Self-Made Drag Disks

• Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I seem to recall a year or two ago that somebody here posted a step-by-step tutorial on improving ice reel drags by making your own out of material ordered from the internet. Additionally, I think there was commentary on striping factory lube and replacing with a better alternative…maybe Hot Sauce? Unfortunately, I didn’t print it to .pdf at the time nor am I remembering the author. Does anybody remember that and could you let me know who so that I can send them a PM. Alternatively, if the author reads this, could you re-post. Thanks in advance.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Every one of my reels (non quantum) get opened up, cleaned out with lighter fluid, then lubed with Quantum Hot Sauce. By far, the best cold weather lubricant on the market.

Sorry, can’t help ya on the drag discs.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve replaced drag disks with upgraded carbon fiber ones. For the relatively low cost, I wouldn’t bother making my own, but I am sure it would be easy if one could find a good material.

ps0345

I’ve replaced drag disks with upgraded carbon fiber ones. For the relatively low cost, I wouldn’t bother making my own, but I am sure it would be easy if one could find a good material.

Where did you get them?

revpilot
    Lake Erie

Smoothdrag.com

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Not positive here but if memory serves me correctly I think it was Joel Nelson who posted the upgrading drags post.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Great, that’s it. Thanks a bunch guys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.