Smallies are done spawning here in Iowa

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Fished today at the same spot that for the last couple weeks produced big females. The catch today was all smaller males and one Female down from the place where we fished previously. A bigger bag today of different species then last week and locations of where we caught fish were different, all in all a good day. Its definitely a different bite and its amazing what a 5 day time period can make when it comes to location and depth when nature wants to take its course. Their hungry so get em.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

You fishing the rivers or Iowa Great Lakes? I was thinking about hitting Okoboji for a day trip but didn’t know how far along the smallies were

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

We’ve been Fishing the Wapsi Tyler. The males were still hungry using minnows, the females were done and off their spawning beds and caught just one post spawn down river 100 yrds. The wapsi’s a cooler running river but not too cool to wade, so comparing metabolisms, Okoboji to the wapsi Im not sure. Only one way to find out forsure,,,we were catching fish 20 too 1 using large minnows and slip bobbers over small lures.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

That’s interesting. I fish the Wapsi from time to time around Independence and have done well around there. I actually bass fish the Cedar a lot. Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Waverly and Nashua but haven’t hit the rivers at all this year.

FryDog62

Curious what water temp did they stop spawning at?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Don’t know fry, didn’t have my fish finder in the boat, forgot it. A week ago the temp was 62 but a couple days ago I Don’t know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.