Shower Tile help

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I had a shelf come loose in my shower. It is a ceramic shelf, about the same as the tiles that was glued to the cement board. What is the best glue to use to glue it back in place? Is thinset the best way to go or is there something better that I can get in a tube and caulk it back on with? Thanks

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

JB Weld

I cant imagine this not working considering some of the things I have used it on over the years. Just tape it in place to dry. I used silicone on a soap dish but that was over tile and had a broader surface without the torque of a shelf.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

a pic would help

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Pics attached.

Attachments:
    1. 20220629_142442-scaled.jpg

2. 20220629_142511-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m not familiar with JB Weld so I cannot comment on that.
    We do quite a bit of CT. I would thin set it back into place and let in set up. Then silicone the perimeter. Make sure you clean all surfaces that will require silicone and do not use the pre-mixed thin set.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Michael,
    Whatever glue you use, it’s a shelf, not a stool. I think you will need to add legs under it if you want to sit on it. -)

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We do quite a bit of CT. I would thin set it back into place and let in set up. Then silicone the perimeter. Make sure you clean all surfaces that will require silicone and do not use the pre-mixed thin set.

JB weld is a miracle glue.

Changing oil in a push mower once, the cast metal snapped off leaving me with the plug and part of the frame
    I cleaned that up good slopped on the JB weld let it dry and ran that lawnmower for 10 more years without it leaking oil waytogo

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Michael,
    Whatever glue you use, it’s a shelf, not a stool. I think you will need to add legs under it if you want to sit on it. -)

Kirk are you saying the shelf won’t hold me now with my extra covid weight???? I think I just need to find a better glue.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

EP, I don’t like that answer, I was hoping for something quick and easy ( Is there a thinset that is better than another? This is starting to to sound like more of a project than I was hoping for….I am still working on my concrete patio project…..and the supercharger for the mustang will be here in a couple weeks….I wish summer lasted longer, I’ll have to come up with a plan while I’m out trolling on lake Superior next week. Thanks for the input.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Our service techs used it with shelves that would fall within the 1st year of the labor warranty. Never had call backs after. Those were the Corian type that are thinner, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Thinner also = less surface that is adhered.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Our service techs used it

People have mentioned thin set, JB Weld and silicone. What is “it”?

Reef W

I used some version of liquid nails to glue our soap holder back up years ago and it’s fine. Glue it up and slap some tape over it while it dries. No matter what you attach it with you need to seal it with silicone caulk so water doesn’t get behind it. It’s like 10 minutes of work.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I used some version of liquid nails to glue our soap holder back up years ago and it’s fine. Glue it up and slap some tape over it while it dries. No matter what you attach it with you need to seal it with silicone caulk so water doesn’t get behind it. It’s like 10 minutes of work.

I was actually thinking of something like my landscape block adhesive but this probably isn’t porous enough. I was also thinking liquid nails/construction adhesive. JB weld also seems to be an option. Overall it seems like it is not as critical as I am thinking it is.

When they were installed they grouted around the shelves but I normally see silicone, I think I will also go the silicone route this time….and while I am at it I may as well just do all 4 shelves….so it is more involved than it initially appears.

Thanks for all the input, a lot of good info here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.