Sheepshead Cut Bait For Flatheads

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thought it appropriate to make a video Saturday of how i prepare my Sheepshead cut bait for flathead catfish.

I’ll use anything from 8″ up to 18″ sheepshead on 8/0 circle hooks.

There is no bait too big for flatheads. When using Cut bait, I find size matters.

chris
    northern Illinois

Thanks, I will have to give this a try since it is kind of hard for me to get good live bait. What size hooks were you using?

catnip
    south metro

????i will try them next time i catch one thanks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That camera has to be a mess! LOL!

riverruns
    Inactive

What’s the reason for snipping off the fins? I’ve also see on other videos of scaling the fish before using as cutbait? Is that necessary? Thanks. The video was great.

Deuces

SHEEPSHEAD CUT BAIT FOR FLATHEADS!!!
    Fixed the header for ya, it’s all about the exclamation for that clickbait man.

I appreciate that video. I’ll chase flatties some point this year, that helps. waytogo

deertracker

Do you have a favorite part to use?
    DT

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What’s the reason for snipping off the fins?

Two reasons.
    1 Fins often cause a bait in current to spin. Think lindy rig “Spin n GLo” This is NOT preferred by catfish…though spin n glo’s actually do work for catfish, your cutbait spinning like one doesn’t.

2nd reason is long winded (Short version here) and more related to the gut pocket dorsal fins, the hook size, and not wanting the fish to turn the bait to eat it a specific way or in other ways deter them from eating at all. Also the dorsals can interfere with my hook.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Thought it appropriate to make a video Saturday of how i prepare my Sheepshead cut bait for flathead catfish.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Sheepshead cut bait for Flathead catfish” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/XX6bg4jbxds?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>
    There is no bait too big for flatheads. When using Cut bait, I find size matters.

Thank you, and I do have to compliment you on the music selection. Flatties and Beastie Boys go well together!!!

zooks

Thank you, and I do have to compliment you on the music selection. Flatties and Beastie Boys go well together!!!

I liked that too, turned on “Pass the Mic” right away!

Nice video Andy, I’ll watch more if you make them.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Fishblood – I gave up on circles for flatheads a long time ago because my hooking percentage dropped significantly. But they are obviously working for you – which begs the question – what are you doing different that I was?

I love circles for channels because I think they are more likely to grab and turn downstream, thus hooking themselves quickly with an engaged reel. But with flatheads ( I fish mostly at night, not sure if that would make a difference) they can grab and sit there, grab and go sideways, upstream, etc., thus making circles less effective by my thinking.

Are you usually fishing circles for flats with an engaged reel or do you use the clicker and reel up on them?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Are you usually fishing circles for flats with an engaged reel or do you use the clicker and reel up on them?

Cut bait I run an engaged reel on a super tight drag.
    Two things happen, either they take it and put a full load on the rod.

Or they take it and don’t put a full load on rod…I reel down and put the full load on the rod. I do so at a slow steady rate hoping to engage the hook.

But with flatheads they can grab and sit there, grab and go sideways, upstream, etc.,

Yes they do!!

I run J hooks when I fish live bait, but I don’t run a clicker. I loosen the drag… But no where near clicker loose. They can still bend the rod half way before I tighten drag and wap’m with a bill dance hook set.

Fish in the summer will take big meals. Wittle itty bitty flatheads will give anything an attempt. I do not worry about catching dinks and take the assumption many hits are from the over aggressive little fish.

Example: 1/2 LB jig with 10″ lively sucker, suspended…a 20″ channel cat will SLAM it. And I’ve hooked them too. Flats of course in this size class are more than capable of trying to eat it and often they can.

My biggest problem with circle hooks happens when a big Flathead (over 40#) takes a BIG GULP BITE on a circle hook. Inhaling hard enough the rod dat near doubles over in an instant… Clearly a beast bucketmouth hit… But too fast for a circle hook to catch on anything.

Cats as you know also can bite hard and not let go, keeping the hook in a position whether be it a J or circle to only tear out of the bait as you or they apply more pressure.

This is just fishing. Can’t control what bites, but generally speaking if a Flathead is over 10# it can eat whatever bait your running.

There’s also a reason I only use 8/0 whether I be targeting sturgeon, Flathead or channel. One of them is because your chances of hooking a Flathead is always possible when fishing the bottom and should one bite so the hook is in the lip and not the corner you have a chance of hooking it because of the larger gap.

I do catch lots of flats on circles and I miss plenty too.
    No different than J hooks in many ways though. With a J on a clicker you might let anything from a walleye to a turtle convince you of a Flathead bite before you set the hook and lose your bait.
    Whereas a tight drag with a circle the smaller fish will give up or if they just cannot get it in their mouth it will pull out as they try to run with it.

6 of 1, half dozen the other…IMO

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Thanks for the info. I thought this fish dropped the bait after the initial hit. I looked at the line about 45 seconds later and it was almost sideways to the boat. No rod bend , no clicker. When I set the hook it felt like a 10 lb’er until it figured out it was hooked, then it was game on….

Attachments:
    1. croppppppflarhead.jpg

NoFish

Thanks for posting this. I’ve never targeted flatheads before, the idea of fishing live bait and mostly at night has always been a bit more than I have time for. Went out and tried this in a few spots Wednesday and caught 2. Neither were very big by flathead standards, but much bigger than the 5lb ones that you chance in to while sturgeon fishing. They were also the first two I’ve caught while targeting them. No doubt I’ll try that again.

The only embarrassing thing is how long it took me to catch the sheep….

Deuces

The only embarrassing thing is how long it took me to catch the sheep….

rotflol
    Funny how u can’t keep em off the line when u don’t want em though.

Good info fellas.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks for posting this. I’ve never targeted flatheads before, the idea of fishing live bait and mostly at night has always been a bit more than I have time for. Went out and tried this in a few spots Wednesday and caught 2. Neither were very big by flathead standards, but much bigger than the 5lb ones that you chance in to while sturgeon fishing. They were also the first two I’ve caught while targeting them. No doubt I’ll try that again.

Puts a smile on my face!
    Keep at it!

Fishing is a challenge, even catching sheephead at times waytogo

They will get bigger for you!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180921_060951_992.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Daughter lost a giant with this 22″ sucker’s head. She said “only thing we’ll catch with that is a shark”
    Two minutes later we had a “shark On” )

Can’t win them all

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190629132048014.jpg

Cody Meyers

This is a really good thread.

I’ve been freezing some fresh caught suckers (not quite as big as your photo above, but good size) for channel cat bait and have been saving the heads and vacuum sealing them into bags for flathead baits to use later. Any experience with frozen cut biats? My experience is that fresh cut bait is most often best, but I can’t bring myself to pitch out a bunch of nice big flatty baits that I already have.

Thanks in advance

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What makes flathead fishing challenging is often acquiring bait.

If you freeze bait fresh, and do an excellent job of avoiding any freezer burn – you’ve got a pretty decent piece of bait vs having none at all.

Grizper

I cant tell you how many flatties we have caught just because we have seen the line moving laterally or going slack (good anchoring is key here to prevent boat sway). I still use circles but like FBMR stated a lot of times you need to “load” the rod yourself with a slow steady retrieve. Careful those of you new to this, it is really addictive once you land your first big one and see a 10/0 hook look tiny in that giant mouth. Great info on these boards from guys like FBMR, Steve, BK and tons of other people look into the archives.

Gary Mount

Any spots around Rochester area for big cats

tight_lines
    SE Minnesota

This is a great post – question is it preferable to use fresh cut bait during the day or do large chubs or bully’s work just as well? I attempt to fish overnight here and there but way more often can only sneak away 5am-11am or 5pm-midnight. I have a couple young kids and a wife that works weekends so I’m usually going on short notice. Thanks!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Any spots around Rochester area for big cats

“BIG” catfish reside in the major river systems in Minnesota.

St Croix
    Mississippi
    Minnesota River
    Red River (Channel Cats)

question is it preferable to use fresh cut bait during the day or do large chubs or bully’s work just as well?

Really you can do whatever you want.

But, to really answer your question…Cutbait for flatheads is a run/gun approach. Live bait is a sit and wait approach. At least, that’s how i view, and approach the two.

Live bait doesn’t take well to being tossed around many times.
    Cut bait can. Fresh is best. Sheepshead are easy to catch so they’re always fresh when you cut them.

I’ve learned to catch more flats running and gunning than sit and wait. I hope that helps.
    BTW, i’ve been told they’re ON FIRE right now.

Attachments:
    1. IMG950939.jpg

2. CameraZOOM-20170730070320173.jpg

3. CameraZOOM-20180908152253088.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Cut bait 50 LB or over fish:

Attachments:
    1. 10436084_732336906803168_5855100893575425318_n-1.jpg

2. full-26433-37808-img951812.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

They’re on FIRE!
    Haven’t found a time when they aren’t biting this week, if you got the bait in front of them, it can take less than 2 minutes to get bit. I wouldn’t keep a bait in a spot more than 13 minutes at this time.

Look to moderately heavy flow, very near to faster flow. Neck down areas (Narrowest sections of the mississippi) have been predictable.

Good Luck.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Nice! I can verify that 2 weeks ago too Wabasha area in the current seams. I did not have cut bait but they sure enjoy jigging raps too. I rarely target cats, usually stumble on them by accident. Definitely not a numbers bite on the jigging raps but the ones that hit em are at least 10.

Have you ever got em on jigging raps or anything artificial?

Jason
    Hastings

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”Sheepshead cut bait for Flathead catfish” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/XX6bg4jbxds?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Thanks Fishblood – I actually came across this video on youtube before looking at any forums on catfishing. Landed a few nicer cats using cutbait after watching! I run quite a bit from the dam in Hastings down to Prescott – I’m in a red and white Crestliner, if you see me out there stop by and say hi!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.