SI tips for crappies

• tim hurley

Anyone search crappies with SI? Tips? Is their a depth where it does not work well? Thanks

eyeguy507
    SE MN

its hard enough to see walleyes which look like a grain of rice on SI. I like to drive over schools and drop waypoints on the bigger marks or schools just using DI, then come back and bomb em with jigging raps. lakes that i fish will have whitebass and gills that mix in the same schools.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Si works great for finding schools of crappie pre spawn and in the fall. Very easy to see the schools. Lay a waypoint and swing back over the top of them.

tim hurley

Thanks-how far do you stretch in feet right and left?
    Think I just need to get back in the habit of using it.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Look for the shadows on the bottom. Crappie will cast a round/oval shadow on si.

10klakes

How far you are scanning depends on your screen size. bigger the screen the further you can scan, otherwise the image is too compressed and cant see anything.
    Finding crappies, or any fish on SI is similar to locating structure, tweak settings as needed depending on the lake characteristics.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Some depends on the screen size and water depth you are using as I use Helix 12 I usually never go past 100 feet.Since I do not care about a pretty picture I set my scroll speed faster so this will elongate any fish returns and make them easier to see. If I run across something interesting I will drop a waypoint cut my distance to 60 feet or less depending on depth of water. Swing around and slow down my scroll speed to get a better look at what I seen. If I want an even better picture I will just use one side of my SI full screen and run beside my marked waypoint.
    A small screen and SI kind of sucks to be able to pic out fish it helps to use just one side as full screen if your unit will do this..

bigcrappie
    Blaine

You have to turn the contrast up to get the fish to show up real good. There is a good video online about this, locating fish with SI.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The reason I say pre spawn and fall is the crappies school in deeper water and are easy to find with SI. I am not looking for a few fish i’m looking for a cloud of them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.