Smoking German Brown Trout

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Anyone smoke browns? Love smoked lake trout; have never heard of or seen smoked brown trout for sale. Guessing they may be pretty strong, but would appreciate any input…

Thanks

Pete

Jimmy Jones

They smoke up just fine and are not any different than a rainbow.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Browns are better than rainbow for smoking because their meat has a higher fat/oil ratio. Same smoking process just better flavor and texture with browns. Enjoy!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t smoked them in years, but they are great!

As above, brine them and smoke them like any other trout. I like Applewood personally.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks guys. Heading over to Milwaukee area this weekend to end the fishing season.

Pete

onestout
    Hudson, WI

If the trout are German they will already have enough smoke in them, just need to fry them up.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Trophy19, are you planning to troll, or jig the gaps and harbor area? Interested in seeing how you do, as I plan to hit it myself next week after returning home from a trip. Tis the time of year to jig the gaps and harbor, but trolling inside also can produce fish.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Fun weekend in Milwaukee…. not a lot of fish in the boat, but then we didn’t get on the water before 10:00 either morning. Had best luck next to the bridge casting diving cranks and spinner baits. Tough fishing outside the breakwater, pretty lumpy.

Smoked a couple of fish – not bad….not bad at all.

Stayed at a VRBO outside of town and this dude walked into the yard at 7:30am to munch on apples.

Attachments:
    1. fish-scaled.jpg

2. deer.jpg

buschman
    Pool 2

I haven’t smoked them in years, but they are great!

As above, brine them and smoke them like any other trout. I like Applewood personally.

I moved to alder base and will mix apple or pecan in but like that Alder for my salmon now. Yummm…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.