Shotgun shell mishap

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

No, not a wad stuck in the barrel. This happened on one of my last waterfowl hunts on my first shot at a hen mallard. Of course I would have folded her on my second. whistling Maybe it was the duck Gods way of conservation.
    Anyway, the shell didn’t eject and the tip of the plastic was still in the chamber a little. The bolt was all the way back. What I did to get it out was rotate the shell some and put it back in the chamber and closed and opened the bolt. The extractor grabbed on a different part of the base and all was well.
    Dakota brand (Fiocchi) from Runnings. I have been shooting them in certain sizes for about 5 years. No other issues.

Attachments:
    1. shell-2.jpg

2. shell-1.jpg

Jimmy Jones

Nothing new there. Forming and folding that thin brass can leave thin areas that an injector can rip off especially if there’s a wee bit of dirt or anything in the chamber that might create any resistance to the empty coming out smoothly.

JEREMY
    BP

I tried them for pheasant hunting years back and that happened all the time. Gave the rest of the shells away. Never had it happen with any other brand.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What shotgun and how old?

It would be worth checking your ejector to make sure nothing is amiss and that it isn’t worn. Probably just a flaw in the rim of the cartridge, but you never know.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

1995 Benelli M1 Super 90. I’ve shot several boxes through it this year, mostly Kent Fasteel and it only happened on this shell.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

That shell looks pretty tarnished to me.
    Most guns struggle cycling shells in that condition. It’s possible that played into the failure.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I tried them for pheasant hunting years back and that happened all the time. Gave the rest of the shells away. Never had it happen with any other brand.

same here……i wouldnt buy another box of those!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Crazy I have the same gun probably the same year. Was about guessing 15 years ago when it happened to me and shells were brand new.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.