What to use around opener????

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

In my experience small spinnerbaits can be very effective early in the year. We have used Musky Candy in black/nickle with good success. What is the first thing you tie on during opener?

micah-witham
    Richfield

I was going to say smaller bucktails, but then I thought plastics worked slower for those colder fish coming off winter, but then I have seen fish hit topwater baits right off the get go. So in true non-committal fashion, I would say it depends.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I guess in hindsight we have seen some good fish on Tiger Tubes early in the year as well. The salt and pepper bear a striking resemblance to crappies. Two years ago on Forest we were out off the bullrush point on third and schools of crappies were busting the surface about every 5 minutes over 14′, we went to tubes and casted to the commotion every time they busted. Ended up sticking a couple of 40 class fish in less than an hour. Couldn’t buy a bite after we lost track of the crappies. I think in the spring matching the forage is pretty important as well.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

This year for the St. Croix opener, I’m going to be speed trolling big cranks on catfish bar!!!!

Heck, it worked last year…….

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Gary, does everything open on the Croix at the same time?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Not sure?

I’ll dig into the regs.

danno34

6 inch Jake Blue back silver sides, SLOW

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

The lower St. Croix doesnt open for muskies until May 26th(Memorial weekend). Its just enough time to get that walleye fix out of the way….. ….is it time yet?

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I’ll be throwing 2 lb. Bulldawgs hundreds of yards at a time for 18 hours straight

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

..actually small cranks, small spinnerbaits, and giant sluggos.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

I think I will start the season off with a black and nickel bulger tail from Musky Buster tackle. Black twister tail, that permananet flared skirt with double blades, looks good enough to me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.