Smoked Salmon – Pellet grilling help

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve been hungry for some smoked fish. I think its time I give it a try on my newer pellet grill. Looking for advise, recipes, tips to get me started. For starters, what is the best flavor of pellet to use to smoke fish? Any and all advise is appreciated.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Sharon, I’ll see your apples and raise you some protein

Brad Dimond

We don’t have a pellet smoker, use wood. Best salmon flavor for me is with apple or maple. One of the crew has apple, pear and maple on his home farm. Pruning give a continuous supply of wood although now our kids are starting to smoke as well and the demand has increased.

Coletrain27

ive tried pretty much every flavor and really cant taste much of a difference for me to say its worth buying different types for individual cooks. just my opnion, competition blend works fine for me for everything

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

ive tried pretty much every flavor and really cant taste much of a difference for me to say its worth buying different types for individual cooks. just my opnion, competition blend works fine for me for everything

X2

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I also think that any fruitwood works best with salmon. Whatever you do don’t put your fillets on the main rack. That is too close to the fire source even on the lowest setting. I put mine on the warming rack and still have to watch it very carefully.

Dean Dysart

I smoke salmon often. Brine over night In a mixture of water, brown sugar, and course salt. Wash, pat dry, air dry for an hour. Set your Pellet grill on lowest setting. Brush salmon with real maple syrup and soy sauce mixture. Place Fillets on perforated pan and smoke for 3 – 4 hours. Continue to brush on syrup mixture until the end. Turn fillets at least once.

Not seeing any difference in flavor from different smoke flavors.

Good on green salad, as a snack on crackers with seasoned cream cheese, small slice of red onion, fresh or pickled cucumber.

If fillets are left on too long, you will have the best salmon jerky. This will make a great snack on the road.

Enjoy and report back on your success.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.