Sherman makes Walleye In-Sider

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I just got my April 2007 issue of Walleye In-Sider and in the in the North America’s Top Walleye Waters they had listed Sherman as Nebraska’s best bet for a trophy walleye. This may be the year to catch limits of some nice eaters too. It looks as though the ’03 and ’04 year classes have finally grown up. This should also make this an interesting year for tournaments on Sherman as well.

AdamMarotz

I was wondering if you saw that. I was noticed that too.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

It’s not a secret anymore And I only live 20 minutes away

prov1900
    NE Nebraska

Hopefully, they do another article, after I win the State Farm Open

djorg
    Central City, NE

Well there goes another Nebraska lake down the tube. Didn’t Infisherman do an article on the great bluegill fishing on Pelican Lake at the refuge? That did that.

Those of us with cabins on the lake kind of like it to be an unknown.

Thanks’

dj

ps The avatar is a Sherman walleye, too.

TMFLDEM

Good post Ben. Sherman has always been a known fishery around nebraska fisherman (always will be). I still dont believe sherman (or any other nebraska lake) is going to top big mac as the trophy walleye fishery.

There was an article many years ago about pelican being a premeir bluegill lake and that did bring alot of out of state fisherman in (no one that owned a bussiness in valentine will gripe about that) and the gills did get harder to find (some say extinct) but, i beliee it was more local people (in state?) than out of state folks that ruined the gill fishing there. I know of a lot of people that kept a lot of 1.5-2 lb gills out of there that were locals, it wasnt the nationwide attention that wiped out the gills(for the most part). There is no way that one arcticle in a magazine about sherman being the top trophy reservoir in the state will bring in as many people as the refuge lakes did with the world class panfish that were once abundant.

bring on the eyes

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Merrit is already on top of Mac when it comes to numbers of fish over 8lbs and Sherman isn’t far behind. Mac isn’t what it was just a few years ago because of the low water. I really wish they would close the dam out there like they do at Sherman and just let the ‘eyes’ do there thing without be bothered. The catching that people do along the dam at Mac isn’t fishing anyway. My $.02

prov1900
    NE Nebraska

The same thing happened to Calumus. Fell victim to an In-Fisherman article. It just boils down to responsible fishing…by everyone, including locals.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’m sure in the next couple of years the walleye fishing will be great at Sherman. I’ve noticed the last couple of years there have been a lot of people that have blamed tough bites on the pike that are in there. I’ve heard numerous people say that they are eating the walleyes. (I don’t think this is true if we have 2 great walleye year classes approaching 18 inches) Now in a couple of years after these great year classes run their course people will blame the slow down on this article. It’s just human nature to have a reason why things aren’t like they used to be. I’m not saying that added fishing pressure doesn’t add to decresed numbers of quality fish but until catch and release becomes as popular in the walleye world as it is in the bass world there will always be finger pointing.
    Keep in mind Sherman will also have some added fishing pressure because of poor water levels at most of Nebraska’s other reservoirs.
    I’ll bet that 2 years from now Calamus walleye fishing will be better due to a lot of anglers looking for keepers heading to Sherman for the next 2 summers.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Well said Ben I don’t think that the Pike are hurting the walleye, I just think they are a pain in the @$$ We also need to remember that the ‘eyes’ in Sherman are a lot different than many other lakes. Sherman is not a lake that you can just go there and catch keepers ‘eyes’. You need to know what is going on there and do some research to be able to find keeper sized ‘eyes’ there. I am not worried about this article hurting Sherman at all, I mean they are milking the crap out of that lake in the spring for other fisheries and they still have a good population of walleye. I can’t even imagine what the lake would be like if all the eggs were left there

djorg
    Central City, NE

Sherman is free from the grips of the winter. Saw five boat trailers in the marina cove. Most were fishing the major points around the marina. Don’t know how they did. Spent the day working on the cabin.

Good fishin’
    dj

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Talked to Ben earlier, early report was good. I am sure he will have a full report tomorrow or Monday.

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Got a call from Ben last night as he was finishing things up for the day… Sounded like he will have a pretty good report coming this afternoon. I was supposed to make the trip with him but ended up having something else come up and could not make it for the whole day.

Layne Monroe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.