Hydrofoil question – WX1850

• Kdawg1966

Hi fellas, I’ve just joined the site but have done my fair share of lurking prior. I just bought a new WX 1850 (F150 yami) and was looking at some performance upgrades. I’ve already gotten some great prop info from another member here, but was perusing the site and found some information on the SE hydrofoil on a James Holst’s 1950 Skeeter. Does anyone know if it would be worth it to start with a foil prior to trying a new prop or are the 1950 and 1850 2 different animals in this regard? I’m very satisfied with my new rig, but I’m no different from most guys here – better is better. Thanks for any input.

igotone

First welcome aboard

James I’m sure will give his input later

He is currently fishing next couple of days at Devil’s lake and will be giving a report later today when he gets in and has time

I to am thinking about adding THE EDGE pro series

The one I’m looking at is out of stock and on backorder

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve not been involved with an installation and subsequent testing on an 1850 but I will say this… I’ve yet to hear from anyone that wasn’t happy with the install after it was in place, regardless of the boat it was installed on.

Will it be a magic bullet for you? If you’re looking for jaw-dropping results like huge speed increases you’ll likely be unhappy. But I’d bet you’ll see quicker time to plane, a more stable bow when you’re loaded down heavy, lower cruising speeds, better cornering and many of us have seen a slight improvement in top end speed (1 – 1.5 MPH). All for less than $70 and 15 minutes of install time.

If you don’t want to drill any holes you can always go the Sport Clip route. Note – Sport Clip image attached.

If it was me I’d add one and wouldn’t think twice about it. But that’s just me. The results I saw on my 1950 across multiple areas of performance were very satisfying and more than justified the expense and time invested.

Kdawg1966

Alright, you have me convinced. I’ll give one a try and also, rather than drill holes, I’ll be the big-spender and buy the clip as well. I just don’t think I can go wrong by experimenting with 100 bucks – I mean, in the boating world, that’s almost like trying something for free. Thanks for the input.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Alright, you have me convinced. I’ll give one a try and also, rather than drill holes, I’ll be the big-spender and buy the clip as well. I just don’t think I can go wrong by experimenting with 100 bucks – I mean, in the boating world, that’s almost like trying something for free. Thanks for the input.

Buy it from Cabelas and be careful with the packaging. If it is a total dud on your rig I don’t see any reason you couldn’t send it back for a refund.

Let us know how the sports clip works for you. I’ve never installed one using that method. I’ve heard good things about it… just never done it myself.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I installed one with the Sport Clip. You may need an extra hand to compress the clip together in order to thread the nuts on the bolts. As far as whether the clip works or not, I have no complaints. The reason I used the clip is because I couldn’t make myself drill holes in the motor.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I installed one with the Sport Clip. You may need an extra hand to compress the clip together in order to thread the nuts on the bolts. As far as whether the clip works or not, I have no complaints. The reason I used the clip is because I couldn’t make myself drill holes in the motor.

What boat / motor did you put it on? Did you see the expected performance improvements on your boat?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

1900 Sylvan Excursion with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. I would like to put a Yamaha 150 4 stroke on it, but they didn’t have them when I bought the boat.

The SE 300 does help get the boat on plane faster and helps keep it on plane at slower speeds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.