Performance Tweaks for my Skeeter WX1950

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Huge thanks go out to Greg Rudisill and Skeeter Boat Center in Eau Claire for their product knowledge!

As many know I have a WX 1950 Skeeter with a 225 Yamaha 4 Stroke. Everything has come together nicely and I’m enjoying fishing from this boat more and more every time on the water. It handles great, the ride is phenomenal… and most importantly it fishes well.

Here’s the link to the thread with more info on my boat for those interested >>> WX1950 Skeeter

So now I’m trying to get the most out of this boat. I still have a little prop tweaking to figure out as the 21 pitch 3 blade stainless Yamaha prop I’m running right now provides a good hole shot but I’m able to over-rev if I’m not careful.

I’ve been communicating with Greg Rudisill, Skeeter Pro Staff member, and Dave Markquart at Skeeter Boat Center looking for suggestions on the direction to take with the prop. My gut tells me this boat should see 55 MPH without too much work. Right now it is a 52 – 53 MPH boat but I have to hold back on the throttle at high speeds so I know there’s more speed to be had.

The suggestion that kept coming back to me was to install a SE Sport hydrofoil before trying any more props. Greg was adamant about the performance improvement I would see. I believe his exact words were “if you like your boat now, you’ll love it once you put the ‘foil on there.”

And he could not have been more right!

The one thing I want to put out there is that prior to installing the SE Sport the hole shot was good. I actually thought it was quite good. During prop testing we checked the ‘time to plane” times and they typically came in around 3 – 3.2 seconds which I would think is quite acceptable in anyone’s book.

After the install of the SE Sport my Time to Plane is around 2 seconds. The bow no longer lifts when you hit the throttle. Instead the boat just moves forward and quickly gains speed while the driver rolls on the trim and throttle. Within 2 seconds you’re up and running heading for WOT.

Now the downside of ‘foils is that they will often cost you top end speed. Not on this hull! At light loads I’m seeing a full 1 – 1.5 MPH increase in speeds. As you increase the load (I tested with 4 guys and a full livewell) the speed advantage falls off to 0.5 – 1.0 MPH but the hole shot advantage remains. Honestly I can’t see a downside to adding the SE Sport on this hull. I can’t say what it would do on all hulls but on this one with the big 4 stroker… it is a HUGE plus.

Total cost for the SE Sport? $60 at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0000919

I installed mine using the bolt through method. If you don’t want to drill any holes there’s a “Sport Plate” that accommodates the installation without doing any drilling. Pretty slick if you ask me.

So… for those 1950 and 2100 owners out there… you need to consider one of these ‘foils.

What this will do for me with regards to the prop tuning is to potentially allow me to go back and try a 22′ or 23′ pitch prop to see if the now improved hole shot will allow me to run the bigger prop. Prior to the foil I absolutely could NOT run the higher pitched prop. The bigger prop should allow me to get a better top end while bringing those RPMs back where they need to be at around 6,000.

More to come on the prop tuning as I get time to make more adjustments. I’m going to hit double nickels with 2 guys, a full livewell and a tournament load or go down trying.

New boats are FUN!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Glad your are getting that thing dialed in James. It’s always a good feeling knowing your equipment is running to the best of it’s ability.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I used to work at Cabelas in the Marine department….we had difficult time keeping these in stock. Cheap fix to sometimes a major problem… here!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nothing but a $60 performance boost on this hull! I just wish prop tweaks were that cheap.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

James,

If you are going to have prop work done, look up Mark Croxton in Shelbyville, Indiana. Just got my blueprinted 25T1 back for my ZX225. Thought my boat drove awesome before, but it is unreal now. Picked up 2.5mph fully loaded, and now can keep on plane comfortably under 20mph which is impressive for any bass boat. He is the man for props, hands down.

Add: Forgot to put, cost was $200 to have the work done shipping was a bit extra as I needed it done within the week. Shipped prop on Tuesday next day from Madison, WI to Shelbyville, IN. Prop was back on my doorstep on Friday morning same week. Saweeeet.

Nic

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,
    If you are going to have prop work done, look up Mark Croxton in Shelbyville, Indiana. Just got my blueprinted 25T1 back for my ZX225. Thought my boat drove awesome before, but it is unreal now. Picked up 2.5mph fully loaded, and now can keep on plane comfortably under 20mph which is impressive for any bass boat. He is the man for props, hands down.

Add: Forgot to put, cost was $200 to have the work done shipping was a bit extra as I needed it done within the week. Shipped prop on Tuesday next day from Madison, WI to Shelbyville, IN. Prop was back on my doorstep on Friday morning same week. Saweeeet.

Nic

How is his work on walleye boats? And is he willing to take the time to talk with a guy to discuss how the boat is currently performing and what it will take to make the needed improvements?

This will be my next step so any info you might have for me regarding your experiences will be greatly appreciated!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nic

I just tried to google Mark and found LOTS of positive threads from various message boards… but no website or contact info. Do you have a web addy or phone number for him?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Neat design on the sport model – no holes to drill. That is slick!

-J.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Bass Boat Central has tons of information on props by Mark. Every once in a while we get a strange creature Walleye guy looking to pep up his rig. Here is the BBC Prop Forum Page, try doing some searches –
    BBC Prop Forum

Here is the link to his contact numbers and price page –
    Croxton Price and Contact Information

I would just call him directly, he is good people.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Bass Boat Central has tons of information on props by Mark. Every once in a while we get a strange creature Walleye guy looking to pep up his rig. Here is the BBC Prop Forum Page, try doing some searches –
    BBC Prop Forum

Here is the link to his contact numbers and price page –
    Croxton Price and Contact Information

I would just call him directly, he is good people.

Thank you, sir!

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Make sure to let us know if you make contact. Would be interesting to hear what he has to say for your situation.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Make sure to let us know if you make contact. Would be interesting to hear what he has to say for your situation.

I absolutely will do so.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

James I run a 619 Ranger with a 225 Yami stroker and I had the exact same problem. I got in touch with a prop man in Brainerd,Mn. He suggested to me to go with a 21″ 4 blade. Instead of my Yamaha 3 blade. My dealer had a Rev 4 that I tried and it elimimated my problem. If you would like the number up there at Brainerd let me know. Glad you like your boat. I love mine – Glenn

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

Similar problem with my ZX2050 with 250 HPDI. It also came with a 8″ Jack plate. I questioned why the previous owner had it all the way down. I found out soon after mounting my T-8 and 101 Engine mount and putting extra people in the back.
    ( too much bow rise on take off and a bit of bow-hop )
    I lifted the motor 3″ and switched the prop from the Yamaha M23 3 blade and got a REV4 21 pitch. AWESOME !!! Time to plane is much faster top end actually increased 1-2 mph (58-60) and planning is down near 20 mph. Boat dock maneuvering is MUCH better too. We are over on Lake Michigan and it can get pretty rough at times. I can now hold my bow up high when my passengers can’t handle the high speed runs. So far real 6′ waves have not been a problem.
    p.s I have an extra 6″ Manual Jack plate if anyone needs one.

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

Guys, I did also try a REV 4 21p on my Skeeter ZX2050 and that prop had a awesome holeshot and did climb waves better than a 3 blader. I tried the Saltwater series 2 15dia x 21P prop and found my holeshot to be a very close match to the rev 4 and also gained 2.4 mph on the top end and had a 50rpm diff than the rev 4 so thats what I settled on and am spinning now.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Another vote for the SE Sport 300!

After reading this thread over, and over, and over….. I finally decided to make the $60 investment and drill a few holes. So far, I’m really glad I did.
    I am running a WX1880 Skeeter with full windshield. Powered by a Yammy 200 HPDI, this boat was already everything I had hoped for in the performance department. Where it lacked was that if I backed off the throttle at all at full trim, I would porpoise like crazy. Also, I had a hard time remaining on plane at speeds much under 28 mph. I attribute this to the fact that I also have a T-8 kicker hanging on the back along with a battery, oil tank, and rear livewell.
    As James had eluded to in his post, his time to plane was acceptable as was mine. With the SE Sport I’m now experiencing very little bow rise and even faster time to plane.
    The big test was in the porpoising and slow speed plane departments. The results were super! I can now stay on plane at around 20 mph, which is really only important when I’m pulling young kids on a tube. But I can also back waaaay off the throttle at full trim with very little if any porpoising. That will pay big dividends at the gas pump for sure!
    Like James, I actually experienced a small top end gain with the foil which really shocked me. I’m looking forward to getting the boat out in some roungh water again, as maintaining a plane at slower speeds, and being able to really work the throttle going up and down waves should really be nice.
    That’s to all for the convincing post!

Mike

KirtH
    Lakeville

Do you gety any odd rooster tails or spray from it?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

No Kirt, not at all. It’s a little wider spray than I had before, but not any higher. Mayber 4 or 5 ft high at the most at full trim.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Woops! You answered my question in your first post, a little higher top-end as well

Sounds like a nice improvement!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Gave Mark Croxton a Head’s Up!

I didn’t tell him that you were a tv star, ran your own website, and also fished a bit….. Good Luck!

Nic

I talked to Mark today about prop tweaks… MAN what a knowledgeable guy! He actually recommended I try one more OEM prop before we do any custom work just to get a better feel from the proper direction.

Thanks again for sending me his way.

KirtH
    Lakeville

James , I have used Mark he tweaked the Merc REV 4 21 that I sent him, with great results, I recently picked up another prop, Tempest Plus that will be going his way. The Rev 4 will push me at 58, after he gets done with Tempest should put me over 60

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Let me know how Mark does. I’d like to see that beast of a boat do 60.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Are talkin the Tuffy? Before I added to junk, 62 mph gps upstream in front Everts on a nice fall day, the guy in the Baja that was trying to impress his girlfriend and pass me was

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Talking James’ big ole skeeter. My ZX will run 75 empty, with all my gear just at 70.

No need to go any faster, and I rarely run that fast.

What tuffy you running? They are great boats, fished out of a couple and actually looked at them prior to purchasing my skeeter.

KirtH
    Lakeville

1890 osprey with a 200 opti

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

saw pics on tuffy forum. great boat.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.