Smallmouth Bass fishing trip on the upper Miss. in northern Minnesota

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I got a name here on the site of a guy that I thought I kept in my past messages specifically for a trip on the upper Mississippi, Low and behold I could find his name. So I’m here asking the guys who live on the upper miss or have gone on trips especially for nice smallies. The trip will probably be around late July or in August sometime. He doesn’t have to have a jet boat, just good knowledge of that stretch of the river. Small fish in the catch is ok to keep our attention and to keep from getting bored, but Id like to see around a 18″ average and a better then average catch of 20″ too 22″ fish, I’ve yet to break the 6 lb. mark and Id like to do it on this trip. A single day or a weekend trip would be in the makings. You guys know of anyone who you can steer us too, there will be 3 of us, my boy, his friend and myself and don’t need all the frills and I prefer it that way, just a good guide and a good area to fish for one for the wall, thanks in advance,,, Dan,,,,, I was just on Google earth and found a dam that’s called Blanchard dam that’s about 3 miles as a crow flies N.W. of the Royalton area on the Mississippi. Dan Gapen said years ago that he thought the next world record would come from the Royalton to Rice Area of the Mississippi, any thoughts about this area.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

18″ average?

That would be a pretty sweet day!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Hamm, maybe I’m wishing for an average size that’s too big but I do know that on the northern miss the average size does go up, here its 15″ too 17″, from what I’ve read the northern miss is a good choice for smallies, did some checking last year and I think its one of the better choices west of the Mississippi that’s not too far of a drive, 3-4 day weekend kind of trip.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

Those are some pretty lofty goals! Hope you guys can make it happen

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’m no bass expert, but always seemed to me river fish were skinnier than their lake counterparts. What they lack in girth, they sure make up for in fight though!

Hope it happens for ya man.

Just curious, with all the attention around Mille Lacs, even pros saying it’s the cats meow wouldn’t that be an option?

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

That would be my choice right now if I was looking for a #6 smallie

dbright
    Cambridge

Most of the Upper Mississippi guides that know of fly fish out of drift boats which will limit you to two guys fishing per boat. I’m sure most will be happy to bring guys out with spinning gear.

FryDog62

If you can wait until Fall, that’s when the big girls come down stream and load up for the winter. Best chance for a 6’er. Can’t tell you how many stellar trips I’ve had up there with my kids, dad, friends. Guides name is Joe Scegura and he’s on this site. First class trips, first class guy…

jsguideservice.com

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m going to bring my Jon boat so maybe a guide would want to go with us instead of a drift boat. I brought up Google earth and brought up the stretch between Royalton and Rice and it looks good, the reason why is because Dan Gapen one of the old school guides/fishermen back in the 70’s said this is a very good stretch of the river and he looked for the next world record to come from this part of the Mississippi, so I figure its got to be fair to good, even if the Smallie population is different then it was 40 years ago. With the visual rock and gravel bars that shows up the crawfish and minnow population is probably pretty good so it looks like the scales are tipped in our favor if I was to go it without a guide, maybe that’s the better way to do it. Now to find a campground or cheap motel that’s close by.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Frydog, I’m glad you commented with the amount of nice smallies you have in your picture, why not during the dog days of summer? any particular reason(s) I choose those months because there may be a better probability of lower water levels and a clearer river and drifting crawfish under a slip bobber might do the trick for big ones.

Charles

So why would they next record come from that area?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m not sure Charles but if Dan Gapen said he was looking at that area its got to be a decent spot. Rivers change so I don’t know.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The reason I fish the fall is because the fish get “hangry”! They have to eat, so they get aggressive! Summer can be great too but they’re in skinny water. You need a small boat, extra prop and a motor you don’t mind bumping rocks with occasionally. I’d be willing to take you in the summer and show you how to navigate the shallow water. Sounds like a fun trip, good luck!

Attachments:
    1. Kathie-4.png

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

every fall I would hit the river north of st. cloud became a yearly tradition wife would go to little falls craft show and I would go fishing. good enough action on the river monsters once a year has turned into a couple times a year. regarding time of the year fall they should be hungry but probably worth while any time there hasn’t been a bad stretch of rain raising the water and making the water muddy.
    Have fun!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I went on a trip by Brainerd with Steve Dezurik back in the day. He was running that jet boat and it was a blast. Big fish.

slabz

I’ve spent a good amount of time on the river between Blanchard dam and the Sartell dam. Smallmouth fishing is very good in this stretch. An 18″ average though? Probably not likely here although you will catch your fair share of fish over 18″. Mille lacs is your best bet if you truly want a chance at a 6lber in my opinion.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dan Gapen one of the old school guides/fishermen back in the 70’s said this is a very good stretch of the river and he looked for the next world record to come from this part of the Mississippi,

Didn’t Dan Gapen say that about many of the spots he fished? tongue

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Mille lacs is your best bet if you truly want a chance at a 6lber in my opinion.

X2 !

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Royalton to Rice Area of the Mississippi, any thoughts about this area.

Yeah, bring a couple lower units! I grew up fishing the Rice area of the Mississippi, and basically north of the Rice bridge you have to be VERY careful. There are a ton of smallies in this area, same as below the Sartell dam, and likely up river a ways from Blanchard. All these areas are very shallow, with a lot of boulders. Also I think you would catch a lot of fish during a weekend on any of those stretches, and maybe a couple over 18″ but I wouldn’t say a 6lber is a guarantee or even likely. If that’s what you’re after, go to Mille Lacs. If you do fish the river the area just north of the Sartell dam/Blanchard Dam/Little Falls dam are relatively deep and not the best areas for smallies imo. If I were going on the trip, I would look to Crow Wing State Park or the Camp Ripley area, although I haven’t been there personally.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This is what I was hoping for is lots of good information from you guys who live up there. Maybe Mille lacs is the best bet for a big smallie, I thought you guys would know where the best bite is, Thanks! Now too make up our minds,,,

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Again no bass guy, but have targeted them a bit in the Monticello and south area in the fall and would agree, with the lower flows and typical find the bends approach it can be lights out phenomenal. But with any fall fishing, really hit or miss, if you’re traveling aways would be too bad to get on a tough bite. Then again, that’s the gamble to take for tankers!

dbright
    Cambridge

Big baits big smallies. I boat alot of smallies through the year on musky baits. I have started using larger baits when I am smallie fishing. Mid summer I would look for skinny water stretches. Even if you are using your own boat plan on doing a float trip then there is less worry about tearing up your motor while on your vacation. There are shuttle services on most parts of the Mississippi and St Croix.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

With the mobility Id have fishing out of my own boat and being able to fish any stretch of the river I wanted , I’ll probably take my own boat, maybe there would be a local lake that has a good bluegill bite going and Id be able to fish that too, ya never know. I agree with using bigger baits for smallies because I use a 5″ floating minnow and I still get smallies that are 8″ long. We have some planning to do but we’ll make the choice that’s right for us and what we want to do.

I fish a couple smaller rivers here with lots of boulders and rock bars and I occasionally hit one, but I’ve learned to go slowly and rake the prop wash up and 15 to 20 inches of water is safe if a guy does it right. Wide open or even close to that and hes going to do damage to the prop or lower unit, no doubt about it. Thanks again all you guys.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mille Lacs without a doubt. Use your electronics to find rock piles and large boulders and you will find the smallies.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Mahtofire, I appreciate the advice. Is there any advice on what side of Mille Lacs to put in at, south, north etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.