After work success

• coppertop
    Central MN

Today after work a good friend of mine and I searched for sheds in a new area. In all my years I’ve never been in a woods with big buck potential due to the literally hundreds of rubs and rubs that were on huge trees, something I’m not used to. My jaw dropped further and further as we searched. Sorry, I just haven’t got over it yet. The monster rubs and fresh deer sign was everywhere I was completely sure I was going to find that 80″+ shed. I couldn’t have been more wrong as I found my smallest shed to date, a spike . Still happy to add it to my collection. While searching we found 4 dead deer one dead coon and a dead oppossum. From what I have no idea. When we left for the night I actually had to scrub the deer poo off of my boots as it was caked thick. Can’t wait to hit that spot earlier next year as I found sign of previous searchers . And no I’m not going back to look for the match!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Those are some big rubs for that little spike! Congrats on your find. Hope to see some trail cam pics of these bucks next year!

deertracker

Looks like a Pope and Young spiker.
    DT

lick

the small ones are harder to find congrats looks like great area

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hey Coppertop, that looks like a great place! How many acres is that? That seems like a lot of dead deer for one area!? Could that be winter kill? Were they all last years fawns? Just curious!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

How many is that for you this year Coppertop??? A find is a find!

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

That looks like a great spot, just need to go in earlier next year. Now….how do I get my GPS tracking beacon into that green backpack
    On Saturday I had the privilege of shed hunting with Muskie50 and another guy. While knocking on doors we got permission on a 100 acre piece that was just incredible, the entire ridgetop was grass mixed with pines and ceders and all surrounded by hardwoods and coulees going in every direction. Rubs on every other tree, old scrapes…deer running all over the place and we only found two old sheds that were all cracked and chewed up. . We even used the same joke saying that we needed to stop to scrape the deer crap off of our boots because they were starting to get heavy. At this point in the year I am just out looking for new places like this though, you eventually find little sweet spots like that and go to them every year

gobbler
    Central, MN

I know where you were….. One day i will get to go shed hunting w/ you

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

how do I get my GPS tracking beacon into that green backpack

I just feed him enough Limon and he’ll spill the beans on anything you want to know! Jk Randy.

Gobbler-I’m telling you man, after the bad carma with the squirrels it’s gonna take a lot for Randy to take you out shed hunting.

gobbler
    Central, MN

WalleyBuster5… i will make it up to you next fall at the golf course. there are too many squirrels to count out there. plus…. i don’t want to miss out on your world famous “Squirrel Heart Stew”

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Sweet. I can’t wait to bust em up. In January of course!

BTW: To give everyone a better idea of how high that rub is in the first picture: Randy is 6’9″ tall. That must have been a monster deer.

coppertop
    Central MN

6’9″ minus a foot. Dart, This area is just under 80 acres. I’m boggled by the dead animals too. Not sure of their causes. Yes, all seemed to be last years fawns even one confirmed button buck. I rarely see this in my hunting areas so Not sure what to think plus there is plenty of standing corn in the area

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.