FISH HAWK X4 TRANSDUCER LOCATION?

• lodgetom

I’ve got a Fish Hawk X4 to install on my WX 1850. Not sure where I should mount the boat speed wheel/transducer. Should I put it flush with the bottom of the hull, or will it work on the upper step at the bottom of the transom? Thanks for your help.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Tom, I would suspevt that you want free flowimg water with no turbulance. I would believe
    Mounting it flush wtht the hull on the lower step would give the best reading. Keeping in mind that this will give the same reading as GPS. Not too mant top currents you need to be concerned with. And if so the diff between the probe and gps would show if you are running it shallow. Jason Haflen works at Skeeter boat center and probly will give the best info. Maybe PM him. I’d love to have the X4 I hope you love it. -mark. Ps coho in duluth are goin strong.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I bought a new X4 this year as well. Since there are many great recommendations for Skeeter boat center rigging, I had stopped by there one day to see if they could mount this for me, but we’re pretty far away from great lakes fishing, and I guess they don’t get requests to mount these downrigger S-n-T probes. Their Tech didn’t know what one was. I decided to tackle the project myself, and worked right from the manufacturers instructions. The installation came out great, and the unit works fantastic. I would think you’ll need the transducer down an 1/8 inch or so below the bottom of the boat to get the surface speed wheel working correctly, and to keep the trasnducer out of turbulent water. I mounted mine 4 inches outside of the diameter the prop travels in and an 1/8 inch below the bottom of the boat.

lodgetom

Thanks for the help, I’m going to mount it today.

jhalfen

Quote:

Jason Haflen works at Skeeter boat center and probly will give the best info

Sorry, but I’m no longer affiliated with Skeeter Boat Center. You’ll have to contact them directly for help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.