Slow down

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I know of 2 atv’s and 1 SXS that have gone through on LOTW. It was open water a week ago and now they have had 2 cold nights, might want to give it a little more time before driving out there.

CaptainMusky

People need to use their head and listen to those where they access out of too. Some guy drove across a crack on Red and almost lost his wheelhouse AFTER he was told by the resort to stay away from cracks. SMH

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go tell them

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Your supposed to speed up going over cracks…KIDDING!

On mille lacs some years ago I saw not 1, not 2, but 3 trucks all within 100 yds all abandoned with wheels in the same crack.

All I can quantify is that person 2 must’ve been several times dumber than person 1, and person 3 I have a hard time imagining the level of intelligence necessary to be the 3rd.
    applause

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There’s no way to sugarcoat it. This happens every winter and it will continue to happen. I don’t have much empathy for this

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Good message but ‘it was open water a week ago’ is a little misleading. Sure there may have been some small open pockets but most of the lake was locked up. There were plenty of wheelers and sides by sides out there this past weekend and I am guessing the resorts will have their plow trucks out there this week if they don’t already.

We made our way through the chunk ice and wandered out beyond the crowds. Ice did vary quite a bit once you got past the chunk ice since it froze in big sheets that had open water in between them so use caution. My guess is these people went through because they didn’t take the time to get out and test the cracks or test the new sheets of ice they were crossing on to. Now that there is a layer of snow on the ice, seeing where the new ice sheets start will be more tricky.

Not really misleading, you even said it was open. One of them that went through is a guide that you would think would know better and know how to check ice…..can make for a short life if you keep making that mistake.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

If you spend enough time on the ice you’ll learn that it’s never “safe”.
    Bad things can happen even in perfect conditions. Ice is not a solid object, it’s constantly changing and moving. What was safe an hour ago may or may not be safe now. I know a plow driver on mille lacs who went down a few years ago on a heavily traveled road with 18+” of ice. No warning, it just opened up and swallowed.
    Let’s not judge without being there and knowing the situation. Especially in the case of a guide. He has to take those risks every day to feed his family.
    Maybe mistakes were made, maybe it was just the nature of the beast.

Jeff Anderson posted a video on youtube yesterday, they were way out past the chunk ice on wheelers last week on 8″.
    All the guides up there are going hard risking everything and preparing for us fisherman to come and feel “safe” on the ice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This would normally be where someone posts “The only safe ice is in my glass”.

There, got that out of my system… now excuse me while I pour another Angels Envy Rye over my chunk ice.

Deuces

Good bobby valentino song

shefland
    Walker

David Shefland
    December 13, 2014 ·
    Shared with Public
    Well the other day I posted about the ice and pressure ridge extending from ericksons landing to cedar point, and warning people to be careful, I should have heeded my own words. First night in the house, 11 feet of water, 10 inches of ice, 40 yards north of the ridge. On the way out I thought it looked different then the day before, then while fishing we heard some different noises coming from somewhere, we packed up at 5:30 and started home, 2 Polaris rangers, I followed my gps track back and in about 50 yards or so the front end dropped thru and the front end slammed against the ice, rear end on top of the ice cab filled up to nearly knee deep, not a good feeling, luckily the guys behind me didn’t sail in also, I had to get out, I tried the drivers side first and was waist deep and could not feel anything but water, tried the passenger side and felt ice about thigh deep, held on to the box of the ranger and made it to safety, my friends winch hooked up to my hitch and it cranked it out amazingly, of course my machine was not running anymore and towed it home, about 3 miles.It was 34 degrees out, my machine? well I just do not know what happened to it, I am lucky to be typing this story. So do not go anywhere near ice ridges, they can change, hour to hour, this area if it snows could be a whole winter problem. Travel at night can be dangerous because you do not see the area as well, do not fish alone at night, I am looking at 20-20 hindsight now but I for one will not be out this evening, oh yeah almost forgot to tell, no fish. BE CAREFUL, and that means me toos is a old story, happened to me in 2014, I learned from it Just reposting a ice event in my life, year 2014 here on Leech

The_Bladepuller
    South end

My brother from a different mother called me about 4 years ago. His grandson dropped his recently gifted to him 3 yr old Yukon in West Rush. Thing is the picture he sent me showed the truck axle deep in the middle of a 30’+ pool of open water. Hell of a scare I would guess for the kid.
    When Jack (my buddy) was working for Terry McQuoid maybe 25 yrs ago he had the plow truck he was in go in.
    Geo Nitti dropped his duece & a half in ….4 yrs ago?
    As I look out I see Beachside out spudding and plowing with his SxS

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Calling a $10-12hr resort employee a “guide” is a far stretch…

castle-rock-clown

I also am on a snowmobile forum and those guys are praying for snow and the ice is predominately 4” thick at best. I tell them pray for more cold before snow so the routes over lakes and flowages are safe, but it’s like they (some of them) are too crazed and poo poo the advice. Here’s to hoping everyone stays topside.

Ripjiggen

Same story different year. Does this really surprise anyone? I am willing to bet a similar topic has been posted every December since the site went up.
    It’s like putting out a PSA for fireworks the week of the 4th.
    Duh they go boom.
    Yet every July there is someone that can no longer give a proper high FIVE.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.