How is your Skeeter Rigged!!

• arklite881south

Gentleman there are few things more exciting than rigging your new Skeeter! Not only is it crucial to your fishing efficiency…….It is just plain FUN!!

Please chime in on how you’ve rigged your Skeeter boat old or new. Wants…….Needs……..Questions??

I’ll start with my “Sho Time” that will be delivered Late April. I’ve laced up the 300HP Yamaha SHO motor. Rails front and Back. Marine Radio…..”Mans Antenna”!! 9.9 Yamaha 4stroke Kicker. 1198C at dash Not 100% certain what I will put on the Bow yet?? Terrova 101 with Ipilot. Full windshield. I have elected NOT to wire the transom with electronics as I simply didn’t use them last year.

I also have placed a few more Non-slip patches on the boat where I find myself loading and unloading customers. I then put another set of cleats precisely at the widest location of the boat for anather bumper to avoid boat rash. Bimini top and a custom cover. I’m sure there is more…….Just early in the AM and I’ve got Crappies on my mind!!

Beyond that I have a couple custom options that we’re working on. Pretty excited………OK FREAKED OUT EXCITED!!

Lets here it boys!! What is the 1 thing you would NOT leave out for guys currently rigging!! For me IPILOT is a MUST HAVE.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I sure hope I didn’t forget anything.

-WX1850 with F150 main motor (Full Windshield)

-T9 Kicker with prop guard

-Terrova 101# with I-Pilot

-Minn Kota 4 bank charger

-Ranger Rails (44″) instead of the 60″ Skeeter Rails to make room for the downriggers

-Bert’s Tracks (6″) for downriggers

-Bow Rails

-Marine Radio with 8′ Antenna

-AM/FM CD Player (a must as per Nicole)

-Skeeter Travel Cover

-Bike Seat with hydraulic pedestal

-Keel Guard

-Main motor hour meter

-HB 997 or 998 at helm, maybe a 1198 (depends if I keep my current HBs)

-HB 917 or 858 in bow (depends if I keep my current HBs)

-6 Cannon Rod Holders

-Glassed in Transducer

I think that’s about it.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

** MY ** Skeeter? You must know something I don’t. Now if you want help rigging up a beat up old lund, I’m your man.

You aren’t excited for open water or anything, are you Chris?

Rootski

nd1850

On the 2011 WX1850 I just bought I sure hope i didnt’ forget to add anything in, but the list goes like this:

*WX1850 w/ F150 Main motor (full windshield)

*tandem axle trailer

*9.9 Kicker

*trollmaster pro3

*Terrova 80 w/ I-Pilot and US2

*4 bank charger

*Rails (deck and bow)

*HDS10 console

*HDS7 bow

*structure scan

*lowrance network

*hamby keel guard

*skeeter travel cover

I think that covers it but i do know I also need a bimini top for this summer. Anybody have a suggestion on where to order from and about how much they are running?

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Man, I’m jealous. You guys know how to trick out a boat. I’ve got a lowly 2010 wx1850 with:

80 Terrova / Ipilot

3 bank charger

858 HB (bow)

998 HB (console) –1198 next year, unless Gregg can sweet talk me into one this afternoon

Yamaha 9.9 kicker

TrollMaster 2

80# Vantage

Rails bow and stern

Full windshield

Yamaha Reliance SS prop

Custom snap cover

Tandem axle trailer

**considering transom electronics rigging next year, as well as adding a skimmer transducer “Y’d” into the thru-hull) – on hold for now)

Best feature-

Unbeatable SBC service

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

What about Smooth Move seats?
    I know the glass ride is nice, but you might as well upgrade to a caddy with leather if your going this far, right? They are truly a back saver even in a glass boat.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have a 2000T and after spending alot of time fishing out of it, there are a few modifications that I’ve made or plan to make.

My front livewell I’ve turned into a cooler. Most of the time ice will stay in there fine all day, but on hot days I’ve put in some insulation to help. On the bow I have a graph mounted on a ram mount. At first I was frustrated that it wasn’t mounted in the front electronics plate, but now I like the option of having it up higher in clear view while I’m driving. I have it networked to my back graph, so I can use it as more of a heads up display when I’m running and my passengers can easily see depth changes and fish while we are fishing. I have a tackle storage system to get all of the tackle I need on a given day in the back compartment right next to me. There is a rod holder installed easily within reach of the captain’s chair, so I can quickly throw the rod in there to net a fish and so I can constantly adjust depth while trolling.

I really like the way my boat is set up, but I’m always looking for ways to make things better. One thing I plan on doing is putting some kind of divider in the livewell. It will make culling fish in tournaments easier and help prevent the water from splashing around too much. I also need to make some modifications to the compartment locks. My next boat will have a terrova with iPilot up front even though I rarely use my current bowmount. I also plan to install a 12v plug in somewhere that is more accessible and a step on my trailer next to the front livewell, so I can fill and empty the cooler easier.

The list of everything I already like about the boat and wouldn’t change is just too long…

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Well like you Chris I am running the 2100 with the 300SHO and a T9.9 kicker tiller. As for extras:

Terrova w/ Ipilot and US2

HDS 8

HDS 7

LWX-1 Sirius Radio Antenna

Smooth Move Seats (Passenger & Driver)

4th full seat

On board Charger

Rear SS Rails, havent decided on front yet

Marine Band mounted on Ram Mount under dash w/ 8′ Galaxy

Extra 12v battery w/ switch

Custom Canvas Craft snap cover

Ram Mount rail mounted rod holders

Ram Mount on dash for Expedition GPS

4-7″ Alpine Marine Speakers and Amp (For the none serious days haha)

I will have both my HDS 7 & 8 on the dash with the thru-hull transducer and a HST-WSBL. I will be able to move my HDS 7 or 8 to the transom for when running the kicker w/ the another HST-WSBL transducer. Then in the bow will be another Ram Mount ball to move one of the units up for when using the Terrova. I think that about covers it all!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

WX2000T (new ’09)
    150hp Yamaha with Merten’s Power Steering

MinnKota Terrova iPilot 101
    Humminbird 1198 SI (stern)
    Humminbird 998 SI (bow)
    Ethernet
    4 bank onboard charger
    4x 31-series batteries
    6x Folbe rod holders (4x rail mount, 2x flush mount)

I wouldn’t leave the dock with the iPilot.
    I could live without Side Imaging…but it’s damn cool.
    I’m a muskie guy, so all in all I’d prefer less livewell space and more rod locker length. I may look into modifying one of them to that effect down the road.

I’m picking her up from SBC in 8 days!!!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Skeeter20 & Chris,
    Can you clarify one quick question I have?
    I am not aware that the SHO is avaialble in 300 HP nor in a 25″ shaft. I have asked the question being as I’d love to put the 250 SHO on my 620, but 20″ shaft isn’t going to work.
    Your Skeeters aren’t 20″, are they?
    Just really have my curiosity going right now.
    Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Skeeter20 & Chris,
    I am not aware that the SHO is avaialble in 300 HP nor in a 25″ shaft. I have asked the question being as I’d love to put the 250 SHO on my 620, but 20″ shaft isn’t going to work.
    Thanks

It is common for people to inaccurately refer to the walleye motors as “SHO” motors when in fact they’re “Off Shore” motors. SHO motors go on 20″ transom bass boat hulls. The Off Shore motors, which offer similar performance characteristics due to the share technology, are hung on 25″ transom walleye boat hulls.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

Skeeter20 & Chris,
    Thanks

Mike, yes they make the 225-300hp in the 25″ shaft. Came out late last summer. The 300 might not have been available but I know the 225 and 250 were. Here is the specs.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcatspecs/102/specs.aspx

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Skeeter20 & Chris,
    Thanks

Mike, yes they make the 225-300hp in the 25″ shaft. Came out late last summer. The 300 might not have been available but I know the 225 and 250 were. Here is the specs.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcatspecs/102/specs.aspx

The quickest way to tell the difference between a SHO and an OFF Shore is the motor hood color. Black = SHO. Classic Grey = Off Shore.

Personally I’d like to see the black hoods offered on the OFf Shore motors but only because they look cool.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

What about Smooth Move seats?
    I know the glass ride is nice, but you might as well upgrade to a caddy with leather if your going this far, right? They are truly a back saver even in a glass boat.

I forgot that. I found one for sale (never used) that I couldn’t pass up. I’ve got it ready to go, but need a short pedestal from Chad / Brett. I’m gonna make sure it doesn’t take up too much room behind me before popping for a second one to match. Excited to hit those first big waves with it.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Thanks James & Skeeter20.
    I was aware of the 4.2 liter off shore, but there’s quite a weight difference between the SHO 250 (505#) & the 250 Offshore (562).
    I know part of Yamaha’s claim to fame on this motor was the weight reduction. I just don’t see that in the 4.2 offshore and that’s where I’m confused… if that makes sense.
    Regardless, wonderful, spectcular motors… that’s for sure.
    Thanks
    Mike

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks James & Skeeter20.
    I was aware of the 4.2 liter off shore, but there’s quite a weight difference between the SHO 250 (505#) & the 250 Offshore (562).
    I know part of Yamaha’s claim to fame on this motor was the weight reduction. I just don’t see that in the 4.2 offshore and that’s where I’m confused… if that makes sense.
    Regardless, wonderful, spectcular motors… that’s for sure.
    Thanks
    Mike

I’ve run a number of the big Yamaha four stroker motors and the Off Shore motor on my 2100 blew my mind last year.

Verado – 300 HP = 648 Lbs

Suzuki DF300 = 604

Evinrude Etec E300DCX = 528 lbs

Only the Evinrud is lighter and then just barely. Add in the oil reservoir on the Etec… and they’re basically neck and neck on weight making the Off Shore one of the lightest motors available in its class.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

[quote
    Personally I’d like to see the black hoods offered on the OFf Shore motors but only because they look cool.

YES!!!! A skeeter with a Black motor, there is hope!!

Granny, I think you forgot the “wet bar” on the bow I would have nothing less than a 9 inch bird!!

And I wont ever own another boat with out one of these
    http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/419590/MK_3_DC_%283_bank%29, with the runtime you have 2 and from spots you would be a full charge all the time

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

On the 2011 WX1850 I just bought I sure hope i didnt’ forget to add anything in, but the list goes like this:…

*trollmaster pro3…

Derrick, let us know how you like the steering feature on the Trollmaster 3. Very curious….

brentbullets

2008 WX2100

F250/T-8 kicker

101 Terrova with I-pilot

HDS8 on RAM and LMS520 in dash on bow

HDS10 on console and LMS520 in dash

LSS1 and LGC4000

Marine Radio and real antenna

Trollmaster

Stainless rails all around

8 rod holders

Custom travel cover

4 seats, thinking of adding a couple of smooth moves

Full wind shield

My wife thinks I am nuts but she is with me every weekend to out fish me.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I run the 250 4 Stroke (2009)on my Ranger 620.
    I have 2 really good freinds in both the FLW & AIM, and they can’t beleive how well my boats gets out of the water and on plane. They are up against the best offered all summer long, and they told me, If I knew what was best for me, I wouldn’t change a thing.
    Ranger 620 full of fuel, way to much gear (if there is such a thing) and when water conditions allow it, I’m able to run 65 MPH GPS and as mentioned, I have zero drag getting up on plane.
    One extremely happy camper.
    Come on, soft water… please!!!

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

65 in a 620, that is cruising. Runs as fast as most Ranger bass boats…

Glad I am just a bass guy, geez you guys have a lot of stuff. Going to show these lists to my wife next time she gripes about an addition to the boat.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Mike I have a hard time believing you get 65 out of that boat. My buddy has the exact same boat/motor and it runs 53-54. My Zx2050 w/ 300hpdi ran 62-63mph. I know there are some fast 620’s in the AIM w/ 250 etec and custom proping, probably 61-63.

nd1850

Goose,
    I am curious as to how well it will work too but I wasn’t sure what steering unit to put on it so until I do that I won’t be able to use that function of it. My plan is to use the kicker to push and the terrova to steer, but I will put the hydro steering unit on it soon enough to see how well it works.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Only got it to go that fast (65 might be strecthing it a little, but she was 64+) when conditions were perfect.
    It does run 60 with ease.
    My buddies that fish the pro side couldn’t beleive it until they rode in it. All the said is you got a really good one.
    I know 1 of them, Todd Riley can get 65-67 out of his 620(I’ve been in it when it’s happened), but that is a decked out etec.
    What I’m more impressed with is how quick it planes. When at 60 or above, I am exceeding 6000 RPM and don’t care much for that.
    Not bragging, but she’s just a good one for sure.

brentbullets

And why are we discussing Ranger on the Skeeter forum?

igotone

Quote:

guess

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

HAHA! Mike I am sure you got a good running boat but I would like to video of that thing hitting 60mph. Not going with the wind & down stream either

I guess a good question would be does it have a jack plate? Every ranger w/ an etec 250 that does 60+ I have seen had a j.p.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

I rigged mine with a custom autowaxer Good worker ,but hard on fuel .

live2cast
    waukesha,wi

HUMMINGBIRD 858 GPS COMBO- 728 AT BOW- 80# TERROR WITH I-PILOT. RAM MNT. FOR TROL.MTR.60″ RAILS – FRONT LIVEWELL EXCHANGE-3 BANK CHARGER – GLASSED IN TRANSDUCER – FULL WINDSHIELD – CROME WHEEL PKG.- WITH ROAD ARMOR TRAILER. I WILL DO MORE AS TIME GOES ON. DEFIANTLY KEAL GUARD AND A CUSTOM COVER.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.