Tornado at Z Lake

• shermanator
    Nebraska

Had a small tornado or some straight line winds hit the cabins this am. Our family cabin received some damage to the carport, but the inside is dry.
    The only real bad part is that the boat windshield was destroyed with glass all over the place . So, depending on fix-it time, I won’t be doing a whole lot of fishing in the near future.
    All in all, it could have been a heck of a lot worse for the 6-10 cabins affected, but at least no one was hurt. Sherm

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

My wife said it got pretty nasty when that stuff went through

djorg
    Central City, NE

We were at the lake and got off about 2 minutes before the winds hit. We had time to pull off of the ramp and into a parking place up by the restrooms where we road out the storm. The pickup really rocked and you couldn’t see 100 feet at times. Hail and rocks from the parking lot; along with leaves and branches pelted the pickup.

Major tree damage and damage to a lot of trailers in the marina area. We put the boat back in and went up to our cabin in the houses and we didn’t have any damage. I think that the marina area took the brunt of the storm. A number of the boats in the marina area broke loose from their moorings. I have pictures of one pontoon boat that is flipped upside down on one of the floaters.

Everyone that has property at the marina needs to applaud the work of Jim Ummell and his group from the marina. They were on top of the cleanup and contacting owners within minutes of the storm clearing.

The thing that I am happiest about is that this hit on a Monday morning when there were only about a half dozen boats on the water at the time. We watched the storm coming up from the south and luckily were just around the corner up trail 8 when the noise started.

Luckily, we got the grandson and the Crestliner off in time and no one got hurt.

Whites didn’t want to cooperate too much after the storm.

Good fishin’
    jorg

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Good to hear you got out of there unscathed, Jorg! I was at work all night, and watched it roll through. It was a light show like you wouldn’t believe, and even though the lightning NEVER stopped (made it difficult to listen to the radio!), it was a short lived windstorm. Lots of branches down around Kearney.

djorg
    Central City, NE

There was one boat that rolled in after the storm broke. He had a full cover on it but he must have found some place to hide out of the wind. Some are saying straight line winds of 70 – 80 mph.

It sucked the doors out on some of the marina’s storage buildings and soffets out of cabins. Quite the mess.

We are lucky that no one got hurt.

jorg

shermanator
    Nebraska

Flatwalter- The pontoon boat that was turned upside down was on my dock. And not to start any debates, but Ummels never got ahold of anybody on the affected street, and were never there to render any services to us. My neighbor was in his hole, and I was probably cotacted before you had your boat back on the water.

Yes Ummels take care of the whole place, but tree branches are easy to pick up and should have been the last priorty in my opinion. We were all told, by Ummels, to leave the mess sit until insurance people got there,(Most had already contacted and were told to take pictures and get cleaning up)and that any trash had to be hauled off. I guess in a normal day to day operations, they would not want lumber in the tree pile, but exceptions should be made for these circumstances.

Overall, I am very unhappy with the Ummels,but like true neighbors, we all got together and helped each other out until everything was cleaned up. Sorry to rant. Sherm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.