Shotgun Scope Rings?

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

How important is it to get ‘shotgun’ scope rings for a slug shotgun? Is the recoil on a slug gun that much more than a rifle? I’m totally naive to the subject so any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Pete

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve never shot a slug gun before but I’m told from my friends they kick more than the standard rifle. I would imagine this is also a bit of the eye the beholder scenario. I know 7MM rifles I wouldn’t touch if I was paid. I’ll be interested to see what other opinions you get.

deertracker

I have heard that as well. I would look at Burris tactical rings. Each ring has three screws on each side for great holding power. I know I need those for my .270wsm. I can see slide marks on my scope.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

How important is it to get ‘shotgun’ scope rings for a slug shotgun? Is the recoil on a slug gun that much more than a rifle? I’m totally naive to the subject so any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Pete

There’s no way a shotgun needs special rings because of recoil. Anyone who has shot any safari-class caliber can testify to the fact that a shotgun’s recoil shouldn’t be the fact that justifies special rings. If good Weaver, Burris, or Leopold rings work on a big rifle, they’ll work on a shotgun.

I would say the exception is if you’re using one of the specialized “no drill” shotgun scope mount bases, these mounting system often use special rings that match the base, so you’re locked in if using some of these systems.

As always, torque to spec and then I always use Loctite Blue to lock the threads on scopes as well. Some will say this is not necessary, and it may well not be on all guns, but suddenly noticing your scope has shot loose creates a big headache during a hunt.

I would also add to be sure to sight in and know your zero at a variety of distances. Depending on barrel length and ammo used, the barrel will climb at different rates. This can change the POI pretty dramatically at different distances on some guns.

Grouse

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Good info, thanks guys.

No special scope mounting system. It’s an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.

I’ll swing by Cabelas and see what they’ve got.

Without boresighting the gun, any suggestions on getting it sighted in in the most efficient manner?

Pete

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Without boresighting the gun, any suggestions on getting it sighted in in the most efficient manner?

Pete

The so-called “two shot method” works just as well on a shotgun as it does on a rifle if you execute it correctly and with a good rest. Google it or search YouTube, there are dozens of how-to tutorials out there.

Some time ago, I bought a roll of butcher paper. This is a tremendous help when it comes to sight-ins and patterning where for whatever reason a bore sight can’t or won’t work. 2 pieces of butcher paper creates a terrific white zone around a target so it’s easy to pick up where the first shot hits. If you’re not “on” paper with butcher paper, you have mounting issues.

The key with the two shot method is that the shotgun must be held absolutely steady when you (or your helper) starts making the scope adjustment after the first shot.

BTW, despite the catchy name, I’ve never felt that 2 shots is “good enough”, but it certainly gets you in the ballpark quickly.

Grouse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.