Need prop help (WX1950 with yamaha F225)

• SLOTLIMIT

Ran the boat last weekend. Hole shot was ok but could only get 48.5 mph/gps . The F225 has a VMax 23 pitch prop and Cobra HTS hydrafoil. Identical to the Edge.. I would think it should run in the low to mid 50’s. Two guys, 3/4 tank fuel and light gear. Any help would be appriciated.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

You should be able to get a better top end, if that is what you are looking for. I have been in that boat with 3 guys a very light gear doing a very easy 50 mph GPS. I can’t remember our exact top end though.

FDR

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Motor height? That’s all I got…. Maybe you motor is too low…. Curious where others have their mounted.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Where was this test performed? Lake? River? Upstream?

ses
    Mississippi River

What type of RPM’s were you getting?

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

That boat and motor should have more speed in it than that. I’m running a WX1950 w/ 200 HPDI and a 21p and routinely see over 50mph.

What are you RPM’s? That 23p sounds like a lot for that combo.

igotone

Quote:

That boat and motor should have more speed in it than that. I’m running a WX1950 w/ 200 HPDI and a 21p and routinely see over 50mph.

What are you RPM’s? That 23p sounds like a lot for that combo.

What is your RPM range for that motor?

A 23 inch will be faster then a 21

My understanding is you need to stay in the RPM range for the motor that you are using

More inches more speed but less RPM’s

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I tried every 21 and 23 pitch prop I could get my hands on on my 1950. I could not get a 23 from any company to work worth a darn. As you’re seeing, you’re stuck in the upper 40’s running a 23. My best prop on my 1950 was the 21M Yamaha 3 blade stainless. You’ll see your RPMs climb into the 6000 – 6200 range and you’ll see speeds in the low 50’s.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Boy those walleye boats are show!!!!!!!!! A 19.5 Ft bass boat with a 225 would run in the upper 60’s to low 70’s. I did not realize that walleye boats were that much slower. It must be the extra weight on the deeper hull designs. I just did not realize they were that much slower.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Boy those walleye boats are show!!!!!!!!! A 19.5 Ft bass boat with a 225 would run in the upper 60’s to low 70’s. I did not realize that walleye boats were that much slower. It must be the extra weight on the deeper hull designs. I just did not realize they were that much slower.

Yup, way different hulls. I’d definitely like more speed but that would come with a compromise. The WX series Skeeters have an unbelievable ride in rough conditions… try and run a bass boat with me in 4+ foot waves. I’ll look awful darn fast under those conditions.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Walleye boats do not take advantage of the lift as they are a lot heavier, most of them do not run up on the pad which is necessary to get speeds over 60mph due to friction of water with the hull.

RPM’s are key to understand when working on this. If your wide open motor trimmed out RPM’s are under under 5,900 you are overpropped. Raising the motor height mounted on the transom may help, but likely will cause blowout (over revving) on take offs.

igotone

yamaha manuals shows 5000- 6000 RPM’s

I guess if it was me I would be more concerned with my cruising speed

That boat is heavy and not designed for speed.

Like James says bring on the waves and see were the speed boats are.

I have seen most of them on trailers up at Lake Oahe

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Nic,
    Your comment about raising the motor height got me thinking about my boat/motor.

What is the proper height for a motor? I guess a more pertinent question is, how far below the bottom of the boat should the prop be located? I’m just wondering if I could adjust my motor height to gain some top end speed.

JD

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Quote:

I tried every 21 and 23 pitch prop I could get my hands on on my 1950. I could not get a 23 from any company to work worth a darn. As you’re seeing, you’re stuck in the upper 40’s running a 23. My best prop on my 1950 was the 21M Yamaha 3 blade stainless. You’ll see your RPMs climb into the 6000 – 6200 range and you’ll see speeds in the low 50’s.

James that is the same prop we run on ours 52 to 54 mph depends load and conditions would like to try a 21 tempest

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Nic,

Your comment about raising the motor height got me thinking about my boat/motor.

What is the proper height for a motor? I guess a more pertinent question is, how far below the bottom of the boat should the prop be located? I’m just wondering if I could adjust my motor height to gain some top end speed.

JD

It all depends on the boat and motor, and the overall performance, Blowout, hole shot, handling and or purposing. Generally speaking as high as you can go before you lose performance is one way or another. (if you are going higher with a jackplate, you should have a water pressure gauge too, more of a Bass boat thing.)

My comment was more along the line of if your boat has the same prop and everything maybe you are overlooking motor height, easy enough to do, though one would how it was setup as optimal as possible when rigged, one never knows. It’s an easy enough thing to check and compare between boats. On a walleye rig, you’ll probably notice it a lot less, as there isn’t near as much hull lift, compared to a bass style hull, where you can feel the boat lift up and sit on the pad as you scoot across the top of the water, at the point you have a little drag from the hull, and lower unit of your motor, is probably the most considerable part of drag, so motor height plays a big role with going fast.

Wealth of info on motor height and setup for bass boats on Bass Boat central,in other words if you have a bass boat, you’d be far better served checking out bass boat central, they can help you. Walleye boat setup is certainly more limited from my experience surfing the web, no doubt IDO is one of the best places to get advice if not thee best atleast as far as Skeeter goes at the moment.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Get her out this weekend and report back on your max RPM’s, that is the critical part of what we are missing to help you out.

What holes is your outboard motor mounted on the transom?

SLOTLIMIT

I tried the Rev 4 21 pitch prop today and picked up 3mph-51.6 mph and full rpm’s- two guys in the boat. Hole shot was good. Called a couple of buddies up and put 4 in the boat with 1/2 full livewell and full baitwell and ran 50.1 mph. Is it alright to run the Yamie @ 6200 rpm

nick
    Lakeville, MN

6200 is a little high(in my humble opinion), the engine reportedly makes max hp at 6000, I’d at this point if you’re pretty darn happy with the prop, it might be worth your while to talk to a Prop guy, and see if he can tune and or blueprint it a little better for you, both in performance and rpm. A little more bite may drop your rpm’s 200 or so, and give you a little more top end.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

6200 is a bit high, I would target 6000 as Nick said. Bring it to a prop shop and have them bring it up one pitch, any good shop should be able to go one pitch up or down. Looks like you are on the right path.

This is the guy I use, he turns them around within the week. Top Notch.

Mark Croxton

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

I just got my prop back from Mark. Great guy and extremely fast service. Can’t wait to spend some time on the water with to do a little testing.

SLOTLIMIT

Thanks Nic, i’am going to try a Yamaha 3 blade 21 pitch tomorrow like the one James is running but if it dosen’t perform better than the Rev 4 21 pitch, i will send it to Mark and go with the 22 pitch. Thanks again

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’d say do be afraid to call and talk to him too, that way you can assure you get what you want.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Thanks Nic, i’am going to try a Yamaha 3 blade 21 pitch tomorrow like the one James is running but if it dosen’t perform better than the Rev 4 21 pitch, i will send it to Mark and go with the 22 pitch. Thanks again

If I remember correctly, you will be able to over rev with the Yami 3 blade 21p as well. This is just from a little wheel time in James’ last boat.

Good Luck,

FDR

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

If you don’t get the results you’re looking for with the Yamaha prop call Mark. With 2 props as a reference point he can give you some ideas of what to expect and what he could possibly do. Plus, the call is FREE!

Enjoy the new boat!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.