Slow Death Weight

• jake47
    WI

How do y’all attach the bottom bouncer to your mainline? Do you thread it right through? Use a three way swivel? Use a snap swivel as stopper that connects to the barrel swivel?

Also, any thoughts on what style weight to use?

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

I use a snap swivel with a bottom bouncer with a closed eye.

If you have open eye bottom bouncers you can tie directly to the y.

I use the traditional style of weight.

Use a good quality swivel to attach the slow death snell to the bottom bouncer to prevent the snell from coiling up.

General rule 1 oz per 10 feet of water depth from 0.8 to 1.2 mph. If you are in 20 feet of water 2 oz.

Deuces

Overlooked slow death is on the weedlines. Those things catch everything. Use a bullet sinker to slither around them.

jake47
    WI

I use a snap swivel with a bottom bouncer with a closed eye.

If you have open eye bottom bouncers you can tie directly to the y.

I use the traditional style of weight.

Use a good quality swivel to attach the slow death snell to the bottom bouncer to prevent the snell from coiling up.

General rule 1 oz per 10 feet of water depth from 0.8 to 1.2 mph. If you are in 20 feet of water 2 oz.

Are you saying you clip both the bouncer and the slow death swivel on the same snap?

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

No, usually the bottom bouncer comes with its own snap to attach the snell to.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use a 3-way.

Loop knot on the dropper so I can change weights easily and fast.

Deuces

Perhaps Jake is talking about the latter BB here
    bb
    bbg

tim hurley

Ok dumb question here: if you have a half crawler on a SD hook do you have to wait to set the hook? I am basically a bass guy trying to get a few walters and have a hard time waiting to set the hook-Thanks

jake47
    WI

Perhaps Jake is talking about the latter BB here
    bb
    bbg

Yes, I am. I don’t have a lot of room in my boat for traditional hanger style bottom bouncers so I was looking at the pencil type since they can fit in a Plano box easily. However, I saw a rigging example that uses a quick change clevis above the swivel so you can add whatever clip on weight you want so I am going to give them a try.

Quick Change Clevis

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Jake.
    Do yourself a favor and never buy another expensive bottom bouncer.

I have a mold and can make mine for pennies… And I still don’t use them.

#1 they create drag. So you must use heavier weight to accomplish what a lesser weight could on a 3-way.

#2 when you drop rod back to feel bottom… You will have a much harder time feeling bottom vs having a round weight that alerts you immediately when it contacts bottom. The wire also lays down in that case.

#3 if you use the L shape it is tangle prone. If snagged you lose everything.

#4 if using l style you use it as a slip sinker. However this style doesn’t do much for keeping you off the bottom when dragging the weight.

#5 3-ways and weights are more versatile. I can run a longer dropper. When I drop rod back it hits bottom. I know I’m in the zone. If I want to be 2-3′ off bottom, I adjust dropper length…I don’t try to play that game where you hit bottom and reel in 3- cranks. If you are using a bottom bouncer and you want to be off bottom, you gotta reel up. This makes a quick drop back to check depth harder.

#6 bottom bouncers are expensive and challenging to store. I prefer bottom bouncers 3oz and up… And they’re challenging to find and expensive to buy.

Ditch the bottom bouncers guys…

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

The bottom bouncers I use are open loop. I actually have a pack of o-rings I slip over the open eye which stays in place and keeps my swivel to my main line in place.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I use the pencil style bouncers with a quick change clevis. Clevis, bead, and snap swivel on my main line. With slow death I’ve found that 2 swivels are necessary. Tie your rig with a barrel swivel on the end, not a loop not. Clip swivel on the end of the rig to the snap swivel.
    I agree with FBRM about 3 ways for spinners but for slow death the 3 way swivels don’t seem to cut it for me and they eventually will twist up.

CaptainMusky

Quick Change Clevis

I use the stick style with a quick change clevis. Pro tip, well not really, lol, but when putting the quick change clevis on your line, put a bead between it and your swivel. This keeps it from slamming into your knot over and over.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Ok dumb question here: if you have a half crawler on a SD hook do you have to wait to set the hook? I am basically a bass guy trying to get a few walters and have a hard time waiting to set the hook-Thanks

No you don’t.
    In fact,i have found if you wait too long to set the hook the fish will swallow the hook and hook mortality has been experienced.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Like bullcans said, no you don’t have to wait to set the hook. I usually have the rod in a holder and wait for the rod to start bouncing and do a slow sweep hook set and load up the rod.

jake47
    WI

Thanks for the info all.

That’s quite a load of information FBRM! Thanks! I didn’t buy expensive bouncers though. I bought some cheaper ball type ones to match the rigging advice from the angler that suggested the quick change clevis.

tim hurley

Thanks guys-walters we fish are in 7-12’We could do SD on a 3 way 2′ dropper at about 1 mph (can you tell I’m looking for a formula, know that fishing does not work that way but we do need a starting point) So should the wieght be ticking bottom?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.