Side Imaging Clarity Questions

• mnfisherman18

Hey Guys,

I bought a new Helix 10 G3N MEGA SI unit this year and installed it myself. The unit seems to be performing well, 2d and down imaging are crisp and I get readings at speed (which definitely took multiple transducer adjustments). The transducer is leveled to read at speed and may sit slightly tail-end high when idling around. It is wired to a dedicated blue seas fuze panel that has 10G wire back to the battery. For additional background, I fish mostly deep clear lakes in northern MN. It has been doing this since I tested it on opener.

Anyway, I am having issues with a “fuzzy” water column. I see the dark black water and crisp orange bottom on all these youtube channels and I definitely do not have that on my unit. I am attaching a picture of what I see (sorry its a bad picture with tons of glare, but you can see what I am talking about) along with transducer placement. Has anyone dealt with this issue? I can spot structure and fish okay, but I feel like i should be getting a crisper/cleaner return. I have tried what feels like almost every single combination of settings/contrast/sensitivity but the water column is still blurry orange on the MEGA frequency.

I have read explanations about algae in the water, transducer leveling, and voltage issues but just not sure where to go from here. Any tips would be appreciated!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1895.png

2. IMG_1894.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Turn down your sensitivity and you should see that clutter disappear.

If not, turn off your MEGA and see if it disappears.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Wouldn’t hurt to see if you have the latest software?

Ripjiggen

I would agree sensitivity is to high.

mnfisherman18

Thanks guys. I tried tinkering with the sensitivity and it didn’t seem to help until it was so low I couldn’t see anything on the bottom. Will try again next time I hit the water and report back.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

With the newest updated there is now a water column sensitivity function. It does help some. Make sure to try playing with that first!

Water Column Sensitivity – Side and Down Imaging

⭐New Feature⭐ Water Column Sensitivity allows you to customize how much detail is shown in the water column.Available on HELIX and SOLIX with the most current software update. Update today ➡️ http://www.humminbird.com/support/software-updates

Posted by Humminbird on Monday, May 18, 2020

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks guys. I tried tinkering with the sensitivity and it didn’t seem to help until it was so low I couldn’t see anything on the bottom. Will try again next time I hit the water and report back.

That would tell you that there isn’t anything wrong and your humminbird is showing you what it sees…. little stuff in the water.

I run very low sensitivity unless I’m on mud bottom. Then I’ll bump it up some.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.