught me a few thing that with practice made me a better walleye fisherman on the Rock. Not to mention all the laughs I gave him when we would be fishing similar areas and he would be pounding them and I would have zip. Since this this site has helped me get better as a fisherman on many other bodies of water and have made some great friends. Even met a crazy fishing fanatic that did an amazing job at finishing our basement! And we now get to fish together sometimes.

Such a great site and the best part is idiots that try to post garbage here do not last long!

And don’t forget the Brain K snake shooting pic! Still trying to burn that from my head!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I don’t have a clue how I found FTR. Back in the day FTR assigned a number to each new user ID…thus my post signature…I was FTR #33, or the 33rd person to create a user ID on FTR.
    Back in the day when I pounded a keyboard for a living I was on FTR many times a day while my code was compiling. Have learned a ton and hopefully shared some useful tidbits along the way.
    By far the best fishing site in the upper midwest.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I was a long time member of the LSF forum and was reading the thread started by the guy who didn’t get the joke and got severly butthurt about BK’s <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye cheeks, and IDO was referenced in that thread. Decided I should come over here and take a look at what the cheek story was all about and fell into the rabbit hole of reading all of the other stuff on here.

Not sure if you remember blank, but I was that guy…”severely butthurt” on LSF lol

And that incident forced me to come over and check IDO out also, looking for the “recipe funny man”…BK. If you remember BK made a cameo appearance over there on LSF trying to talk himself out of trouble. blush

Wasn’t long after that LSF crumbled and fell apart which led me back here to IDO. I suppose I’m part of the new generation. razz

…and BTW, I don’t come here for any fishing information because I already know it all. cool

blank

Andy, I know the topic was brought up a couple of times but I know that you weren’t the one who first brought it up and couldn’t get over the joke and wouldn’t accept BK’s responses over there. You weren’t the severely butthurt guy I was thinking of.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I joined because my father, Dinosaur was involved with the site. For years I thought it was weird that he would meet total strangers to go fishing. One of those guys was Jon J. It has been 10 years since dad passed and now Jon and I are friends and fish together. Check out the hat that dad was wearing in this pic.
    DT

I didn’t know Dino was your father. He invited me up to the big lake fishing. We had a great time on the water. Your father was super. Seems like Jon J. was around and maybe Bobber. What ever happened to him?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

idiots that try to post garbage here do not last long!

jester jester jester I’ve lasted almost 20 years jester jester jester

I think your happy with the lower level because I made your wife happy whistling whistling whistling

queenswake
    NULL

I think I found out about it after a post on Lake State Fishing and/or Hot Spot Outdoors/Fishing Minnesota. I still miss those back when they were in their hayday. Just way more activity than this one ever gets. Now everyone is so fragmented across this site and all of the various Facebook pages. It’s not the same. HSO/Fishing Minnesota to me represented the pulse of MN fishing back at its peak. It was THE place to go. The annual thread talking about MN opener was pages long.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I was another LSF user that left as that site has slowly drifted off to die. I was mainly a looker here, until around the time of the BK walleye cheek fiasco, and have been solely active on IDO since then basically. Occasionally check back into LSF for classifieds, Rheinhards Sale and Recipe postings and to recruit the few remaining members over here.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

For me it was when I moved to Minnesota and was looking for “hot spots” in the metro area (at that time, I couldn’t have told you the difference between Lake Minnetonka and the St. Croix River), between this site and others that have been mentioned.

I then realized that this site won’t give the GPS Coordinate hot spots or bragging reports, but when searching through enough info and posts you will be able to educate yourself and really learn how to fish. I then realized I can learn a lot more on this site beyond fishing. Right or wrong, I’ve learned how to fix things, buy tires, sell used cars, build this or that, garden, the list could go on and on.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.