Shimano Compre Thoughts?

• Alex Weismann

Hello!

Just wanted to ask about the Shimano Compre 8’6” Heavy rod and see if anyone has used it. It looks like it’d be a great first Muskie rod for me, but I wanted to get other opinions on it as well.

Aaron Wiebe from Uncut Angling seemed to think highly of it in one of his videos as well.

Thanks for any help!

stevenoak

I have that same rod in 8′. Recommended by a Shimano rep friend of mine. With that said, I’m not a Muskie fisherman. More Muskie on my bucket list guy. Only fish them when I go north. Not many in fishable numbers in my neck of the woods. For more serious fisherman. He recommended Loomis. Muskie Hunter switched from St Croix I believe. Compre is 1/4th the price. Think it would be a good starter rod.

catmando
    wis

If you like it and it will handle the lures and the way you want to fish, buy it. And don’t feel bad about it. The fish don’t care what rod it was caught on…. From a St Croix Premire and Fenwick HMG user. DK.

stevenoak

I would rather have 3 Compres. In different length-power configurations. With 3 lures tied on than one St Croix or Loomis. Doing a quick lure change for a follow up cast. About the same money, excluding reels. I have a bunch of high end rods. They are great for feeling the fish breath on your jig. But not an issue with Muskies. Also high end rod warranties are becoming less impressive all the time. If money is no issue, or you’re going to be a died in the wool Muskie fisherman. Swing away.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I would rather have 3 Compres. In different length-power configurations. With 3 lures tied on than one St Croix or Loomis. Doing a quick lure change for a follow up cast. About the same money, excluding reels. I have a bunch of high end rods. They are great for feeling the fish breath on your jig. But not an issue with Muskies. Also high end rod warranties are becoming less impressive all the time. If money is no issue, or you’re going to be a died in the wool Muskie fisherman. Swing away.

That’s a better way of saying what I sent you via pm. This is the perfect answer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.