Snowmobile Trail sticker for ice fishing?

• Andrew Rice

I live in ND and have my sled licensed in ND. Do I need a MN snowmobile trail sticker for riding on the lakes in MN? I think I don’t need one but what about the trails on LOW? Are the maintained by the state or Lodges? It’s only $16 so it won’t break the bank, just trying to be informed.

Thanks.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Not the exact same but I’m from WI where they do not require canoes to by licensed and registered. While up on a BWCA trip in Minnesota we had a game warden spot our canoe, already loaded up on top of the car on our way out, which had no license or registration sticker. Let me off with a warning but said in the future we will need a registration for MN. THIS WAS 15 years or so ago too.

MN doesn’t miss an opportunity for a money grab.

deertracker

That sticker is to use state or grant-in-aid trail including a grant-in-aid trail in a road right-of-way. I’m not sure who owns the trails up there.
    DT

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I live in ND and have my sled licensed in ND. Do I need a MN snowmobile trail sticker for riding on the lakes in MN? I think I don’t need one but what about the trails on LOW? Are the maintained by the state or Lodges? It’s only $16 so it won’t break the bank, just trying to be informed.

Thanks.

personally, i’d send the MN DNR an email asking that very question!!!!!!!

Andrew Rice

That’s what I was thinking Glen.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think I don’t need one but what about the trails on LOW? Are the maintained by the state or Lodges?

I’m almost positive you need one for lotw.

Andrew Rice

Okay folks, after a few phone calls I believe I have the correct answer. I talked to DNR headquarters a few times and they all told me I don’t need a sticker if I’m on the Lake. They seemed a little unsure though, what made me question them was when I said I was going to be on Lake of the Woods and the person I was talking to asked me if it was an inland lake or a Boundary water. That made me question them a little. So I finally decided to try get a hold of the DNR officer for the Warroad area. Eric Benjamin was the DNR officer I talked to and he told me the trails on LOW are grant in use trails and therefor I DO NEED a trail sticker. He said if I’m riding on the Lake but not using the trail I wouldn’t need the sticker.

I figured I might as well find out from the guy that would be writing the ticket. So there you have it folks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.