Humminbird in-hull transducer/Skeeter owners

• jkz

Hello fellow Skeeter owners

I have a 2005 TZX 190 and continue to experience problems with in-hull mounting. I cannot find the “sweet spot.” In the instruction it says “as close to the centerline,” but does this mean not directly on the centerline? If anyone has photos of there mounting location or could give me a detailed description of where they put the in-hull transducer. Also, does anyone have a transducer mounted on the transom of their boat? Up here in Canada I do not fish any areas with treetops or stumps like in the USA. Is this recommended for a better reading? Could the highspeed of these boats do damage to an externally mounted transducer.

Thanks JP

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

What type of issues are you experiencing? My guess is that there is air bubbles in the glue that are causing the issue.
    Yes you will want it as close as you can get it to the center line if not right on the center line. The biggest thing with these is to prep the bottom of the boat correctly and to get the transducer glued down flat and with NO air bubbles.
    There shouldnt be any reason why you couldnt mount and external transducer on there. Shouldnt hurt a thing, But I would highly recomend a mounting plate in case you have to adjust it some from the original mounting location.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Hi jkz – I will shoot a couple of pictures of standard thru hull installations for you on Monday and post them. Keep in mind when mounting, to have your 2 part epoxy free from air bubbles, as the transducer will not shoot through air gaps.

arklite881south

Quote:

Hi jkz – I will shoot a couple of pictures of standard thru hull installations for you on Monday and post them. Keep in mind when mounting, to have your 2 part epoxy free from air bubbles, as the transducer will not shoot through air gaps.

Aaah….Thats why I left my installation process to those boys at the SBC!!

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Thanks Chris!! jkz, attached is 2 pictures from a pretty standard in-hull install. They are not the best pictures in regards to quality, but hopefully you can see that the location of these transducers (1 Humminbird and 1 Lowrance) are at the closest flat surface to the centerline as possible. The key words here are “flat surface”. The centerline means nothing if the transducer will not sit flush to the floor. Feel free to call me at 715-833-2668 if you need further help.
    Thanks!!

jkz

Thanks very much for all the responses. As suggested by Humminbird, I have filled the bilge area with water and put a sand bag on the puck to prevent sliding around. My worst signals were directly on the centerline. I was able to get some readings just off the centerline; however, only when turning. Would anyone understand why this is happening. I wish I had a Skeeterboat center around!!!
    Thanks
    JEFF

jkz

Quote:

Thanks Chris!! jkz, attached is 2 pictures from a pretty standard in-hull install. They are not the best pictures in regards to quality, but hopefully you can see that the location of these transducers (1 Humminbird and 1 Lowrance) are at the closest flat surface to the centerline as possible. The key words here are “flat surface”. The centerline means nothing if the transducer will not sit flush to the floor. Feel free to call me at 715-833-2668 if you need further help.
    Thanks!!

Thanks for the photos. It seems that the Lowrance is mounted in front of the HB transducer. About how far (inches) from the back of the boat (inside the bilge area) are the transducers mounted?

The reason I am so concerned is that I don’t want to epoxy it in without having good test readings; however, I know that the epoxying will give a far stronger readings. I just do not want to have to go and buy another transducer because it was in a bad spot.

Thanks a million for the photos and all the assistance.

JEFF

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.