Skeeter Tiller Remote Steer

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

At the MTT they had two WX 2000Ts equipped with remote steering systems. One was rigged with a 115 hp and the other a 150 hp. At this point its a prototype, but lets just say the future looks promising. Dan Larson was running the boat with the 150 hp on tournament day and my Dad commented that it looked like a rocket flying by us on the way out. I wish I would have taken the time to take it for a test drive.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Fife I seen that boat on sunday….I would agree it looked a bit faster than normal. It was funny watching the take off while fishing in front of hunters. Tournament take off is wide open no matter what is in your way. Sounds like the future looks good for skeeter

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Tiller boats have come a long ways from just a few years ago.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Okay, so what is remote steering on a tiller boat? I take it this is not the same as power assisted steering?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I think he’s talking about the 2000T hull design with a prototype console and a steering wheel???

Imagine that 20′ hull with a 225 or 250. A 60+ MPH walleye boat perhaps??

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Okay, so what is remote steering on a tiller boat? I take it this is not the same as power assisted steering?

I’m wondering if its this type Mike:

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

Quote:

I’m wondering if its this type Mike:

Oh yeah I forgot about that kind of steering too. Would that be an aftermarket product or is this something we may see from Yamaha?

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I don’t know about you guys, but I think there is a very big safety issue with the big tiller motors. When you are in a console boat, you kind of sit down in (cockpit) the boat. Whereas in the tiller boats, you are sitting on a seat with nothing really around you to hold you in place if you should hit a wave wrong. I have a Ranger bassboat and a couple years ago I hit a wake, going about 45mph during a takeoff for a tournament and the front of my boat caught it and turned abruptly. I think if I would have been in a tiller boat, I definately would have been thrown over board.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So its going to be fast and dangerous?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

The Skeeter rep, I believe his name is Steve, said at the rules meeting that this is a prototype that Yamaha is testing.

As far as big tillers go, I’ve ridden in a 20′ Warrior going 52 mph and never once did I feel unsafe. Remember the smoothest ride in the boat is back by the motor. One of the advantages of a power steering system is if the driver’s hand does come off the motor, the motor will stay pointed in the same direction.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quite personally I am looking forward to the future of the Skeeter tillers

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

That is the new system and it will only be available through Yamaha/Skeeter. It will not be an aftermarket add on. The mad scientist, Mr. Mertens, is behind the entire design.

Skeeter is also coming out with a new 18′ wheel boat at a great price point of around $27,000.

Lots of good news and ideas coming from Skeeter.

deertracker

I believe this is their attempt to go around the 115 max on the 2000t. With it now being a remote steer, like a wheel is classified they can go big on tiller motors.
    DT

Vinci
    Minnesota

When do you think this will be available

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

It is a prototype design right now. I like the fact that they are getting it out there and working out the kinks before they release it. All I know is Steve said “Sorry guys but you won’t be able to order boats with the new steering this fall.”

I’m hoping FIRM still has one of these boats on hand, so I can check it out tomorrow.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Make sure and post if they are going to have this boat available for a test ride some where. Would be fun to check out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.