Small Food Plot Worth It?

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m hunting a new spot this year. I’m on the edge of a swamp to my left, about 20 acres, and 20 acres of alfalfa on my right. Woods strip right down the middle of the two on the edge of a creek. We did some clearing of some shooting lanes and created a new path as well. We cleared about 1/3 of an acre earlier last month. I’m wondering if a food plot 1/4 to 1/3 acre is worth it in this type of area. There’s not much else for agriculture within a half mile or so.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

All food plots are good. Something different will definatly bring in does and that will bring in the bucks. My food plot is 1/4 acre of winter peas and radishes surrounded by beans, corn and alfalfa and I’ve shot a buck every year since I put it in.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Yes, if nothing else it will bring them closer to your stand rather than wonder the 20 acres of alfalfa. You already have the land cleared so why not.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Especially of there isn’t much ag around, small food plots are almost always worth it (if you ask me). We have done very well putting in smaller (2 acres and smaller) plots on certain areas of our property. Overall deer activity is more consistent, and when it comes to the rut, doe activity usually equals buck activity.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We cleared about 1/3 of an acre earlier last month. I’m wondering if a food plot 1/4 to 1/3 acre is worth it in this type of area. There’s not much else for agriculture within a half mile or so.

It’s totally worth it, but if the property is in the northern half of MN, etc, then plant NOW!

And I’ll say it again, my friends, never take food plotting advice from somebody on a hunting show with a southern accent. The rules are totally different here in the north.

Forget brassicas, throw and no-grow, etc. You only have time for rye (cereal rye). Seed it heavy and fertilize and pray for a fast rain. Rye is the only thing you have time for now, but it’ll be awesome if you get it in quickly.

Grouse

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Thanks, FG. Question – do we need to till for the rye? It’s in the northern metro, so not far north. What soil prep would we need to do?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If you can till, do so. Otherwise disc, harrow, scratch or claw.

Grouse

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Yes sir that size is perfect for a small bait plot. That will bring them closer for a EZ shot. Good Luck this fall, hope you get big buck for all your hard work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.