Shagwa variable ice 12/27/15

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Checked Shagwa lake in several spots today and found a good solid 6″ in front of Grand Ely Lodge. As I neared sandy point it tapered down to less than 2 inches where there was open water a few days ago. 19th ave landing had all slush made, cloudy ice about 2-5″ thick. These below zero temps tonight should be really help

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Did you check wind sock? Or airplane lane?

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I didn’t, but I heard some people put hard houses by the windsock… We stayed in front of GEL today and while the walleye were tight lipped, the pike were active on the tip ups. We kept a few in the mid twenty inch range and released a fat momma over 15 lbs!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Nice that lake is so much fun. You can get nice walleyes big pike and monster perch when I was in college my buddy caught a 17.5 inch perch out there. However for me other than one day it is not a numbers lake.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

It is a fun lake and it can be a numbers lake once you pattern the fish. I’ve had several outings catching nearly 100 eyes over 15″ in a day. It is a pressured lake too, so you will rarely to never see that kind of action if you’re near any crowds. Sometimes the best bite can be after midnight too. I can’t tell you how many times I threw in the towel at 9pm, to find out the next day that the fish went wild at 11!

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

I have spent a lot of nights on that lake sun down to sun up and have had just enough action a fish every half hour or so. I bet if you know the lake you can do well. There is a lot of structure out there and it fishes big. Its tough that there isn’t roads everywhere just the 4 spots that are community holes. I never summer fished it but want to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.