Pics of my WX 1950 Skeeter w/ 225 Yamaha

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s an old saying that goes… the two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you take delivery of your new boat… followed by the day you sell it. Well, maybe that’s true if you’ve bought the wrong boat but with nearly two months of fishing time on my 1950 I don’t just like this new Skeeter… I LOVE it!

19′ 10″ in length. 101″ wide. 225 HP Yamaha doing the pushing. All nestled on top of a custom color matched tandem axel trailer. Colors are White Armor gel coat on the hull, Nassau Blue main stripe and a Pewter running surface. Carpet on the interior is Blue Grey and the upholstery color is Pacific Blue. Yamaha Grey and or Red accents are used on the hull and on the trailer to tie everything together. In my opinion this is one SHARP boat!

Sitting next to the 225 Yamaha 4 Stroke you’ll find a Yamaha T8 kicker anchored to the transom on the port side. The T8 has been rigged to allow for tiller steering at the back of the boat or, should you choose, you can tie the kicker to the big motor with a linkage bar and steer from the console. A Trollmaster Pro speed control unit was installed to ensure that the driver would have directional AND speed control at the console. If you’ve never used one of these Trollmaster units let me tell you… they’re sweet! A speed wheel allows the driver to make small adjustments to the trolling speed of the T8 kicker from anywhere in the boat.

When I was rigging this boat I couldn’t settle on Lowrance or Humminbird… so I did a combination of the two. I have a HDS-8 and a 112C networked pulling sonar signal off a glassed in transducer with one Lowrance unit at the console and the other Lowrance unit placed so I can easily see the screen while running the kicker. Or if someone is fishing at the back of the boat they can monitor depth changes from the back of the boat and I don’t ever have to answer the never ending “how deep is it… how deep is it now?” question. These Lowrance units can be easily interchanged to suit my preferences… or whims.

Lowrance 112C at the Console

Lowrance HDS-8 at the Kicker

I also didn’t feel I could get by without a Humminbird with side scan capabilities. I have a 798 dash mounted to the right of the steering wheel. (The Trollmaster is located to the right of the 798 in this photo). To ensure the best performance the side scan transducer is transom mounted and the high speed transducer is glassed in the bottom of the hull. As many of you are aware as boat speed increases beyond the usable speed range of the side scan transducer the Humminbird automatically switches to the down look transducer while running on plane. Talk about a SWEET setup!

So far my impressions of the Skeeter 1950 are very, very favorable with regards to quality of build and attention to detail. The carpet, upholstery, lids, latches and doors are all rock solid. Little things like the quality of the control switches stand out. In this next photo you’ll see the master control panel for all the lights, pumps and accessories throughout the boat. This is my first boat with push-button switches. It did take a few minutes to figure out what each button did but after a little “push it and see” testing I can say I really like the solid feel of the button, the bright LEDs that indicate power on/off for each item and the reassuring audible “click” you hear when a selection is made. I think the best feature of this type of control panel is it is nearly impossible to accidentally bump a pump on or off unlike the black plastic rocker switches or toggle switches found on most boats. I’ve lost more than a few fish in the live wells on other boats when either I had bumped a switch off… or a guide client had done so inadvertently.

One of the features that I didn’t know that I would like but now find to be a huge plus for the way I like to fish is the addition of the two jump seats at the back deck. The stability of the back deck is not compromised in any way for those that like to stand and cast and having the ability to leave the two rear pedestals back at home opens up extra floor space at the back of the boat. When you need a third or fourth seat for extra passengers they’re there for you. When you don’t need them they’re folded down and the rear of the boat is not cluttered up by additional pedestal seats that are really only needed when the boat is on plane.

At the bow of the boat I have a 101# thrust Minnkota Terrova 36 volt electric responsible for fine tuning the boat positioning. The foot control on the Terrova’s is a MAJOR improvement in functionality and durability over the older power drive foot pedals and the power of this 36 volt electric is really quite impressive. My electronics at the bow is a Lowrance 520c which has been dash mounted. This unit is networked pulling the GPS signal from the installed backbone while the sonar signal is coming from the Universal Sonar feature in the Minnkota. The view in this next photo is pretty much what I see when I’m out there on the water… minus the bumper of my truck of course.

Storage in the 1950 is abundant to say the least. The two storage compartments at the bow are HUGE. Actually that needs to be bolded to do it justice. They’re HUGE! I have 2 B&B Crankbait Boxes, over a dozen plano boxes, 3 BIG tubs of plastics, a tackle bag, two sets of rain gear, 2 extra life vests (the other two are on the seats), a throwable cushion… all in the port side locker at the bow. The other locker holds the boat cover, anchor(s), medical kit… and there’s still room to spare in each locker.

Center rod storage is a god send in my opinion… particularly if the rod locker does NOT have those rod tubes that limit storage capacity and often do not accommodate the oversized guides on high end rods. Nothing more frustrating than to have a center rod storage “system” that doesn’t fit your St. Croix or G Loomis spinning rods.

When I took this photo I had at least 8 spinning rods (and one slip bobber ) in the locker with the majority of those rods in rod socks. Tangles are basically eliminated, the rods travel safely and I could easily store an additional 8 or more rods in this area making it a great use of space by the Skeeter engineers.

So far the best prop on this boat has been the stock Yamaha 21 pitch 3 blade stainless steel prop. Hole shot is very good. Midrange acceleration is good. Top speeds have been in the 51 – 54 MPH range depending on if I’m going upstream or downstream and the weight of the load. With this prop I’m able to over-rev so I’m VERY careful with the RPMs. Based on the “what’s left” feel in the throttle position I’m thinking this prop could easily spin to 6200+ RPMs.

Higher pitch props have been tested. A 22 pitch tempest 3 blade produce similar speed to the 21 pitch yamaha 3 blade but the hole shot suffered noticeably.

A 23 pitch tempest 3 blade was too much wheel for my 1950 with a poor hole shot and noticeable drop in top speeds noted.

At this time the thinking is the 21 pitch Yamaha 3 blade is the right prop for this rig and some consideration is being given to spending some money on some customer tweaks to this prop. Perhaps to additional cupping would bring those RPMs under control and produce a few more MPH without sacrificing too much on the hole shot? If I go this route and have some prop work done I’ll be sure to let everyone know the results.

Where this boat really shines is on the water. Sure it looks good on the trailer. But how does it handle wind, current and waves?

The answer to these questions is at the heart of why I’ve grown so fond of this boat. It tracks incredibly well in the wind making my job of boat control when running the electric at the bow far easier than I’ve ever experienced in any boat I’ve ever owned. Point the bow where you want it to go… apply some power… and you go. The nose doesn’t get blown around and the nose doesn’t “search” from side to side forcing constant corrections when under power.

And the ride…! Man, the ride is incredible. Skeeter put that deep hull under this boat for a reason and that reason was to punish waves. I can honestly say I’ve never, ever been in a better big water boat. I was just out fishing with Dustin Stewart on pool 3 on a day when we had a 30+ MPH upstream wind which was stacking up the waves. As the 1950 glided across the tops he turned to me and said “I’d be breaking my back right now in my boat. It is unbelievable how well these boats ride!”

I couldn’t agree more!

So there’s my 60 day report on my 1950. Unlike that old saying about boat ownership I still LOVE this boat and I just don’t see that changing any time soon. About the only thing I need to change is the way it smells. It still has that new boat smell and that has got to GO! A few more trips should solve that problem nicely.

If anyone has any questions about a 1950 don’t hesitate to give me a shout. I’ll do my best to answer them. Or if you’d like to get in my boat and take a ride just give me a holler. We’ll meet at Everts and put her through the paces.

jhalfen

I’m looking forward to seeing hot it fishes on Wednesday.

I’m bringing extra coffee, just in case

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Bout time you get those pics up. I remember standing alongside your boat in the Skeeter Boat Center shop a few months ago admiring it. Glad to see it is out and pounding the water. Love that nassau blue.

Sweet, sweet ride, even though it is a Walleye boat…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s one of my favorite photos so far. Foggy morning. Just after sunup. I ducked down to put something away so my mug didn’t clutter up the pic.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m looking forward to seeing hot it fishes on Wednesday.

I’m bringing extra coffee, just in case

Pray for wind!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Bout time you get those pics up. I remember standing alongside your boat in the Skeeter Boat Center shop a few months ago admiring it. Glad to see it is out and pounding the water. Love that nassau blue.

Sweet, sweet ride, even though it is a Walleye boat…

Yeah, it did take a me little longer than I had hoped. But holding off a little meant I had time to get a feel for the boat. Everyone likes their boat on Day 1. I really like this one!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That is the boat of boats right there! Very VERY nice!!!

KirtH
    Lakeville

Very nice looking boat and lotsa goodies to I see

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats Buddy and man……. yes definitley a sweet ride and set up! That is one very sharp walleye slaying machine!

The fins of those Piggy Eyes in Mille Lacs are quivering just even thinking about those September and October Full Moons.

When we going?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Congrats Buddy and man……. yes definitley a sweet ride and set up! That is one very sharp walleye slaying machine!

The fins of those Piggy Eyes in Mille Lacs are quivering just even thinking about those September and October Full Moons.

When we going?

It is an early October full moon this year…. Full Moon for October, 2009 falls on October 4.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

OK, as a Reata owner, I have to ask…do ya ever drag your spare tire? It ‘looks’ like it rides pretty low.

That is a certainly a beauty!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Very nice looking boat and lotsa goodies to I see

Skeeter Boat Center was awesome to work with at every step of the purchase process but I most appreciate all the time and energy they invested into getting everything set up exactly the way I wanted it. I know most shops would have given me a “say what?” when I asked for Lowrance and Humminbird networks to be installed but they never batted an eyelash at it. In fact they took it as a challenge more than anything. Sean their head mechanic is phenomenal to work with as well. I came in on a friday and worked with him and the owner of Skeeter Boat Center, Dave Markquart, to get everything lined up for rigging. We ran late… neither of these guys acted like they wanted to be anywhere else but right there making sure the customer was 100% satisfied. You just don’t find that type of commitment to the customer very often any more.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

OK, as a Reata owner, I have to ask…do ya ever drag your spare tire? It ‘looks’ like it rides pretty low.

Actually, no. Not yet and believe me I was worried about it. And I’ve put in on the steep downstream ramp at Everts where you would think I’d bottom out if it was going to happen. So far… not even a scuff.

wkw

James, I know how to get that “new boat ” smell out of her.
    H-E-E-E-R-E BK !!!! A little “cat slime” will do the trick. But then you’ll have the flies to deal with. Never mind. Keep the new boat smell.
    Nice ride!
    WKW

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

James, That is one sweet looking ride! I love the color scheme and the way it’s rigged, truly a walleye fisherman’s dream boat right there. When you had it over at the ride-n-drive on Wissota a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to walk in it first hand and take a close look, talk about roomy. What impressed me the most about that Skeeter (and any for that matter) was how solid everything felt. I was worried the jump seats would feel flimsy and unstable to stand on, but that definitely was not the case. Maybe one of these day’s I’ll run into you down at Everts and I can take it for a spin

Congrats again on an awesome boat, you truly have guys like me drooling on the computer screen I know for a fact that next spring come boat shopping time for me, I’ll really be checking out a one of those Skeeters!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, no. Not yet and believe me I was worried about it. And I’ve put in on the steep downstream ramp at Everts where you would think I’d bottom out if it was going to happen. So far… not even a scuff.

Good to hear. Hopefully you don’t ever have to hear that horrible sound. Again, what a beauty!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nice boat James, I’m very jealous. I don’t normally like blue, but this is sure sharp. Now, if it just had the old man full windshield, I’d say she is perfect.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Nice boat James, I’m very jealous. I don’t normally like blue, but this is sure sharp. Now, if it just had the old man full windshield, I’d say she is perfect.

Actually I do. My boat came with both and I can swap in the full windshield at any time as both the double bubbles and the full windshield use the same bolt / screw patterns where they attach to the consoles. So the next owner gets to pick the setup that’s right for them. How’s that for cool?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Hmmm…..that boat is pretty sweet James. Looks like its missing something though…….oh yeah, I didnt see a Uncle Jacks Worm Slicer in there anywhere

Thats a great boat, I need one in my driveway. Congrats James

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I have to chime in and mention that I really like having the jump seats as well.It sure opens up the working area when it comes to multiple anglers in the boat.

Big and rough water you ask ? Outstanding !
    Trolling into rough water? No water over the bow either!
    I have had some pretty wet nites trolling on the pond and it wasnt raining either.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gorgeous boat, James! Congrats to you, buddy!

One thing, after a few previous boat rides with you, I think those jump seats ought to include a seat belt too!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If things get that bad you might just want to lay down on the floor, wrap your arms around a seat base and pray my friend. I’m pretty sure a seat belt wouldn’t save you… lol

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Or if you’d like to get in my boat and take a ride just give me a holler. We’ll meet at Everts and put her through the paces.

Better be careful what you say James there is a enough people on this site… We’ll just say that you could wear her out.

She sure is sweet

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Or if you’d like to get in my boat and take a ride just give me a holler. We’ll meet at Everts and put her through the paces.

Better be careful what you say James there is a enough people on this site… We’ll just say that you could wear her out.

She sure is sweet

Anyone, anywhere… any time my friend. Anyone that wants to take this boat for a spin let me know and we’ll make it happen. It would be my pleasure. Plus I have full factory transferable warranties on the motors through 2015 so let’s SEE if we can wear it out.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great recap James and I echo your thoughts and agree with your Skeeter review! I’ve already had mine out in some pretty rough stuff on Mille Lacs and I’m extremely happy how it performed. The jump seats in the back are awesome and everyone that has sat back there has told me that they ride very well when motoring across some big waves. I also like the cooler being right in front of the rod lockers versus up on the bow.

I see your missing one thing though…. a sirius radio!

camodm
    Wisconsin

James. Thanks for the nice post on the WX1950. We here at the Skeeter Boat Center enjoyed working with you and all the other IDO customers we have had in the past 2 years. We look forward to giving great service for years to come. Thanks again. Dan

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I see your missing one thing though…. a sirius radio!

Actually, it is in there. But I have to be honest with you… I bet I haven’t had the radio or CD player on for more than 10 minutes total in the last 10 years of boat ownership. It just isn’t something I even think about using. But its there if I want it. But I won’t… lol

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James. Thanks for the nice post on the WX1950. We here at the Skeeter Boat Center enjoyed working with you and all the other IDO customers we have had in the past 2 years. We look forward to giving great service for years to come. Thanks again. Dan

Right back at you, Dan. It has been a pleasure to say the least.

jhalfen

Quote:

I bet I haven’t had the radio or CD player on for more than 10 minutes total in the last 10 years of boat ownership. It just isn’t something I even think about using. But its there if I want it. But I won’t… lol

Radio Margaritaville….channel 31. I’ll show you how to use it tomorrow, between fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I bet I haven’t had the radio or CD player on for more than 10 minutes total in the last 10 years of boat ownership. It just isn’t something I even think about using. But its there if I want it. But I won’t… lol

Radio Margaritaville….channel 31. I’ll show you how to use it tomorrow, between fish.

I know it is a Sirius capable radio but I don’t have it activated with a paid subscription. I do know the radio powers up. That’s my new boat owner’s routine…. open the lid that covers the radio, press the power button. If lights come on the radio works. Turn power off. Close cover. And that’s likely the last time I ever mess with it. There’s something about radio / music in a boat that I find “distracting.”

But you’re going to be too busy running boards to be messing with a radio!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.