WX 1790T

• joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

I really like this boat and I think it would be a great fit for me but I’ve never owned a tiller and am looking for some opinions. I currently fish out of a 16’10” aluminum boat with a windshield and it’s great for staying dry but the ride is terrible and 2-3′ waves really start to limit my travel. I know I won’t be able to avoid all side spray in a tiller but in general is this a fairly dry boat? Also, how rough is the ride? I’m assuming it will be faily better than the pop can I’m used to. I’m really trying to get a feel for whether or not I’m going to regret going to a tiller after having a windshield. A lot of guys have them so I’m assuming it isn’t too misserable in sketchy weather. And just for reference I spend most my time on mille lacs and leech.

Thank you,

Joe

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

I have run tiller boats for years. I have found they run smoother in rough water due to the fact that your in the rear of the boat, which in turn doesnt slap like the bow does. The only time I get wet is if the wind takes the spray and blows it towards me. I live across the highway from Mile Lacs, so I spend most of my fishing time on her.I think a tiller would be a good choice, but make sure you get one that has enough power to keep you up on top in rough water. After owning 2 618T’s I now have been running 620T’s because Im better able to stay on top in rough water. If they would ever allow a 115hp on a 618T, I would for sure own another one.
    Walleyebry #993

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Joe

I think it safe to say a 1790 glass boat will have a smoother, softer ride than an aluminum in the same general size range. And that smooth ride is further accentuated by the driving position for the driver. The further back you are in a boat the less “pounding” you receive when running in big waves.

But it is that same driving position that can make running a tiller a wet experience when running sideways in the waves on windy days. The hull kicks up some spray and the wind will blow that spray back into the boat.

Much of that can be minimized through good boat handling and small course alterations that keep you heading in the general direction you want to go without running in such a way that every wave ends up in the driver’s lap.

There’s a reason so many anglers on mille lacs run fiberglass tillers. They offer a smooth ride, a wide open floor plan and they back troll very well which allows an angler to present livebait with control wheel boats have a tough time matching.

Not sure if you spotted this or not but a NEW 2010 1790T can be had for $19,990. That’s boat, motor and trailer and could easily be one of the better deals on a new boat right now.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

James pretty much summed it up to a T. Your ride will be much smoother than a tin boat. You will still get some spray while in rough weather but like james said it can be minimized by the course you take.

Not sure where your located at but if you are interested we could set up a test drive in one for you. You cant beat the price on a couple of these new ones that are out there right now. Let myself, james, or skeeter boat center know if your interested in a test drive!!!

joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

Thanks guys. I called the boat center today to ask some questions and ask about a test drive but didn’t get a hold of anyone but I’ll try back someday soon. I know the boat will fish well and be better than the pop can I’m currently in but I just want to make sure the 1790 is going to be enough if the wind picks up on mille lacs. I don’t need to out there in anything extreme I just want to be able to get around and feel safe on moderately windy days. Right now anything mid teens or more for wind speed and I don’t feel real safe out in my boat. Also I’ve never fished out of a tiller and so I think a test drive will really give me a good feel for what it will be like.

Joe

arklite881south

That 1790 is a great handling boat. I think you’ll thoroughly enjoy that boat over tin.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks guys. I called the boat center today to ask some questions and ask about a test drive but didn’t get a hold of anyone but I’ll try back someday soon. I know the boat will fish well and be better than the pop can I’m currently in but I just want to make sure the 1790 is going to be enough if the wind picks up on mille lacs. I don’t need to out there in anything extreme I just want to be able to get around and feel safe on moderately windy days. Right now anything mid teens or more for wind speed and I don’t feel real safe out in my boat. Also I’ve never fished out of a tiller and so I think a test drive will really give me a good feel for what it will be like.

Joe

Joe

Give this guy a shout over at Skeeter Boat Center >>> [email protected]

Gregg Kizewski is the manager over there and emailing him directly should get you in contact with the right guy from the get go.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Hi Joe,
    Give me a call, 715-514-8174, or Chad, 715-514-7250, and we will get a test drive set up for you. If you don’t get an answer, we are with a customer or on the phone so just leave a message and one of us will get back to you.
    We have 2 new demo 2009 WX1790T’s starting at $18,990 and 1 new 2010 for $19,990.
    Thanks guys!!
    Gregg Kizewski

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Joe

The 1790t will handle Mille Lacs.

Been running one for 6 years and I think its got a great ride for that size of boat.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Quote:

Quote:

Joe

The 1790t will handle Mille Lacs.

Been running one for 6 years and I think its got a great ride for that size of boat.

I agree, been running one for 5 years and can’t say enough
    about the ride for a boat of that size. I have fished out of the so called top of the line 18 glass tillers and would not say they ride any better. Used to run a 19 glass wheel boat so I know a little about the ride of a boat.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ok, I’m hoping to get back on the water here shortly, the 1850 has really caught my eye. It would be my first glass boat, so I’m looking for any input anyone has on this boat.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Well like everyone has mentioned the ride is a whole different animal when talking glass to tin. The tracking is much better in a glass boat also.

Is there any specific questions you had? I could go on and on about the boats on just about every subject. Feel free to give me a call if you would like to chat about the 1850.

715 829 2160

Kdawg1966

Just bought a 1850. Coming of a popular tin boat (one that I was very happy with, but was looking to add a couple features that the tin boat didn’t have). Wow, what a difference. It rides very nice, taking rough water VERY well. With stock prop it will do a touch over 49 with just me and 2 full gas tanks and all equipment. I was suprised that after two full days on the water, my trolling batteries were still half charged. In light of this, it must pull much easier than my tin boat did with the same setup. It isn’t a rocket with the hole-shot, but I had two guys who were over 200 and myself at 150lbs, and it was prob. close to 4 seconds on plane. With this load,(full livewell/baitwell) I could get 47.5 mph easy. Lot’s of room and storage. I really don’t think you will be disappointed at all with this rig.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Brian,

I have a 3 yr old 1880 that is essentially the same boat. If you’d like, we could hook up some evening on the water for a demo. Either Lake Marion or the Mississippi.
    Let me know.

Mike

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.