shopping for a new river rod

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Looking for some expert opinions. Im shopping for a new rod for walleye fishing in the river. Most of my fishing is vertical jigging 1/2, 3/4, or 1 oz one eyes or jigs and cast some cranks at wingdams. Ive never purchased a high dollar rod, always used ugly sticks or the like, but I’m ready to make a investment in a rod that will last longer and have better sensitivity. Fenwick, St. Croix, G. Loomis? What do you experts think? Thanks for any info.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Back when I fished those weights(1/2-3/4) I used the StCroix AVID SERIESĀ® INSHORE SPINNING ROD AIS70MF.

Now that I fish lower current I use them for trolling long line cranks.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I also use Avids for my jigging presentations but feel a high-quality rod for jigging may not be best for cranks at wingdams. My Avids are 6’3″ ML XF (AVS63MLXF) which are great for jigging and feeling the lightest taps but a bit too stiff for casting. Those rods are $180. I also have some Fenwicks. You might want to try the 6’6″ Walleye EliteTech ML. The fast action and longer rod would be a bit more versatile if you want to cast, drag, etc. and the rod is cheaper at $145.

I’m usually jigging 1/4-3/8 oz jigs. If you’re using heavier jigs the AVS66MF or the Fewwick MF rods are likely better choices.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

With a better rod paired with Sufix 832 you may very well be able to drop your jig weight size a bunch. Myself, I like 6lb.,easier to break off in a snag

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into all these options and ideas. Any additional inputs are welcome. IDOers are the best!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.