Skeeter 1790 Tiller…….VERY NICE!!

• arklite881south

We filmed a Sturgeon show yesterday in one of the 1790 Tillers from Skeeter, with a 75 Yamaha 4stroke. What a great boat for guys looking to get into a nice glass ride!! Lots of storage compartments, and nice floor plan. I think this boat would be perfect for all river fisherman or guys with 2-3 fisherman. With the Rainy River being so low we we’re a bit worried slipping it into the landings, but no problem!! Great boat!!

Oh by the way……The Sturgeon are coming in for a picture with it in big numbers!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I agree Chris. This boat is overlooked by many as a great option to the aluminum boats.Boat control and tracking are awesome when vert jigging,trolling or rig fishing.Not to mention the price point is a great value compared to the other options available.

deertracker

My friend is kind of looking at one. What type of speeds were you seeing from it?
    DT

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

This was my first boat I owned, loved it. Fished great, handle big water very well. The only down side is that only rated for a 80hp. Well Yamaha doesn’t make an 80 so a 75 goes on. This boat can handle a 90hp tiller. I don’t understand how some boats (warrior 1783) can handle a 90 and skeeter cannot? This 1790T would be a tiller mans dream with a 90, not only because of top end but better hole shot. With 2 guys tourney loaded that 75 struggled a bit. Fishes very well.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Okay…rated for an 80 but in your opinion could handle a 90. Stupid question time. Could I buy the boat and have someone put on a 90? I know the insurance implications but would the “boat police” give me a ticket? Would a dealership NOT put on a 90 at my request? Thanks! RR

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

For those same insurance reasons, a dealer would not be able to put a 90 on it. If you had a hoist or a couple strong buddies you could buy the rig with a 75 and immediately trade it for a 90 and put it on yourself.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

that just seems severely underpowered for a Glass 17ft boat. i run a 16.6ft aluminum boat, with a 70 2 stroke, and i want more power and speed a lot of times. i can’t imagine how that boat would struggle with a full load.

now, put a 115 tiller with steer-assist on it…game on!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

This boat really doesn’t struggle that much execpt out of the hole on a tournament load. To an average fisherman they wouldn’t notice the struggle… It rides great handles great in fact speeds of 31-33 gps is average for my dads same boat. Ideal perfect tiller boat for most, but step it up to a 90 then this boat is in a class all by itself.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

I have the same boat, when fishing alone I can see speeds of 36.4 going with a good wind. It is fine with two people with speeds of 32 to 34. I don’t think you can find a better ride in a 17 foot boat and I would go in any water any 18 foot boat would. Fished in all of them Ranger,Lund,Yarcaft.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Warrior could do it because they used a remote power steering.

This is how they got around the coast guard regulations.

The 1790t is propped wrong from the factory.

They would be better off putting a 15 pitch on it instead of the 16.

As for top speed, I get 35-36 with just me and 3 guys and gear 32-33. I run a 15 pitch Ballistic prop. Top RPM’s about 5600 – 5800.

Perfect boat for two guys.

arklite881south

I’m not sure if I would use it as a tournament boat, but as a great fishing boat for 99% of anglers I can’t see the 75hp Yamaha 4 stroke as a problem. We had great hole shots burning through heavy rapids with 3 guys, camera gear, and tackle. Oh…..2 anchors!!LOL!! My understanding is the boat retails for around the 20-22K price range. I’d say that would be extremely tough to match in a a Tin equivelent model. Contrary to popular opinions Glass boats are often NOT heavier than tin boats either. Often times to the contrary. For my $$ even though I’ve SPENT it on a boat fitting my personal needs as a fishing guide THAT is a GREAT VALUE. Now whether a guy would want to order up another 2-3mph out of it simply all depends on the angler. Personally I rarely run my boats at full throttle unless a Storm is chasing me across the lake. Even though my WX2100 can run 55mph loaded with my guide gear I run it around 40mph 99% of the time while commuting to the next big fish beatdown!!

At the very least I would definately check this boat out for that $$. Affordable option to get into the superior glass ride with more than sufficient storage for most anglers powered by Yamaha Reliability. I could definately see this being my new guide boat for the Rainy River!!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

I’m not sure if I would use it as a tournament boat, but as a great fishing boat for 99% of anglers I can’t see the 75hp Yamaha 4 stroke as a problem. We had great hole shots burning through heavy rapids with 3 guys, camera gear, and tackle. Oh…..2 anchors!!LOL!! My understanding is the boat retails for around the 20-22K price range. I’d say that would be extremely tough to match in a a Tin equivelent model. Contrary to popular opinions Glass boats are often NOT heavier than tin boats either. Often times to the contrary. For my $$ even though I’ve SPENT it on a boat fitting my personal needs as a fishing guide THAT is a GREAT VALUE. Now whether a guy would want to order up another 2-3mph out of it simply all depends on the angler. Personally I rarely run my boats at full throttle unless a Storm is chasing me across the lake. Even though my WX2100 can run 55mph loaded with my guide gear I run it around 40mph 99% of the time while commuting to the next big fish beatdown!!

At the very least I would definately check this boat out for that $$. Affordable option to get into the superior glass ride with more than sufficient storage for most anglers powered by Yamaha Reliability. I could definately see this being my new guide boat for the Rainy River!!

I’m almost positive you can grab this boat in a tiller for under 20K.

arklite881south

Well that is what James had mentioned to me as I admired the boat as a potential future river guide boat. I know I was pretty suprised at what that boat had to offer for that price range. I just wonder if many anglers that may be traditional tin guys like I was know they can get into something like this for less than a comparable aluminum boat with a 4stroke “Yami”. Tough to beat in my mind, and not the perfect boat for eveyone which is why boat dealerships have the multi faceted line ups. I’d venture to say a stellar boat for many guys out there. Heck for the Yamaha warranty alone……..

Great…….Now I’m thinking about another boat!!!!!!!! Hope the fishing Queen isn’t following this thread!!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have used this boat as a tournanment boat simply because of the way it fishes. Holding a point, inside turn, or weedline while rigging in wind is key and with a tiller boat your going to gain optimum boat control. This tiller boat has the control. I have owned both this boat as well as a Ranger 620 and if I am rigging in a tournament I would rather have a tiller to control the boat better. Every boat has its place and this 1790T is a great all around boat even more so at the price.

arklite881south

Quote:

I have used this boat as a tournanment boat simply because of the way it fishes. Holding a point, inside turn, or weedline while rigging in wind is key and with a tiller boat your going to gain optimum boat control. This tiller boat has the control. I have owned both this boat as well as a Ranger 620 and if I am rigging in a tournament I would rather have a tiller to control the boat better. Every boat has its place and this 1790T is a great all around boat even more so at the price.

Very good points Cal!! The pinpoint control you can achieve with a boat like this 1790 is a key for advanced anglers!! To achieve the spot on control while backtrolling on my WX2100 I’ve opted to run my 9.9 Yami Kicker with a tiller handle from my bike seat to back troll on top of key stuctures when the conditions call for it. The nice thing with that 75 Yami is that if I’m not mistaken you can dump the RPM’s (WAY COOL) and troll it down extremely nice to actually utilize a 75 very efficiently when fishing as you described!! Personally I wouldn’t want to do that without a 4 stroke motor all day.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m almost positive you can grab this boat in a tiller for under 20K.

Mosts dealers price them at $20 – 22K for boat, motor and trailer. Skeeter Boat Center has them right now at $19,990 which is an incredible price in my opinion.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

that just seems severely underpowered for a Glass 17ft boat. i run a 16.6ft aluminum boat, with a 70 2 stroke, and i want more power and speed a lot of times. i can’t imagine how that boat would struggle with a full load.

Three guys… yesterday… no struggle at all. None. And that was starting at the base of a rapids area and needing to get on plane “NOW” or flat out not make it. This boat isn’t a speed demon but hole shot was not an issue. For reference I’m 230, Mark’s 190 and Chris is 170.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Quote:

Three guys… yesterday… no struggle at all. None. And that was starting at the base of a rapids area and needing to get on plane “NOW” or flat out not make it. This boat isn’t a speed demon but hole shot was not an issue. For reference I’m 230, Mark’s 190 and Chris is 170.

Three skinny guys.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I had some hole shot issues because of dealer mounting the motor incorrectly…Once mounted correctly it worked great.

The new VTS ( variable trolling speed) on the Yamaha is a sweet feature. Using my dads boat last fall trolling cranks speed was key, like it is so many times. Without the VTS it would have been a tough night, instead it was a fantastic night of trolling up some nice fat walleyes…

Fall Trolling Report

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I miss my 32” waistline.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

I miss my 32” waistline.

My 32″ waistline left around the same time as my hair.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

I miss my 32” waistline.

Yep James me too! Man I miss Jr HIGH!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

The new VTS ( variable trolling speed) on the Yamaha is a sweet feature.

Is this the same feature that Yamaha had roughly five years ago, or did they improve it since then?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.