M-Y Wedge?

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

are these things the real deal?
    is it accurate that Skeeter/Yamaha is shipping new boats with these rather than a traditional transom saver bar?

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

jerry b
    western WI

IMHO-I prefer to have the weight pushing down on the trailer. They look to me like there’s a “twist force” put on the transom. But then what do I know? jerr

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Absolutely… I was a disbeliever until I talked to FLW guys that use them for going all over the USA. I have run one on my 1750 Crestliner on many trips from 100 to over 500 miles for the past 5 years w/o a problem, even with the 115 and 8.8 motors on the transom.
    My rubber knob cracked last fall and they sent a new one to me ASAP…great product, great service!

Skeeter wouldn’t think of that if it wasn’t safe…

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

are these things the real deal?
    is it accurate that Skeeter/Yamaha is shipping new boats with these rather than a traditional transom saver bar?

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

As far as I know Skeeter ships with the Y-M Wedge. That’s all I’ve ran on my Skeeter and the previous boat. I’ve been extremely satisfied so far.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Wade, or others using the M-Y Wedge, are you using the centering clips as well?? I’m toying around with getting one, but would like to keep motor centered as well. The bungee strap / steering wheel trick isn’t cutting it. Thanks in advance.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Wade, or others using the M-Y Wedge, are you using the centering clips as well?? I’m toying around with getting one, but would like to keep motor centered as well. The bungee strap / steering wheel trick isn’t cutting it. Thanks in advance.

Yes I am using the centering clips. I made the mistake of not using them when I first started using the Y-M Wedge. They aren’t a must but they are recommended.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Yes you are correct that Skeeters with Yamaha’s are coming from the factory with the My-wedge style transom saver and also with centerining clips.

The biggest thing in my opinion of what the transom saver does is 2 things. It keeps the weight off of the hydralic ram for the tilt and trim and it also keeps the motor from bouncing therefore creating stress on the transom.

Both the my-wedge and full transom saver will do that BUT the full one that goes to the trailer also causes a little added jolt on the transom every time you hit a bump in the road and the trailer hops.

You would be fine with either one by all means, but the my-wedge system is easier to deal with and stores much easier in my opinion.

With all that said, there are few things that puts more torque on a transom than the motor when you go to take off!!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Who markets the centering clips? I am doing the bungee cord on my Yamaha currently…the clips sound better

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

If you open the link in the first post, there is a link to RavelingOutdoors, that is where I got mine and the centering clips.

Shane is the guy that runs it, very nice guy!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

The ones we get come straight from yamaha and the extra ones that we have ordered, we have also ordered from yamaha. Im sure there is another place out there, but I just havent looked for one at this point.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Found out about the wedge from this site, bought one about a year ago. I love it no problems and a lot easier

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Got the M-Y wedge and centering clips a month ago for my new 1875 ProV. Last boat used the transom saver it chewed up the paint on my cavitation plate after rubber crapped out. I also had an another companies centering clips – worked well. The M-Y wedge is a lot easier to store when taking the boat off the trailer.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I have to say I’m somewhat surprised at all the positive here. I’ve considered the wedge in the past, and even called the company direct to ask questions. Maybe they’ve got someone new in charge, but the guy I talked to that day couldn’t have sold a heater in MN in January. Terrible. Didn’t even try to sway me, or give me any ideas of why the wedge is better than a traditional saver. I’ve kept it in the back of my mind since then and still like to see what guys are saying about them though.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I have to say I’m somewhat surprised at all the positive here. I’ve considered the wedge in the past, and even called the company direct to ask questions. Maybe they’ve got someone new in charge, but the guy I talked to that day couldn’t have sold a heater in MN in January. Terrible. Didn’t even try to sway me, or give me any ideas of why the wedge is better than a traditional saver. I’ve kept it in the back of my mind since then and still like to see what guys are saying about them though.

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of hardcore transom saver guys on Walleye Central and this topic has come up many times. This is the most positive input I’ve seen on them as well.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nothing but positives on the wedge here as well. I would never go back to the old style.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I love M-Y Wedge!!

Late season fishing- once u get to where your staying, remove wedge and leave the motor down, you will never have a problem with freeze up. Get up in the morning and pop the wedge back in and your good to go.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I seen the wedge soon after they came out and was not convinced that they would work good enough. I would be willing to try one now that I know Yamaha trusts them.

As far as the centering wedge goes, I’ve made my own on the last two boats I’ve owned. I make them out of PVC pipe. It’s cheap and I usually make up several extras just in case my fall in the lake while I’m taking it off .
    I cut just enough off the side of the PVC pipe that it snaps on my steering piston so it doesn’t fall off. Works great for me and my motor doesn’t flop over going down the road.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I bought My Wedge from the Raveling boys at the Omaha boat show tonight. Can’t wait to try it out.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Ben…could you let me know when you try it out how much clearance it leaves with the Merten’s steering in the splash well when you raise the motor?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.