Shipping Fresh Fish (Fedex, UPS)

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Has anyone shipped fresh fish? I’m planning to ship a small number (4) walleye, just caught by me, to some relatives in Florida. They have been asking for some to share with friends in the area.

I don’t even know where to start. Are their commercially sold packing materials (small Styrofoam coolers) I can buy and what would I use to keep them cool? Dry ice? If yes, where do you buy dry ice?

I’m a complete rookie here, any advice? Hints?

Any legal issues?

TIA,

Eric

deertracker

Local hospitals or clinics usually have really nice styrofoam coolers that they use for shipping medicines. I have gotten them for free.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It can be done, but it’s a PITA and it’s not cheap. My father shipped salmon and halibut home from Alaska via Fed Ex.

If you use dry ice (and you may have to), you have to label the package as Haz-Mat, so you need special stickers and you need to comply with labeling regs. Both FedEx and UPS have “shipping perishables” pages on their websites that give instructions.

For 4 walleyes, the cost per pound is going to be huge.

I don’t know the legalities of shipping to FL.

Grouse

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Freeze the fish, put it in a thick styrofoam cooler with as many gel ice packs as will fit, wrap it thoroughly in duct tape so it stays together, send it overnight. We shipped 60 pounds of halibut back from Alaska that way and it survived just fine. Was still frozen like a rock when it was unpacked.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You can buy dry ice retail here >>>> http://jasonsdryice.com/

Pack one pound of dry ice in styrofoam with fish, it will stay frozen for a week. No need to overnight the package. Did this for years taking meat into the BWCA.

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Freeze the fish, put it in a thick styrofoam cooler with as many gel ice packs as will fit, wrap it thoroughly in duct tape so it stays together, send it overnight. We shipped 60 pounds of halibut back from Alaska that way and it survived just fine. Was still frozen like a rock when it was unpacked.

My brother and I have done this sending meat to Florida. Though we usually reserve shipments for winter season just to be safe.

desperado

each yr during the month of January, my dad ships me a box full of frozen Montana ranch beef via Amtrak (unheated luggage/freight car); it arrives here in about 24 hours just as frozen as it ever was
    might not work quite as well for a Florida destination though

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

My Company ships fish everyday and this is how we do it. 5 days to California from Mpls (UPS Ground…) and frozen fish is still rock solid when it arrives. No need for dry ice…RR

gary d
    cordova,il

I believe you can buy dry ice at groceys stores. I know you can buy from them down here in Illinois. I would think it would be the same. Hy-Vee,costco or super value. Good luck !!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.