Selling Guns

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

My brother in law recently passed away and his wife asked me to sell his guns. First up is hand gun a Ruger P345 45 caliber. Have no idea how to sell it as it does not seem like something you put up for sale on craigslist. It looks like he fired about 25 rounds through it as wife said he only bought 2 boxes of shells and there are one full box of 50 and and 25 left in the other, the gun looks brand new. So any thoughts don’t want gun getting into wrong hands. Gun, case, 75 rounds was thinking asking around
    $350-$400 after looking at the internet don’t know if that is an accurate price or not. Was going to go to pawn america and see what they would give me for it but not going to sell at steep discount. Thanks in advance for any info.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Move this to the classified section first.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just found that gun brand new for 387 to 447. So I think your price is a hair high. Unless it comes with extras. Mnarmslist.com is a place you can sell fire arms. Or obviously on here. I’ve bought traded and sold with other ido members.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wouldn’t bother with pawn America unless you wanted to be offered 150 bucks.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Thanks for the reply Bearcat. I saw the 387 price for new on the internet but when clicked on the links no one actually had a new one. Only used one I could find was asking 443 so that is how I came up with the price range for Gun and bullets. Will do a little more searching and check out the website you suggested.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For a clear conscious, which I also really like for hand guns is all sales transfer through a FFL

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Thanks Randy looked up FFL didn’t know anything about it. Good advice and will do.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks Randy looked up FFL didn’t know anything about it. Good advice and will do.

Any gun shop will do the transfer for you for a small fee.

Reef W

An FFL will charge about $20 to the buyer and the buyer will have to go through NICS check like buying one at a store. A lot of delays are happening now with NICS so it could end up being a two visit process if it doesn’t go through right away. If they show you a permit to purchase or permit to carry (neither of which are actually required for private sale) that’s someone who has already passed a background check from either their local PD or county sheriff.

Reef W

Also what is the ammo? 75 rds is worth something and it varies a lot. Cheapo range ammo is about $40/50rds now. Personal defense ammo like HST is $50/20rds.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d think that $325 or for everything including the ammo would make for an easy sale, especially if you’re willing to sell to anyone privately with a carry card or purchase card to skip the fee and headache.

I’m not interested in that gun at all, but do you have anything else?

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Bill’s Gun Shop sells guns on consignment for 20% of selling price. No worries as they have lots of customers coming thru all the time and they do all the paperwork. It saves a lot of stress meeting unknown people and worrying about who you are selling to and things coming back to bite you.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Bill’s Gun Shop sells guns on consignment for 20% of selling price. No worries as they have lots of customers coming thru all the time and they do all the paperwork. It saves a lot of stress meeting unknown people and worrying about who you are selling to and things coming back to bite you.

Winner, thanks for the advice. I am going to stop by and talk to them.

I’m not interested in that gun at all, but do you have anything else?

He has 3 more guns the only one I know of was a 12 gauge Browning BPS. No idea what the other guns are. He probably told me at some point but don’t remember. He owned some land and did some deer hunting few years back so probably one is a deer rifle. I am getting the others next week.

stevenoak

I just reduced my inventory and helped a couple widows. Some gun shops take as little as 10 or 15%. Taking into account they handle the customers, shipping and the paperwork. I found it to be worth it to me. In most cases. They got me enough more for the gun. To pay their commission, or in one case almost 25% more on an older gun. Most guns were sold in a day or so. Some odd balls took a month. But we were working a higher price, as I was in no hurry. But for his sake anything that set a couple weeks I reduced. The foot traffic in gun stores is still nonstop. Half the people handling and buying a gun for the first time. They’re buyers. Not shoppers like long time gun owners.

Umy
    South Metro

Modern Sportsman in Burnsville can also help.

Home Page

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Tom,
    Feel free to PM me with the other guns. I collect Marlin, Winchester, and Browning long guns. I do also like Colts, especially their revolvers, but if you have a Colt-Burgess rifle or a nice Colt Lightning, I’m your huckleberry . IF the other 3 guns fall into the above criteria, please let me know, thank you!

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Here are a few closed auctions from gun broker if this helps. Used guns in recent times are worth what someone wants to pay. If it were me I would ask in the 350-375 range with the ammo if you have the original box and condition is like new. I also would be fine doing a private sale but if I do not directly know the individual I would verify they have a permit to purchase or carry and still fill out a bill of sale.

Attachments:
    1. r-scaled.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.