Shimano Sienna vs. Pfleuger Trion

• Dylan Welle

Debating between these two reels for an ice walleye setup. Can you give me advantages and disadvantages of each? I’ve heard good things about both. Thanks!

Nick Schmitz

I’ve never used the pfleuger trion but have probably 5 or 6 sienna’s. The oldest ones I’ve had for maybe six or seven years. They work great. Never had an issue with them. They are very smooth running even hole hopping in -10 degree weather. The drag seems to be nice and smooth and consistent. The 500 size is perfect for ice fishing in my book and they are reasonably priced for what they are.

Dylan Welle

Thank you, I fish 80 feet of water and -30 degree weather in both extremes. Hole hopping. Thanks for your input, a lot of poeple if you ask for their favorite ice fishing reel the sienna is it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I tried alot of different offerings in that price range and see no other reason to change once I ran a couple siennas last winter.

In the cold they just didn’t have any of the issues others reel had. Drag coming loose, goosy handles, line not catch on bail, etc. You do need to take apart when new and dig out the grease and apply hotsauce though. She gets stiff if left factory!

The “ice” reel from pfluger the monarch was probably the worst.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have 5 siennas love every one of them. All been great I run the 500 for panfish and 1000 on my walleye rig. Great ice reel for a good price

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m with everyone else on the Sienna’s. At $30 you just can’t beat them. I had a Trion on a walleye set up awhile back and the drag isn’t as smooth as a Sienna. I have Siennas on about half of my ice rods. Never had any issues.

404 ERROR
    MN

Call me the odd duck. I’ve got close to a dozen or so Trions and Presidents for ice and absolutely love them. I’ve broken enough Sedonas on open water to steer me clear of Shimanos. I’m sure they still make decent stuff, but with so many other quality companies out there, I decided to drop em.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

Trions here – strip and relube never had a problem with any of mine. or my presidents, or my supreme xt

There are a lot of decent reels in that price range and you really can’t go wrong….lews mr trout, okuma stratus, etc.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Another Sienna vote here, great reel for the price.

Kevin Cegielski

Not that you need more convincing, but every single reel I own is a Shimano. The 500 Sienna is a sure bet hands down. I have 6 of them. I can’t seem to find anything better for the money. Best of luck this winter!

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

I like my Shimano Siennas. I would put in a carbon washer in for the felt drag washer. Night and day difference, and very smooth. You can find them online, or I get mine through TUCR for about $5/carbon washer.

Nathan Lindall
    Eden Prairie, MN

Definitely the sienna, but I agree that they benefit from a little TLC right out of the box.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.