Side by Side UTV\'s….

• sktrwx2200

In the market for a 4 person UTV (side by side) What are your guys thoughts? Have a sportsmen 850 and have drove a RZR and RANGER and Im not a fan of Polaris UTVs…and have ruled them out of the running.

Anyone have any input on the good bad ugly of the other brands?
    Honda Pioneer anyone have any input on?

Thanks

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I have a can am commander I use it mostly ice fishing hunting and plowing. Great machine has started twice this year in -25 degrees on Mille Lacs! Never has let me down suspension is amazing as well. If you have any other questions let me know this is my second SXS as well.

David Blais

I know you said no polaris. But the general looks pretty sweet. Cross between a ranger and rzr

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Would be interested to hear what owners say about the Yamaha Rhino. Anyone on here own one?

I sat in one at a dealer this year and really liked the fit, finish, and suspension. The attention to detail convinced me these will be worth a hard look when I’m in the market next.

No firsthand experience, would be interested to hear from owners out there.

Grouse

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

I know you said not a fan of Polaris UTV’s? Just curious why? I have a Polaris Ranger 900 and no complaints!

Chad

404 ERROR
    MN

I have extensive miles on Can-Am, Polaris, John Deere, and Yamaha UTV’s. Most comfortable would be Can-Am or Polaris. Most heavy duty would me John Deere (but if/when it breaks, be prepared). Yamaha is a good mix of comfort and reliability. I will not be purchasing another Polaris machine in my lifetime, too many problems with the ones I’ve owned and too many known issues to deal with. They look and feel like awesome machines but the reliability is spotty at best.

If you are looking for a UTV that can be used on the trails and for work, I would hands down check out the Can-Am commander. Rotax motors are proven and the whole machine is awesome. I owned a Can-Am Maverick briefly to get the wife into the trail riding sport and we both loved it, she just wanted handlebars instead. BRP machines were known for years as the rich mans machine, but that is no longer the case. Price out an equally equipped Polaris or Yamaha and you will see. Also check out how well BRP machines hold their value…

I have no experience in the 4-seater Yamaha Vikings but the older 2-seater Rhinos are awesome machines. One UTV brand that isn’t as well known is the Kawasaki’s. The Mule and Teryx have proven themselves from all the reviews I have seen, I just have not been in one.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Just found the model but my Dad has had the Pioneer for couple years now. Work horse. He did his own landscaping around the new house for couple summers and he’s not light on his toys. Big boulders etc.

We’ve ice fished out of it plenty and the storage is sweet. That back bucket carries almost everything you’d want to. Seats 3 adults up front with a lil snuggling involved.

Thing rides like a freakin mule though. Very rough when the ice is uneven. Doors are a lil weird getting in out of. No biggie though. Turns really hard, shouldn’t expect any kids to drive it.

Sips the gas, sips, very nice.

Lately been having trouble kicking into 4wd. He’s worried it burnt up a lil hauling those rocks around, but believe he said it was still under warranty so gonna check it out. Need any more info let me know.

sktrwx2200

I just have a 850 sportsmen with power steering that I like good enough. We have a 850 RZR and have spend alot of time in a Ranger as well during the hunting season..

In my opinion the polaris UTVs are loud and the transmission is jumpy, tough to shift at times. They are tough to get the wheels rolling without a big jolt. Even my polaris sportsmen is alot more clunky than say my Honda Rincon. But the top end of the sportsmen is straight power and speed most likely best as it gets.

I spent 8 hours in the deserts of Las Vegas inside a Artic Cat side by side. It was a rental unit, and I gave it everything I had!. I was very impressed by the suspension and smooth ride compared to the Polaris UTVs I have been in.

Looking at artic cat, yamaha, or honda.. for a more “family friendly” ride.

John Timm

I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a Yamaha product. Reliable and built tough. I have a good friend that has a Viking and his previous machine was a Rhino. Likes them both and the reason he got the Viking was because it was bigger in seat size and storage. Yamaha’s belt system is probably the best belt system out there. Can Am’s belt system is that of the snowmobile type as is popo’s and Arctic Cat. I wouldn’t ever consider a polaris in my lifetime as I owned one and know several that have and they just aren’t reliable. Not sure about the Honda, but i’m sure it’s plenty reliable after all it’s a Honda!

Sam
    St.Francis

Cub cadet volunteer or challenger

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I have a can am commander I use it mostly ice fishing hunting and plowing. Great machine has started twice this year in -25 degrees on Mille Lacs! Never has let me down suspension is amazing as well. If you have any other questions let me know this is my second SXS as well.

X2
    Love my Commander bought it mainly for ice fishing, hunting, and tried trail riding and love it!! I have had my to -22 and always starts in the cold. It was the first performance/utility machine. Great suspension and great fuel economy. I intend on keeping it for many years.
    Bob

jarrod holbrook

I am in a boring Kawasaki Mule trans 4 seater. I don’t try to win the mud bogs, I don’t scale cliffs, I don’t try rock crawling. It has bench seats and tops out at 25mph. It is very well built, caries guys and gear, works hard for me the other 10 months around the property. It didn’t break the bank to buy it either. The machines that “break” are usually ridden hard and not maintained. Decide what you will be doing 98% of the time with the machine and then make your decision. I’d be lost without mine and the labor it saves.

Tonka
    Minnesota

DirtTrax has a lot of other videos on SxS’s on YouTube so take a look around it might help. One thing is, these guys don’t do a good job of reviewing people who’ve owned these and the thoughts over time, but they can talk about the features and things like that. CanAm is my vote, my bro has a MXZ 500 snowmobile and the thing has been bullet proof.

herbert carter
    head waters of Owl creek, Missouri

Kawasaki mule fxt is on my with list. Neighbor had an older mule and I was talking to him about the New fxt and the next week he showed up with one. Nice machine!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I was looking last spring and the only one I would have gotten is the Honda. I work my equipment hard and like the fact that it is not belt driven like the rest of the market. the 1000 has the dct trans which is pretty impressive. the 700 has a slush box trans the same as most cars on the road today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.