Heading to Sherman!!

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

My cousin Pete and I are leaving Friday evening for Sherman. We are going to try out some night trolling up there Friday and Saturday nights. Definately going to target walleye. Sherman is supposed to be the best reservoir in the state for the fall walleye bite.
    Has anyone put together a pattern on these fish in the last few weeks??

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Good luck to you because other folks are not doing well.

walleye4
    On the Water

I have gotten a few mixed reports and that is about it. Some are doing alright and some are not. Sounds like trolling is still the way for walleye.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Yup, everything I’ve been hearing has been done with trolling too, although it has sounded to me like it’s slowed down. Ah, but these guys that I hear from are trolling during the day….I hope they turn on for you at night and you kill em, I think there’s a great chance of it!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Brian- That’s what we’re hoping for. We’re going to try to stay on the water until 4 or 5 AM both Friday and Saturday nights.
    My new Lowrance 111 should be waiting for me at home today and I’m going to spend tonight in the boat trying to get it wired up. Hope it helps out finding the eyes this weekend.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Well my cousin Pete and I made it to Sherman late Friday night. We quickly set up camp and dropped the boat in the water. On our first pass we had a nice one on for about 30 seconds and then about 2 minutes later a plump little 17 incher. Boy we thought we were in for a good night, but that was it. We marked a lot of nice fish just couldn’t figure out what they wanted. We stayed out untill 2 AM and then headed to bed.

Saturday turned out to be a scary day. We woke up at 10 and headed down to Tradewinds marina for coffee and some fishing talk. It was close to noon when we got on the water and we decided to have a look around the lake. The water level is close to 20 feet low so we wanted to look around at some of the islands and trees that are sticking out. We got our trolling rods out and started fishing some areas we were marking some nice fish. Pete headed to the bow to lay down because he was getting a BAD headache. It wasn’t long and he wanted me to take him to the truck so he could run to town to get something for his headache. I went back out to troll while he was gone and he called me when he got to town and said he was calling an ambulance. His headache had gotten so bad that his arms and legs were going numb and he could hardly see. The first thing I thought was that he’s haveing a stroke. I flew into the marina and had someone run me into town to get the truck. They took him to the hospital in Grand Island and had him fixed in no time. He said he thought his head was going to split open before they got him there. After all of this we decided it would be best if we just headed home. I packed up camp and stopped and picked him up in Grand Island. They said he had a compression headache. I guess it’s the most severe tension headache you can get. I hope he never has to go through that again.
    We’re planning on making up some fishing this weekend for the full moon bite at Branched Oak.

Todd_NE

What was wrong with Pete? Wow

Send me pics of the lake

Todd

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

What was wrong with Pete? Wow

The doctors said it was a compression headache. He had a hypertensive crisis caused from a cold medicine a few years ago and that’s what he thought was happening again.
    His blood pressure wasn’t too high but after having the hypertensive crisis before it’s nothing you want to mess around with. Those things can kill you.

Quote:

Send me pics of the lake

I was planning on getting some pics later that day but with everything with Pete I left in a big hurry. Maybe Zach will make it up there soon and he can get some pics to you.

Todd_NE

Glad he’s ok, I’m sure he’s going on for a few tests??? I get bad headaches myself, but that sounded really scary.

Todd

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

You should have got pics by now as they have been letting water in for a while. The lake will be to winter pool shortly.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

DAMN, that is scary, and not a good time at all. I’m glad he’s all right and you guys made it out of there safely.

I’m sorry I didn’t get you called on Saturday….I ended up winterizing the boat I have for sale and all that kind of stuff, so I just hung around here. Looks like it worked out for the better. I will get you called one of these days shortly. Good luck at BO.

djorg
    Central City, NE

We fished Sherman Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and Sunday without any success. We trolled cranks and vertical jigged the drops with zero success except for one 2# channel on a crank.

They are letting a little water in at this time and it should reach winter pool before long.

Most of the fish that we saw on the Lowrance were staged in the 25-27′ range. We did not see any schools of shad; wonder where they all went. Last year at this time they were really balled up and we were able to slab some nice whites and an occasional big walleye.

This was probably the last visit for the fall.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Welcome to IDA flatwater!!

Quote:

Most of the fish that we saw on the Lowrance were staged in the 25-27′ range. We did not see any schools of shad; wonder where they all went. Last year at this time they were really balled up and we were able to slab some nice whites and an occasional big walleye.

We also marked a lot of nice fish in that depth range on Saturday before we had to leave. We also marked a lot of nice fish in the 7 to 16 ft range in the corners at the ends of the dam. That’s also were we had the one on and caught the 17 incher. There was also quite a few bait fish in those areas on Friday night too.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

The whites have been hanging out in that NE corner of the dam but I have no idea where the rest of them are at???

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hey Jorg, glad to see you made it over here!!

I think it’s going to start to get real chilly out….I have today off and really wanted to go, but man it’s cold out there. Besides, I got to license my truck today and all that, so I guess I’ll go do that instead.

Over in the canal I’ve been noticing all kinds of big bait balls suspended over 25-30′ of water. We tried dragging some cranks thru them but never did really connect. We had one on for a short time, but it came unhooked.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Yeh Brian, even old dogs can learn new tricks every once in a while. I’ll get you to drag a few cranks next fall and maybe you can teach me to catch some canal fish.

I found a picture from ’74 of myself with some Tri-County cats; I even had some dark stuff in my hair back then. Plus about 75 less lbs.

But the problem that still bothers me is where have all of the shad gone in Sherman. We also saw the shallower fish on the south end of the dam and thought that would be whites. It was the only place that we caught any numbers of whites this summer and they were small.

Any large whites came off of the main points and they were mistake fish for us.

Will be putting the Crestliner to for the winter.

Todd_NE

You are way to close to Yankton to put your cresliner away Flatwater!!!

walleye4
    On the Water

I’d like to make it up that way and go out with you Todd. Maybe we can get together some time when we come to West Point to see my brother. Sure would like to learn how to fish the river up there!

djorg
    Central City, NE

If there is anyone at Sherman this weekend drop me a line. I have a couple of free days next week and might need a place to go.

Have taken advise and not winterized yet.

Probably will begin watching the Huskers on Saturday and when they fall behind I’ll go out and work on the boat.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.