Best Prop for F225 on WX1990 Skeeter

• rbanks

Have a new Skeeter 1990, and would like to know the best prop, have a 19 now and was wondering if a 21 could possibly give me a little more speed & performance. Just want to know if anyone is red lining when wide open with the 19, or if it makes a difference with the 21. Any help would be appreciated.. I know nothing about props. Thankyou

nick
    Lakeville, MN

You are going have to post your current numbers, speed (GPS if you got it) and rpm’s and in general how’s the how the current prop is working out for you holeshot and turning performance.

rbanks

Thanks Nick,, top speed 49.5 GPS…RPM’s redline at 62-6300 @ 3/4 trim up. Motor is mounted at 3rd hole down. Hole shot is good, turning is real good. Cav plate edge, boat is new.

igotone

looks like with them numbers U r good now

21″ might you U a better Cruising speed 4 fuel economy

That big of boat is not meet 4 speed

I just ran it on this web site and it says a 21″

Prop Selector

here is another prop web site:

Prop Wizard

rbanks

Thankyou for the replys, sounds like I may need a 21, any input is welcome.

ted-merdan

When I ran the Yam 4-stokes, Yamaha’s 21 pitch pro series 3 blade (14.5″ diameter) was their best prop for the F225/F250. If you are not set on Yamaha props – Mercury’s 3 blade tempest is far superior to any prop that Yam has out. A 21 pitch tempest I think would be perfect as it will spin close to the same R’s as the 19 you are currently running but have a better hole shot and has adjustable ventilation plugs that help immensely w/ the holeshot.

Good Luck!

-ted

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thankyou for the replys, sounds like I may need a 21, any input is welcome.

I did a lot of prop testing on my WX 1950 and the prop I settled on was the 21M Yamaha prop. Hole shot was good and top end was in that 51 – 53 MPH range depending on load and conditions.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

When I ran the Yam 4-stokes, Yamaha’s 21 pitch pro series 3 blade (14.5″ diameter) was their best prop for the F225/F250. If you are not set on Yamaha props – Mercury’s 3 blade tempest is far superior to any prop that Yam has out. A 21 pitch tempest I think would be perfect as it will spin close to the same R’s as the 19 you are currently running but have a better hole shot and has adjustable ventilation plugs that help immensely w/ the holeshot.

Good Luck!

-ted

Ted is right about the Tempest prop although I do have one caveat about that prop that lead me to go with the 21M from Yamaha.

On my 1950 w/F225 the Tempest was a tiny little bit quicker out of the hole (we timed with a stop watch over multiple runs) and it did produce a touch more top end speed with the Tempest producing an additional .25 – .5 MPH over the 21M from Yamaha. The one drawback was that the Tempest had the capability to over-rev the motor fairly considerably (200 – 400 over max recommended) if you didn’t closely watch the RPMs when going wide out. For that reason I opted for the 21M since the performance advantages of the Tempest on this particular hull, while documentable, were rather slight.

I did try several 22 pitch props thinking that change would bring the RPMs down and result in more top end speed. The 22 pitch props were a complete bust for me as the hole shot was horrible and the F225 didn’t seem to be able to turn the bigger prop at the top end to produce the increase in speed desired. So back to the 21M I went. Overall it was a great fit on the WX1950 hull.

Best of luck with the hunt for the perfect prop.

ted-merdan

Diameter is also very important – as you get over 21 pitch the diameter is usually too large for the walleye hulls.

The best prop I ever ran on either a Yam 4-stroke or a E-TEC HO was the Mercury Enertia – spendy but turned like a 2-3″ smaller pitch prop. It’s made with a new stainless type alloy that allows for thinner blades, and more creativity with rake angles and cups.

James has some excellent advice above.

One other thing about the redline – recall it being at 6150 or there so because I was propping very closely as 4-stokes make most of their power at the top end of the RPM range (or maybe I should say the predecessors to the SHO as this one sounds different and I haven’t run one yet) – you may need to have two props, one for when your boat is light (bigger pitch) and one for when it’s heavy (smaller pitch). If you ever have a warranty issue they will pull the history and see how much time the engine has been run above the recommended RPM range and can use this against your claim

just another $.02

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

One other thing about the redline – recall it being at 6150 or there so because I was propping very closely as 4-stokes make most of their power at the top end of the RPM range (or maybe I should say the predecessors to the SHO as this one sounds different and I haven’t run one yet) – you may need to have two props, one for when your boat is light (bigger pitch) and one for when it’s heavy (smaller pitch). If you ever have a warranty issue they will pull the history and see how much time the engine has been run above the recommended RPM range and can use this against your claim

Ted,
    do the Yami’s have rev limiters? It does not seem as though my 2003 F115 has one. I had hours printed out for me and it say that I had a number of them over 6000 rpm’s.

FDR

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Hi FDR,
    There is a rev limiter on your motor that comes in around 6200 rpm’s. If you make it to the Ride and Drive in La Crosse and have the boat it tow, we can hook it up he computer and give you an idea where you are for hours currently.
    Thanks!
    Gregg

ted-merdan

all of my F250’s did – it wasn’t a horn rather a governor type deal that cuts your RPM’s by 2-300 immediately. Now I have an F150 on my pontoon but I have never turned over 6100 R’s so haven’t hit that yet. The limiter might be closer to 6200 or 6250 I don’t really remember.

As for hours – one year I had an engine print out done for a buyer and had over 50 hours above 6K out of 250 hours for the year so not a big deal but when a powerhead blew on a new owner of one of my rigs they (Yam) made a bit of a stink about the hours over 6K… And when you get the readout it’s in general buckets like 5500-6K and then over 6K so it’s not like the have that much detail…

I wouldn’t worry about it – just run it and enjoy!

-ted

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Hi FDR,
    There is a rev limiter on your motor that comes in around 6200 rpm’s. If you make it to the Ride and Drive in La Crosse and have the boat it tow, we can hook it up he computer and give you an idea where you are for hours currently.
    Thanks!
    Gregg

Hi Gregg,

THANKS for the offer. I might take you up on that if it is not too busy.

Look forward to meeting you.

FDR

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.