Sheepie's

• matt

The sheepies are back to their hungry selves again.Buddy picked up this dandy today.19-1/2lbs on a cheapie scale and roughly 30″long with a 24″girth.His personal best,he had no clue they got this big so he got quite a kick out of it

Attachments:
    1. 20150404_173604.jpg

Trapper16
    Lakeville, MN

Wow that thing is huge ! guess the ones I have caught and thought were big I won’t talk about anymore.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Believe it or not I’ve caught one over 20 pounds in Lake Erie. The things bite anything jigs, rapalas, live bait. (4 to 12) pound is more the norm for lake Erie. Everything grows big in Lake Erie eastern end: trout, Walleye, Perch, smallmouth, etc.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ What he said…and nice photo for the wall too!

matt

I have caught many of them trolling crankbaits,the first one I caught this season came on a smash shad two days before this picture.I was on the St.Croix with a buddy years ago casting crankbaits and catching small walleyes when I had something big hammer my lure I told him to get the net thinking I had a nice walleye.Thats the day I learned sheepshead grew bigger then the 2lb variety I usually caught!

hnd

i caught one pushing 15 fishing from a bridge. i had to walk it down about 50 yds while still holding on to it. and then pull it up a 6′ wall. it was one of the most exciting things i’d ever done at that point. i was like 17. because of that, i certainly don’t mind catching a nice big sheepie here or there.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

too bad they don’t taste like red fish

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its a shame that sheepers that big don’t dine on bighead carp. And zebra mussels.

1bogey

Tom, On the great lakes (especially the western end of Erie) Sheppies do eat zebra muscles. I have cleaned many crushed zebra musclees out of the carpet due to the darn critters.

But they are sure fun to have kids real in.

fishdale

Its a shame that sheepers that big don’t dine on bighead carp. And zebra mussels.

I have caught some big ones on pool 2 that have crapped zebra mussels all over the boat. One thing about the big ones they sure do smell.

matt

That had to be one hell of an adventure catching a sheepie of that size off of a bridge! It took a driving rain along with a trip down the freeway at 70 to finally get the slime,smell,and whatever else it deposited washed off the boat.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

The noble sheepshead! Fun to catch! It’s funny when you find a bait they really like. A few years ago I had some tube jigs with pink-orange tentacles and the larger sheepies went NUTS over them! They also go bonkers over live crayfish.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Holly smackeroons! That’s a big one. Great picture and catch. No matter the species any fish caught out of the norm is pure excitement.

Speaking about what they deposit in our boats. When they are in spawn mode they get verry aggressive as we all know. Well my budy caught a big guy and while he was unhooking it the fish decided to fertilize all over him. The look on his face was priceless and every spring that event is remembered. That day the sheepies were on a rampage, could not keep them of the line no matter where we went.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Did you take the rocks out of his head? We used to do that when we were kids and make puka (don’t know if that’s the proper spelling but spelling is not my strong suit) shell necklaces with them. That one would have had some nice ones.

matt

Holly smackeroons! That’s a big one. Great picture and catch. No matter the species any fish caught out of the norm is pure excitement.

Speaking about what they deposit in our boats. When they are in spawn mode they get verry aggressive as we all know. Well my budy caught a big guy and while he was unhooking it the fish decided to fertilize all over him. The look on his face was priceless and every spring that event is remembered. That day the sheepies were on a rampage, could not keep them of the line no matter where we went.

HaHa,that would have been great to see that! After it just slimed my gear there was no way I was letting him chop it open,even tho my boat is easily hosed down I couldnt have standed the stink and slime for the resta the day.I tried to get him to convince him his wife would enjoy it mounted on the wall to no avail.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.