Smoker

• Umy
    South Metro

Just got a new Masterbuilt charcoal smoker for Christmas. Have read the old threads but……
    Do you use Kingsford ( briquettes) or lump charcoal and why?
    Do I need to add a gasket around the food door – the fire pit door already has one.

CaptainMusky

Shouldn’t need a gasket for food door. I’d use lump personally but if it’s hard to find briquettes are fine. I feel you get better flavor from lump.

Umy
    South Metro

Excellent
    Thanks
    Seasoned it yesterday, ready to cook!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Kingsford is dusty and has a lot of small Ash from that, I prefer B&B from Ace, burns a lot longer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I used the professional briquettes from Kingsford for years. Nothing wrong with them.

Started using the Kamado Joe jumbo lump from Lowe’s and I like the taste of the food better. Briquettes seems to have just a hint of bitterness. Seems to last longer than the briquettes too. I use larger chunks of hardwood for smoke. Only need about 5-10% hardwood to charcoal.

Umy
    South Metro

These are what I’m looking for. Thanks guys

CaptainMusky

Enjoy your new toy and be sure to post pics of the results! I am new to smoking. Bought a kamado in 2019 and a Bullseye pellet grill/smoker last March. I use it every chance I get.

duh queen

If forced to use briquettes, make sure to NOT use an easy start variety. They contain oils that will contaminate your food. Personally, I don’t like diesel as a condiment.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I tried lump on my 560. It didn’t work very well. The big chunks get wedged higher up and you get uneven cooking temps.

Masterbuilt does make a lump charcoal for the gravity fed series that works well.

Kingsford is ok but B&B briquettes are larger and burn longer before falling through the grate.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I used the professional briquettes from Kingsford for years. Nothing wrong with them.

Started using the Kamado Joe jumbo lump from Lowe’s and I like the taste of the food better. Briquettes seems to have just a hint of bitterness. Seems to last longer than the briquettes too. I use larger chunks of hardwood for smoke. Only need about 5-10% hardwood to charcoal.

I use primarily Kingsford professional briquettes for smoking on my weber. I’ve used lump in the past but it burns so hot I had trouble regulating the temperature. Curious how you navigate that or if you experienced the same

CaptainMusky

It shouldnt burn any hotter I think your issue is with a lot of really small pieces and likely too much air flow. To control temp keep the bottom really closed and adjust the top vent. The top is what controls the temp since it pulls air up.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I use primarily Kingsford professional briquettes for smoking on my weber. I’ve used lump in the past but it burns so hot I had trouble regulating the temperature. Curious how you navigate that or if you experienced the same

The Kamado lump charcoal has a lot of really large chunks. I do my best to break them in to equal size pieces so I don’t get hot or cold spots.

Also, I have a ThermoWorks Billows for my Weber Smoky Mountain and it holds temps, really really well. This is probably the key.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Isn’t lump supposed to burn hotter and faster?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Isn’t lump supposed to burn hotter and faster?

I think it depends on the type of wood the lump is from. The Kamado Lump is some South American hardwood that’s supposed to burn longer. I personally don’t notice much difference in burn time.

Many of the expensive lump charcoals are from some specific wood types that are supposed to burn longer.

CaptainMusky

The airflow is what causes anything to burn hotter. Lump will not burn any hotter than briquettes unless its basically dust. If you have good size chunks and your vents set accordingly it will burn very low. I have cooked under 125 degrees using lump before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.