What are they thinking???

• Bob Bowman
    MN

I know over they years I have stuck some very nice fish(by accident) while out muskie fishing. Here is a smallie that hit a 10″ jerkbait on the pond a few years back. I would like to see some photos and stories about the odd fish that others have got while out hucking big baits. What was going through this smallies mind when he hit a 10″ jerk…….My hooks

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Bob,

I had a smallie just like that one pound a hand sized bluegill I had out for flatties once. She looked awefully funny with that 10/0 sticking out of its nose.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Bob,

I had a smallie just like that one pound a hand sized bluegill I had out for flatties once. She looked awefully funny with that 10/0 sticking out of its nose.

…any photos

I wish I would have taken a photo with the jerkbait hanging out of its mouth

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Bobby crank the dpi up on your scans, those pics don’t look so good. Oh wait a minute, it was just the guy holding the fish….

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

How about a 10.5″ bluegil eating a Mann’s Baby 1- in Cove Bay. Maybe there is something in the water up there that makes these fish crazy!!!

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Here’s another crappy scan. 6+ Lb. Hogmouth Green Carp..caught on a muskie size chatterbait.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

…that fish also had a nice scar from a certain kind of fish I was chasing. Would love to hook into the one that tried to eat that bass for dinner.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Got a 22″ eye out of a cabbage bed while chucking a 9″ Suick.

Buddy has a 25″ eye out of a cabbage bed while working a big spinnerbait.

4lb largemouth on a 6″ Phantom.

Last year on the Croix for opener, I was running a 8″ Phantom in a “smallie” color. While twitching it back to the boat, I had 2 smallies about 12″ harrassing the bait!!!!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I wish I had taken a picture of that one. It had to be almost 6lbs.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Bobby crank the dpi up on your scans, those pics don’t look so good. Oh wait a minute, it was just the guy holding the fish….

…Those are old photo’s that were not taken on a digi….sure wish I knew someone that was in the imaging business

Bob Bowman
    MN

Here is the wife’s best to date, this fish ate a small bass bait……..Zara Spook over a very large rock reef. One of the best top water explosions I have seen. The look on my wife’s face

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Well I had an odd catch with an odd live bait. When I was a kid I was snagging carp with a weighted treble hook–decided to snag a water snake (dumb kid). As I reeled it in a largemouth about 18 inches long smacked it and I got them both–that was fun to get off the hook!

–Whitey

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I had a 19″ smallie smack a 12″ jointed believer while I was trolling at 6 mph! It was one of the better trolling strikes I have ever had! I thought a 50″+ just hit until I started reeling, then I thought crap this 50″ I running at me! Nope hahahaha!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Belive it or not. (I have a witness) We were fishing below the neschonic dam (Lacrosse river) I notice some people catching some nice panfish on worms, went to my car to get my ultra lite and rigged it up with a bobber, sincker and panfish hook, not sure about having to heavy of sinker on for that bobber I casted out and it floated fine. started realing in at a pretty good pace to bait up and, WHISH a fish hit the bobber, by reflex I set the hook and the pan fish hook snagged him in the lower jaw and i brought in a 28 inch northern 0n 4lb test and a panfish hook. I still don’t really belive it happened but it did.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

My green hawg wobbler(still one of my favorites) has produced a few hog smallies through the years.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Garvi!
    That reminds me of a 30″ pike I caught on a slip bobber. The fish grabbed the float and rolled on me about 4 times. Got her in with the cork in her mouth and the line all wrapped around her mouth so she couldn’t open up and spit it out. She never touched the bait.

I need to scan these pics. Like Bob said, they are all on film.

a few years back we were on LOTW in the Big Narrows walleye fishing deep reefs. While pulling spinners/bottom bouncers over 30 feet of rock, my buddy gets bit. He goes and sets the hook, which he said seemed like an “eater”. About 2 seconds after the hookset, the rod bends over and drag starts peeling. He had hooked a 14″ eye and a muskie was down there and grabbed it WHOLE. 15 minutes later and 3 attempts at hand-grabbing a very FAT 50″ muskie (not a smart move), the muskie spit out the walleye and swam away. The poor walleye was shreded of all scales and skin, but still alive! The fish was honestly that big, where it had all of the 14″ walleye in her mouth, with the mouth closed and the walleye hidden. We originally thought the muskie took the bait until she spit out the walleye!!!!

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Caught a 50″ Tiger while walleye fishing on Clear Lake in 95. I had a replica done with Artistic Anglers from Thorne Bros in Fridley.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Quote:

Caught a 50″ Tiger while walleye fishing on Clear Lake in 95. I had a replica done with Artistic Anglers from Thorne Bros in Fridley.

Clear Lake in Forest Lake??? That would be the biggest tiger I have ever heard of, aywhere, WOW!!!

I just looked up the world record tiger release, it was a tie between two guys at 53″, neither from MN, you were close.

Any pics?

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Two come to mind…I caught at 19″ largemouth on Weaver last summer on a Bulldawg…the other was 2 years ago and unfortunatly i took a really bad picture on my phone that is now no longer my phone, but anyhow I accedentally caught about a 5lb Seagull . I was texas-rigging for bass and came up to a dock with a seagull on it and pitched towards the dock. With the worm in mid air the bird took off and right into my line subsequently getting the line wrapped around his wing. I was able to reel the bird in and get the line untangled and release the bird, but that was the wierdest release I have ever had.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

one of the advantages of tossing big baits is that the “bonus” fish are up-sized as well!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nice glove. Is it Micheal Jackson or Winther? Sorry, couldn’t resist!!!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Quote:

Nice glove. Is it Michael Jackson or Winther?

lol…you’ve gotta understand, as a muskie-head i look at a big walleye and have no idea how to hold them without hurting myself or the fish!
    we got it in the net and i said to my partner, “how do we hold these things for a picture?” he shrugged and shook his head at me, so no help there.
    on goes the glove, problem solved!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Real muskie guys just lip the walleye without a glove, like a bass!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

fishing on Eagle in Canada one year some bass guys from down south came back to the lodge with reports that they’d discovered lipping pike like bass was a bad idea… too funny.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Can’t you just picture the look on the guys face the first time he pulls that. Pike stuck to a thumb screamin’ like a school girl.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.