September walleye trip

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Looking for more expert help from the IDOers. Brother in law and I are going to take a trip somewhere around third week of September. Only time that works. Considering, MN, SD or Canada. Where do you folks recommend? Not looking to fly in, but drive to and stay about a week. Bro lo has a 18.5′ Alumacraft to take. Thanks for any input!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Looking for eyes? Eaters or trophies?

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Walleyes, perch northerns/smallies in that order.Yes…..would like a good shot at a trophy, but looking to stay entertained as well with numbers. Guess we want it all, as everyone does.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Rainy for eyes. Samllies are good. Don’t know about perch but if you can find crappies they are brutes. Last fall rainydaze guide service was on a great crappie bite.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Every consider Erie? Hits your requirements with the exception of maybe Northern.

FDR

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Everything I’ve heard about Erie and the Great lakes scares the crap out of me with that big of water. Thanks for the input folks. Any more ideas are welcomed. I need to get something booked this month.

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Lake of the Woods. We have done very well the last several years in September out of the south shore area. Plenty of eaters, some slot fish and always a chance at a trophy.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Rainy for eyes. Samllies are good. Don’t know about perch but if you can find crappies they are brutes. Last fall rainydaze guide service was on a great crappie bite.

x2, I do Rainy each September unless something really strange happens. Only difference with MxSkeeter is that we target pike most of the time. Know there are good crappies but don’t take the time.

Does scenery matter? Devil’s Lake hits all the species and is doing well for several years. Personally I will never go there when the Canadian shield lakes are an option.

Before everyone calls me out on that one, I’m from ND so I’ve seen the prairie wave

vger
    River Falls, WI

I’d try the bay of Green Bay (Door Co.). Lots of fish, big and small and it has everything (Pike, Eyes, SM, and Crappie) including shelter from the nastier weather and places to goes if it’s REALLY nasty. In Sept. you’ll be working the closer shore areas; get a guide for a day and they’ll show you some good spots and let you know what’s hot on that spot and that time: money well spent. Good luck and let us know how your trip goes. I’m done with Canada, to pricey (you have to buy a permit to buy a license – REALLY! No more of that rip-off for me) for what you get; 20 years ago they were a good bargain but no longer. WI, MN, SD have just as good fishing for a fraction of the cost and hassle.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks for the ideas! Keep em comin. Still haven’t pulled the trigger on where to go yet. Gotta decide pretty soon.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Thanks for the ideas! Keep em comin. Still haven’t pulled the trigger on where to go yet. Gotta decide pretty soon.

Hit Canada that time of year-Go hit Wabaskang for September, good bite and good odds that time of year for a trophy.I’ve fished it all open water seasons and September is my favorites. When you find them, they’re generally there all week that time of year. Plus, you’ll have lots of space to yourself. Tall Pines Camp is still open; good rates, gas and bait right on the dock, really comfortable cabins-a hot shower and comfortable cabin can be nice that time of year.
    PM me if you want details for places to stay or where to fish there. waytogo

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My father and I have recently moved our fall trip to Leech Lake and have really enjoyed it.

Bigger water, lots of walleye in, over and under the slot. Perch fishing is good too (from what I hear).

Smallies are rare, but good large mouth lake if you need to chase those.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I do Rainy Lake with my uncle on the first weekend of October and we have a good time. If the wind blows, just fish behind an island, but you will want the lakemaster or navionics chip for your locator, the rocks seem to come out of nowhere

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks for all the input! Booked a trip to Wabaskang Lake near Perrault Falls, ON. Recommended by IDO’s own reverend. Leave the 9/18. Can’t wait! thanks again! Tight lines!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.