Livewell/Baitwell closure valves?

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

My closure valves on my Skeeter have never closed tight enough to keep water from coming back into the wells (at least a little bit). Is this normal for most, or is it just my rig?
    I’ve fished a lot in winter/freezing conditions with it and have never had an issue because I always drain things well each time out; nevertheless, it sure would be nice if they closed “tight” enough to not allow water into the system(s).
    Splitshot

big_g
    Isle, MN

Mine used to do this also…. I replaced mine with the red/white plastic valves, I got at Menards. The one’s that were in my Sylvan, were really hard plastic and I believe they wore out, from use and possibly even cracked. Didn’t really look at them, just chucked them.

big G

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Just to clarify, I’m talking about the tank hose drain line (in-line) valves that are controlled by the two dials up by the drivers seat (“open” and “closed” valves that operate by cable). ….Not the ones inside the tanks that can be used to shut off or regulate pump flow into the tank.

Splitshot

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

This is fairly common.With all the nutrients that build up on internal components along with dirt & sand that gets in the system.I back flush my system with a hose then run bilge cleaner through it.It will hold for a few outings depending what kind of water you get into & start the same leaking process over.For winter months I just plug all holes on inside & outside of boat which can take on water.Having 12 plugs in boat year round for those just in case purposes have saved a couple other people with missing plugs from not being able to fish for the day.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Thanks White Tip. I’ve had the rig for a few years (as Crossin Eyes says, “A Skeeter owner before it was cool.”), so I have learned to live with this issue. I have actually gone to the point of “plugging” holes with all kinds of nice fitting plugs and corks myself when winter fishing – to keep water completely out – just as you said. Personally, one would think the boat manufacturer would redesign this and install a better closure system just for freeze-up protection/conditions. But then again, you can’t have everything…..
    Splitshot

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

This isnt just a Skeeter issue.The livewell controls arent manufactured by Skeeter,I beleive the valves are Flo-Rite.Many boat manufacturers run that same style system.My current boat brand is Ranger & has basically the same components.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

So be it. Most anything would be better than what they’ve been putting in. …There has to be something better out there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.