Shoveling ain’t easy today

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am so happy I bought a new snow blower this year. That 420cc Briggs and Stratton shot that wet sloppy crap yesterday with ease. My old snow blower would have had that stuff dripping out the shoot. Had about 4 inches on the driveway when I left this morning at 6am. Only bad thing about having a big snow blower is it is too big for the wife to use. Going to have to go back home at 9 to get my wife out after the plow comes through. Good thing I am only 4 miles away.

CaptainMusky

Yeah I have to show my wife how to use my new one too. Its pretty easy, but a little instruction is needed.

MX1825

Remember to help a neighbor on a day like today. There are Many older folks who need a hand.

You’re a Good Samaritan BC.
    waytogo applause

Beast

here in NW Wisconsin around the Balsam Lake area we had 6-7″ Wednesday and looks like another 6″ or so this morning.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You’re a Good Samaritan BC.

Thank you sir. The kid and I did 4 driveways last night. It was not very fun, that stuff was heavy. But I can’t watch my older neighbors struggle so I just go do it for them

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The Tesloro (Toro) electric did well on this wet heavy stuff yesterday and today, not sure it could have handled it all at once tho.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Just finished up with my 3rd round on the driveway since yesterday morning with the Ariens. Best estimate is that we are up to 18-20 here outside Cloquet with more coming down. Power has popped off and on at least 3 times.

I’ve got at least 5 medium popple trees snapped off behind the house and our road is covered with trees over it. Was able to barely get the Mrs out this morning at 6:30 (hospital worker) and she said there were 3 semis in the ditch between here and the top of the Hill in Duluth. And it was raining in downtown Duluth, she even saw lightening.

And in a first for either of us, for most of the way in on I-35 there was a guy who was plowing the Interstate with his own truck to get thru. She said everyone else was just in a line behind him all the way from about Esko til they hit Proctor.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just got back. Had about 5″-6″. Went home, did my driveway and 3 of my neighbor’s driveway entrance, and back to work in under 30 min. woot I love this new snow blower.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

As of 9:25am, the local weather station just NW of Two Harbors has reported 27 inches of snow so far. shock

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Only 10″ or so here in International Falls. The main band must of hit south of us.

Still coming down although it’s not heavy. Pretty as hell up here until all the roads turn brown.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Like Captain Musky said – Round # 2 here in the Sartell area dumped another 4-6 ” of more heavy Wet snow and more is still on the way today. I spent 2 Hr’s last night helping a neighbor clear a Pond Hockey rink. Of course the weight of the snow left a TON of water below the snow. 2 other guys had their snow blowers over there and none would throw the snow / Shush at all. Mine would throw it but not as far as it normally does. Between me blowing and 5-6 other people pushing with shovels we got it clear ( Rather big rink ) Not looking forward to repeating it again tonight. Between 3 driveways yesterday, A hockey rink, and 3 driveways again this morning, My old fat body needs a break.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

We only had about 4-5″ but my lil single stage was huffing and puffing. Glad I cleared once already because it is not stopping and is hot n’ heavy!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

3-4 in Woodbury but yea, this is heart attack snow. I have a snowblower but even cleanup with the shovel was tough. I have a chest cold so that is not helping either.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Had one of my River birch come down to the ground because of the wet heavy snow. shook it and tried to get some of it off, it went back up like 3ft. Looks like I have to trim some branches or cable it to the other 3 trunks to pull it back up.

Ripjiggen

Just got a new cub cadet 2 stage. And man did it just pay for itself. Did my driveway and my two neighbors one of which is an older gentleman that always shovels. No way was he going to shovel this stuff.
    What really impressed me is I have an outdoor rink and with the rain that came before the snow the rink was literally 3 inches of slush and I thought no way will this throw this stuff. My older Murry wouldn’t stand a chance. So I gave it a try and to my surprise I was launching straight slush into my neighbors yard.

CaptainMusky

Good on you Rip to help out the neighbors! The new slowblowers are quite impressive. I think the main reason is there are much tighter tolerances for the impellor so it actually forces the snow out much better.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

With the colder temps coming make sure you guys bang them on ground a few times to knock any internal slush loose and then let it run a few minutes before shutting it down. Don’t want any frozen chunks in there next time you use it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The new slowblowers are quite impressive. I think the main reason is there are much tighter tolerances for the impellor so it actually forces the snow out much better.

That and 4hp to 21hp.

stjoeguy

Last year as I put away the snowblower for the last time I announced that I was getting too old for blowing and shoveling snow. From then on I was going to hire it done. Of course, I forgot that and the first light fluffy snow of this year was easy. Today, as I wait for the snow to stop so I can clear the driveway and walk for the second time in 24 hours, I remember that announcement. Maybe next year.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8628-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_8627-scaled.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You can still hire it done. When they answer the phone ask if they take CASH or just credit cards. That’ll get ya bumped up the list.

Dave maze
    Isanti

The power was out from all the heavy snow when I came home today. The snowblower definitely got a workout! We ended up with 6″ of the heaviest snow I’ve seen in a while.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Just got the driveway done. If it was still snow we might have gotten quite a bit. However it was mainly water and slush. Complete mess. Managed to slog through it and then come along behind with a shovel and scrape down to the pavement. HEAVY stuff.

One adaptation now that I’m OTD. I’m taking a break before I go after the deck and the front sidewalk.

SR

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m bushwacked but their is no snow or ice on the driveway. Got about 300′ of driveway/parking. Hand shoveled 1/2 the plow came for the other 1/2. Had to manually scrape ice of most all, but its ALL GONE.

Gonna jump on a plane at noon tomorrow to visit the Belle, the only ice down there will be in my Ole Fashion. waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Another 1-2 inches here overnight, and its still snowing. At least this time its not the heavy wet slop. Its way more fluffier this morning.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yup, Wasn’t too bad this am but the spoil piles are building up quickly.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Watching a lady walk down our dock yesterday. It was pretty well cleaned off and she managed the steep portion well. Came down to the tee and down she went! She got up and limped off to where ever she was going faster then I could get out there.

I dusted the dock with a little chemical (so that didn’t happen to me!)

About 4 inches on the dock at the Harbor this morning.

First time I’ve seen the river gauge in Red Wing hit the 3′ mark since last summer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Watching a lady walk down our dock yesterday. It was pretty well cleaned off and she managed the steep portion well. Came down to the tee and down she went! She got up and limped off to where ever she was going faster then I could get out there.

I dusted the dock with a little chemical (so that didn’t happen to me!)

About 4 inches on the dock at the Harbor this morning.

First time I’ve seen the river gauge in Red Wing hit the 3′ mark since last summer.

You living on the boat full time now?

ThunderLund78

This morning’s snowblowing of about 3 inches from overnight was a downright pleasure as it cooled down a bit and it was normal, fluffy snow. But when I was snowblowing last night I had to stop repeatedly to clear giant slush-turds from atop the second stage going up into the shoot. rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.