Small CNC Lasers

• jwellsy

I’d like to get a small CNC machine with interchangeable spindle & laser heads (possibly even a small plasma cutter) and about a 12″x12″ stage. I’d like to be able to cut up to 3/16 or 1/8″ metal. I’ve seen some combo units for about $500. There also seems to be a $250 price point that are probably total junk. A lot of things usually take $1000 (or more) price point to get a decent unit. I’d like to find something in the $500 – $1000 range. You can get a decent plasma cutter for that kind of money. But, if I go that route I’d need to do a bunch grinding to smooth out my shakey hands.

Any suggestions on small CNC machines to consider or stay away from?

duh queen

Save your money. You can’t get a decent mill, or a laser for $500, let alone a combo unit. Any laser strong enough to cut metal will cost multiple thousands. Read up on laser safety, what you can and can’t safely cut, and the toxic gases you’ll generate cutting plastics.

Jason

Your going to need to describe your part design better and whether or not you are going to need software to make it usable…
    After that gets answered a guy might be able to point you towards the correct unit. A <1k china machine isnt going to get you anything special.

jwellsy

The parts I want to make are small brackets that I should be able to cut out of 1/16″ brass flat stock then fold into shape with a small brake and mandrel press. I might be able to use a mini-lathe as a mill. I’ve got several 3D printers, so I’m used to that CNC form factor. I’m not looking for anything special, just functional. The parts I’m reproducing were originally cast in 1906. So a few irregularities wouldn’t be a big deal. These are basically one off parts. I don’t need to set up a production line or start a business.

I could just get a hand held plasma cutter and a knife grinder and go for it. But, CNC stuff is fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.